AlmostHuman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Cybertruck
Occupation
Human
Country flag
@AlmostHuman - Thanks for being willing to test it. To clarify, you can get CCS 1 working, but not the higher power formats?
Both of the ChargePoint units I tested on charged at the same rate as they do for our Model X with that same Tesla banded CCS adaptor. There are some Electrify America CCS units not far from us that I will test some day as I know those are more powerful than the ~87kW ChargePoint unit I tested on Wednesday. My guess is that whatever the Tesla branded CCS adaptor is rated for the Cybertruck will max it out if the charger can push it.

Last edited:

Puhiniho

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
Pasting my post from a different thread. I have now tested this at two ChargePoint CCS stations.

************************************************************************************************

Just tested this tonight, worked just fine! Same CCS adapter I have used on the Model X over the years.

Tested CHAdeMO, it just errors out with a red charge light

Disclaimer! I have no idea if this in some way invalidates some warranty

Cybertruck software: 2024.14.3
Used the following adapters:

https://shop.evuniverse.com/products/emergency-breakaway-charging-adapter

https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter

1715497632058-dr.jpg

1715497703582-px.jpg

1715497774347-ea.png
It's unfortunate the breakaway "extender" is more expensive than the ccs adapter itself. Hopefully someone (tesla or 3rd party) will make a simple short extender that's reasonably priced for those that already have the ccs adapter.

AlmostHuman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Cybertruck
Occupation
Human
Country flag
It's unfortunate the breakaway "extender" is more expensive than the ccs adapter itself. Hopefully someone (tesla) will come with a short extender that's reasonable prices.
Yeah I know, I just needed to be able to use some CCS units quickly after we took delivery so I closed my eyes and hit submit on the order :)

jookyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24CTAWD 17MXP100D 23MX
Country flag
There are some Electrify America CCS units not far from us that I will test some day as I know those are more powerful than the ~87kW ChargePoint unit I tested on Wednesday.
Any chance you had time to test this? I'm about to drive to Alaska and will need something. Brilliant solution by the way. Cheers!

AlmostHuman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Cybertruck
Occupation
Human
Country flag
Any chance you had time to test this? I'm about to drive to Alaska and will need something. Brilliant solution by the way. Cheers!
Going to test it this morning. Will report back.

AlmostHuman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Cybertruck
Occupation
Human
Country flag
Charging on an Electrify America CCS unit right now. Arrived at 40% with the battery preconditioned by putting in a Supercharger as the destination, driving to the Supercharger and then to the Electrify America unit :)

Saw it hit 162 kW when I first started the charge then quickly went down to 142 kW. Will report the full charge curve when I get home and can snag the data from TeslaMate.

Tesla Cybertruck CCS Cybertruck Adapter IMG_8505

EDIT:

Charge curve from TeslaMate below. Even with the preconditioning of the battery it had the battery heater on from 40% to 70% (the blue line on the graph). Little hard to see the charge rate on the graph, added some different views as well.

Tesla Cybertruck CCS Cybertruck Adapter 1717085095999-71

Tesla Cybertruck CCS Cybertruck Adapter 1717085168947-09

Tesla Cybertruck CCS Cybertruck Adapter 1717085196682-36

Tesla Cybertruck CCS Cybertruck Adapter 1717085863293-px

Last edited:

Laird Popkin

First Name
Laird
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Y, ordered Cybertruck AWD Foundation
Occupation
Tech consultant
Country flag
You must have never used the CCS adapter with your cars.
The high voltage doesn't matter. The vehicle negotiates the voltage and charging current. I charge my Model Y off of CCS periodically with no issues.

Unless you have an immediate need for a CCS adapter, I would wait for Tesla to get an update out. The biggest reason is indeed to take advantage of the higher charging current and voltage.
CCS negotiates the voltage, true, but the thing you missed is that the Tesla CCS adapters are designed to support 400v and 250 kW charging used by the other Tesla cars and not the 800v and 350 kW used by the Cybertruck. That means that using a current CCS adapter to power a Cybertruck is running it at twice the voltage it was designed for, and at higher current, 350 kW rather than 250 kW.

mongo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
CCS negotiates the voltage, true, but the thing you missed is that the Tesla CCS adapters are designed to support 400v and 250 kW charging used by the other Tesla cars and not the 800v and 350 kW used by the Cybertruck. That means that using a current CCS adapter to power a Cybertruck is running it at twice the voltage it was designed for, and at higher current, 350 kW rather than 250 kW.
Voltage is higher than designed, but 350kW @ 800V (438 A) is lower current than 250kW @ 400V (625 A).
350kW at 400V (875 A) would be excessive.

jookyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24CTAWD 17MXP100D 23MX
Country flag
Charging on an Electrify America CCS unit right now. Arrived at 40% with the battery preconditioned by putting in a Supercharger as the destination, driving to the Supercharger and then to the Electrify America unit :)

Saw it hit 162 kW when I first started the charge then quickly went down to 142 kW. Will report the full charge curve when I get home and can snag the data from TeslaMate.

IMG_8505.jpeg

EDIT:

Charge curve from TeslaMate below. Even with the preconditioning of the battery it had the battery heater on from 40% to 70% (the blue line on the graph). Little hard to see the charge rate on the graph, added some different views as well.

1717085095999-71.png

1717085168947-09.png

1717085196682-36.png

1717085863293-px.png
Extremely helpful, solution, and information sharing. Love the pioneering.

Cheers!
Sponsored