Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
While the Tesla wall charger has a few nice features, if want to keep your options open, a J1772 charger is likely the better bet and works fine with the Tesla. Certainly if you own one, it's probably not worth spending $500 to change it out.

Personally, between the Model Y I own and love and the future Cybertruck, I'm likely Tesla only for 10+ years so wall charger all the way.
Sponsored

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
There is no reason to think that they would re-invent trailering system and make every existing trailer incompatible. I don't think you're all that familiar with trailers? They already are very easy to disconnect and reconnect except for WD systems.
Im not saying they would make all existing trailers obsolete, that wouldnt make any sense. I am talking about technology that allows for anyone driving with a trailer to be a trailering expert like you, apparently. If you havent noticed, Tesla loves to throw technology at problems that other OEMs say is good enough. This is how they differentiate themselves.

Im talking about tech that allows anyone to precisely line up the trailer with the ball, utilizing the adjustable suspension to connect the vehicle to the trailer, streaming wireless video via wireless camera link (which Elon spilled the beans on here), advanced weight distribution data with range impact estimates (here), possible wireless connections (lights & brake controllers) to the trailer itself with a proprietary Tesla adapter.

Im not saying the CT will have all of them, but even just a couple, being included with the vehicle standard, no aftermarket equipment required, would quickly set a high bar that other automakers currently dont reach.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag

I will agree with you that most of the existing charging stations make it quite difficult to charge with a trailer in tow, but I wouldn't say that Tesla has no plans for pull-thru stalls. This is an image directly from the Tesla.com Charging on the road page.

Tesla Cybertruck Charging stations. 1630356131729

Most of the recently installed Super charger stations I've seen have at least one pull-thru, or at least nose-in space at the end.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I hadn't really thought about this until now, but I imagine hooking up to a trailer will be a *lot* easier with 4 wheel steering. Having rear tires that turn instead of playing the game where you move the front end to turn the back end will be super nice.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Im talking about tech that allows anyone to precisely line up the trailer with the ball, utilizing the adjustable suspension to connect the vehicle to the trailer, streaming wireless video via wireless camera link (which Elon spilled the beans on here), advanced weight distribution data with range impact estimates (here), possible wireless connections (lights & brake controllers) to the trailer itself with a proprietary Tesla adapter.
Oh, all that stuff which already exists will be on the CT. Wireless will not, need power.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I will agree with you that most of the existing charging stations make it quite difficult to charge with a trailer in tow, but I wouldn't say that Tesla has no plans for pull-thru stalls. This is an image directly from the Tesla.com Charging on the road page.

1630356131729.png

Most of the recently installed Super charger stations I've seen have at least one pull-thru, or at least nose-in space at the end.
The big stations like that are fairly uncommon though. After 6 months of ownership I've yet to encounter one. Most of Supercharger stations seem to be much smaller and tucked into forgotten parking stalls in the back of shopping centers, strip malls, hotels, or restaurant parking lots. I've only found one with pull through parking at a strip mall.

Also, the promise of superchargers powered mostly by solar is still a ways off.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Since you seem to be familiar with this location (I thought it was just a rendering of an idea) can you tell me where it is so I can see it on Google maps? The sharp left isn't visible in the picture, and now I am curious about it.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Since you seem to be familiar with this location (I thought it was just a rendering of an idea) can you tell me where it is so I can see it on Google maps? The sharp left isn't visible in the picture, and now I am curious about it.
It looks like a Photoshopped stock photo to me, not a real photo. Could just be excessive HDR. But a reverse image search does not correspond to any one location, just lots of stock photos.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
While I'm not sure which tight left he might be referring to, I see a lot of things in this photo which might make it tough to get a trailer in and out. The whole green tree lawn in the foreground is just weird and makes it difficult to get to the exit on the right.

The first stall looks too tight for a lot of cars, that pillar looks to be about 4 foot from the chargers, right in the middle of what should be a lane. For that matter, the second pillar looks to be in the middle of a lane also.

All of the charging lanes look a bit narrow even for the Model Xs which are using them, let alone a trailer/ truck combo. Heck... some of the driveway areas on the exit look too narrow for traffic.

I'm not sure but this just looks like a weirdly done photoshop.

I can see a few stalls which might be trailer friendly though, on the far back end.

I think the goal for a trailer friendly site should be to have a few trailer accessible stalls, not all of them to be accessible.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Once the Tesla semis are common the charging stations will have to be drive through to allow a tractor trailer combination to charge without dropping the trailer. They would also be located on major state roads and Interstates. I would hope those stations would not be restricted to Commercial Vehicles only and would allow any EV with a trailer to charge at the normal charge rate. The fly in the ointment would be if the charging head would be larger and the voltage higher than a regular EV could tolerate. Maybe there could be dual charger heads to allow all EV's with a trailer to utilize them. Just my thoughts as a former professional trucker.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've seen some in Europe, but it seems premature to say they have no plans. Right now they need as many chargers deployed as possible.

-Crissa
I believe the ones in Baker are pull-through