scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Why? Why not just use your arms to close it and feel like a trucker while doing so? I don’t get why people want to have finicky electrical stuff that will inevitably be costly to replace when it breaks.
100%
I recall in college when the starter in my '76 Mustang went out and I had to replace it in my cousin's carport (Phoenix AZ area). That sucked!! If only I had a non-electrical alternative.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck bed fully exposed w/ look at storage compartment cubby and LED lighting aweYbOB

Mushadd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla has no need of using add-on gimmicks to differentiate themselves in the market, the difference is obvious.
Tesla has no need for gimmicks, yet they lead the market in them…Light show, arcade, rainbow road, fart sounds, boombox, romance mode, cowbell, etc.

Pretty sure Tesla also added a powered trunk on newer Model 3s, and even offer it as a retrofit add-on to older models, so a powered tailgate at some point isn’t a big stretch.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Tesla has no need for gimmicks, yet they lead the market in them…Light show, arcade, rainbow road, fart sounds, boombox, romance mode, cowbell, etc.
I don't see those as gimmicks. Having worked in the software business in the past, I see it happening like this...

"Boss, look what I did on my lunch break!"

"Dude, that's hilarious! Let's push this out in the next OTA update!"

"Cool!"

So the SW engineers that come up with goofy stuff get rewarded by having their stuff in an update and it now lives in the cars. I see that more of a reward for the coders that stretch it out for fun.

Mushadd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't see those as gimmicks. Having worked in the software business in the past, I see it happening like this...

"Cool!"

So the SW engineers that come up with goofy stuff get rewarded by having their stuff in an update and it now lives in the cars. I see that more of a reward for the coders that stretch it out for fun.
So a powered tailgate is a gimmick but the boombox feature isn’t? 🤔

Gimmick: a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

"Cool!"

Exactly! The difference between every Tesla "gimmick" @Mushadd mentioned, and a self closing tailgate is that the Tesla "gimmicks" are all software solutions, they add zero incremental cost as Tesla scales production higher and they never wear out or break. A faulty auto tailgate closing mechanism could require a physical recall of every vehicle built and, even a non-faulty mechanism will add cost and time to manufacture and it will eventually wear out and fail.

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Exactly! The difference between every Tesla "gimmick" @Mushadd mentioned, and a self closing tailgate is that the Tesla "gimmicks" are all software solutions, they add zero incremental cost as Tesla scales production higher and they never wear out or break. A faulty auto tailgate closing mechanism could require a physical recall of every vehicle built and, even a non-faulty mechanism will add cost and time to manufacture and it will eventually wear out and fail.
What's your take on Falcon doors?

Speedbump61

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
The side walls look thick enough to offer some storage, surprised there is none.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Looks like the R1T cubby, not as big as the Ridgeline.
The Rivian R1T "cubby" is sized to store a full size spare wheel. I wish Tesla did the same design. Sigh...

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck bed fully exposed w/ look at storage compartment cubby and LED lighting 1699022379802

you can always store the spare under the bed like most pick-ups do, though you will loose some of your clearance
Sponsored