John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
I reworked the drawing to make the pop top as wide (82") as the Cybertruck itself. With just a little increase in aerodynamic drag the unit can feature a king size bed.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate Widened CCV CT: front, rear, up rear

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate Widened CCV CT Rear & Side
Sponsored

Mcking

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
Install a spare tire on the tailgate of the pop-up roof cyber truck camper.
Tire dimensions are dia 35 x wide 12.5"(889 x 317.5mm).
The tailgate can be opened after turning the spare tire holder 90 degrees.
There are two types of pop-up roof (horizontal and inclined type).

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

W3.jpg

W4.jpg

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

F4.jpg
I think I’d prefer the flat type pop up, but the bed platform would have to elevate or pivot out of the way like in the Alu-Cab, so the you can have the full interior to stand up and move around. I’ve sent a few emails to CyberLandr asking if they planned to release a DIY version that can be built out by overlanders, campers, van lifers. Their response stated that they had discussed it at several engineering meetings and were aware of the potential marketability.

MestizoGris

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 and 3 bicycles
Occupation
Retired Energy Engineer
Country flag
I love the main idea, and the crowd-sourced/discussed design. With the right hitch design, you could mount tire right or left and have space for bikes, e-moto, etc. I prefer the wedge option with solar panels. Keep up the great work.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Yeah, it does look really cool. I wonder if they spare could be mounted to the hitch somehow? That way it could be removed.

Also, I think the spare should move from the left side to the right side, as the left side will have the charge port and with the spare you will be pressed for cable length at the superchargers.
There are a lot of options out there for spare tires mounted to the tow hitch

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I really hope that they include a spare. I mean its got a big cab, its got a frunk, its got the vault. why are they adding that little cubby in the bed of the vault floor. Seems like overkill and probably wont get used much. They should size that cubby for a spare. And even if not a full size spare then a smaller spare that the adjustable suspension with 16" of travel can accommodate for. Obviously there is a lot of concern about this trucks uses and not having a spare so why would we all need to add one in some creative way. The truck should have a spare built in.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I really hope that they include a spare. I mean its got a big cab, its got a frunk, its got the vault. why are they adding that little cubby in the bed of the vault floor. Seems like overkill and probably wont get used much. They should size that cubby for a spare. And even if not a full size spare then a smaller spare that the adjustable suspension with 16" of travel can accommodate for. Obviously there is a lot of concern about this trucks uses and not having a spare so why would we all need to add one in some creative way. The truck should have a spare built in.
There has been numerous threads that have discussed spare tires and I think most people agree that there probably won't be enough space in a concealed area of the vehicle for a full size spare. At least not from the photos that we have now of how the Cybertruck will probably be built. Maybe there could be room for a smaller spare but that's something I personally find unlikely.

As much as I and probably everyone who finds themselves with a flat wants a spare tire, I love having more storage space. I even took the spare out of my car for a summer because I was constantly running out of trunk space. Also apparently up to 85% of vehicles that have exceeded their life and end up being junked, still have their spare tires unused. Flat tires don't happen nearly as much as they used to, i can hardly remember any times i've seen someone on the side of the road with a flat tire. I even had an unpluggable tire once that I had to replace, but it was a slow leak and I actually made it to a shop before all the air went out after I seen my tire pressure going down on my TPMS.

Some people believe that they Cybertruck will come with a spare since all trucks come with a spare. However almost all cars also come with a spare tire, i've never even bought a vehicle that didn't have a spare included. Tesla on the other hand, doesn't include spares in their other vehicles either.

A lot of the people that i've heard talking about spares always makes it seem like it's 100% going to happen and that a spare is needed. But the chance to get a flat is pretty low, the chance that it will be unpluggable is lower, then it's only an issue if you aren't within range of a tire shop since you could fill your tire up even while it's leaking and probably still make it to one if you are in a city. So the majority of the time for a lot of people there, it won't really be an issue. If it happens in an area that you can't get it fixed and it can't be plugged, I would suggest having a towing subscription. I have CAA and I save more than the cost of my membership just from my vehicle/home insurance discounts, then there are tons of other places to get discounts for CAA/AAA members.

The only time that a spare is really needed is when you are super far from home or you are offroading. I would personally always carry a spare with me during those times but it's not like I need bed space while offroading and getting a hitch mounted spare would work great for roadtrips.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
There has been numerous threads that have discussed spare tires and I think most people agree that there probably won't be enough space in a concealed area of the vehicle for a full size spare. At least not from the photos that we have now of how the Cybertruck will probably be built. Maybe there could be room for a smaller spare but that's something I personally find unlikely.

As much as I and probably everyone who finds themselves with a flat wants a spare tire, I love having more storage space. I even took the spare out of my car for a summer because I was constantly running out of trunk space. Also apparently up to 85% of vehicles that have exceeded their life and end up being junked, still have their spare tires unused. Flat tires don't happen nearly as much as they used to, i can hardly remember any times i've seen someone on the side of the road with a flat tire. I even had an unpluggable tire once that I had to replace, but it was a slow leak and I actually made it to a shop before all the air went out after I seen my tire pressure going down on my TPMS.

Some people believe that they Cybertruck will come with a spare since all trucks come with a spare. However almost all cars also come with a spare tire, i've never even bought a vehicle that didn't have a spare included. Tesla on the other hand, doesn't include spares in their other vehicles either.

A lot of the people that i've heard talking about spares always makes it seem like it's 100% going to happen and that a spare is needed. But the chance to get a flat is pretty low, the chance that it will be unpluggable is lower, then it's only an issue if you aren't within range of a tire shop since you could fill your tire up even while it's leaking and probably still make it to one if you are in a city. So the majority of the time for a lot of people there, it won't really be an issue. If it happens in an area that you can't get it fixed and it can't be plugged, I would suggest having a towing subscription. I have CAA and I save more than the cost of my membership just from my vehicle/home insurance discounts, then there are tons of other places to get discounts for CAA/AAA members.

The only time that a spare is really needed is when you are super far from home or you are offroading. I would personally always carry a spare with me during those times but it's not like I need bed space while offroading and getting a hitch mounted spare would work great for roadtrips.
I agree that it’s very unlikely and tires seem better than they used to be. But my thought process goes if I will ever need a spare, then I will need to store a spare one way or another. I personally would much prefer that the spare is stored in the vehicle otherwise there is a good chance it will be sitting in my garage when I am out on the road and need it. I am a DIY sort of person and my garage is full of tools and bikes etc. The last thing I want is a big spare tire floating around the garage. All the vehicles I have owned have had spares hidden away. Maybe that is old school, but how many people stuck out in the wilderness does it take to justify adding that spare. I get city drivers may just be able to call a tow truck but this truck is marketed as this durable beast that can take sledge hammers and bullets. But just don’t get a flat. It just doesn’t line up. Anyway, I appreciate your input and you are probably right. I guess time will tell and either way I will be excited to see the truck.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I agree that it’s very unlikely and tires seem better than they used to be. But my thought process goes if I will ever need a spare, then I will need to store a spare one way or another. I personally would much prefer that the spare is stored in the vehicle otherwise there is a good chance it will be sitting in my garage when I am out on the road and need it. I am a DIY sort of person and my garage is full of tools and bikes etc. The last thing I want is a big spare tire floating around the garage. All the vehicles I have owned have had spares hidden away. Maybe that is old school, but how many people stuck out in the wilderness does it take to justify adding that spare. I get city drivers may just be able to call a tow truck but this truck is marketed as this durable beast that can take sledge hammers and bullets. But just don’t get a flat. It just doesn’t line up. Anyway, I appreciate your input and you are probably right. I guess time will tell and either way I will be excited to see the truck.
I'm the same way with my garage and I'll definitely have a spare but I do intend to find some place to store it at home.

I also wouldn't call having a spare in the vehicle old fashion, it's just not the Tesla way so far. Tesla even got rid of the Lumbar support for the front passenger because it was never being used. Tesla is very good at getting rid of things that don't get used by the majority of people.

As for tow trucks, I do a lot of camping and I do drive out of my way a lot. I've been towed a few times in my life and even if i'm out of the way, they still drive out since it's a commision for them. With my CAA membership, I can get a 320km tow and another four 200km tows per year. if i'm going outside 320km (200km if i used the 320km one aready) from home, I would put in the spare. But that's not really often enough for me to be too worried about a spare. Even If I go camping, that's only a couple hundred km away to my usual spot. If i'm within that range, I just tell them to tow it to my house and then I grab the spare from the truck.

As much as I want a spare, I can't fault Tesla if they don't put one in. The majority of Cybertruck owners probably won't be in a situation that they can't get a quick tow to a shop. For the minority that might be in that situation more often, there are solutions for good spare storage. like this hitch mount.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate 1623743672665
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate 1623743695209

OP
OP
pumpkin curry

pumpkin curry

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Dual Moter AWD
Occupation
Country flag
As much as I want a spare, I can't fault Tesla if they don't put one in. The majority of Cybertruck owners probably won't be in a situation that they can't get a quick tow to a shop. For the minority that might be in that situation more often, there are solutions for good spare storage. like this hitch mount.
1623743672665.png
1623743695209.png

This is the final version.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate F1-h2-íť‘

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate F2-h2-íť‘

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate F3-h2-íť‘

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate F4-h2-íť‘

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I reworked the drawing to make the pop top as wide (82") as the Cybertruck itself. With just a little increase in aerodynamic drag the unit can feature a king size bed.

As these two in the drawing demonstate, It is not about the size of the bed. It is about how it is used ;)

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate 1624934573950

Kidding aside, it is a very nice design.