Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
CT range limitations mean it is nearly useless for long range towing of larger trailers, boats etc.. It is still just fine for around town towing.

IMHO the likely 250 + or - 20 miles between charges is probably adequate for long distance travel in areas with good numbers of superchargers. Not optimal but adequate.

The foundation CT as currently available has an awful lot of compromises and disappointments for a 100k TRUCK!!!
maybe the same package on road tires with rebates bringing the price to the 70k range will look a whole lot better, maybe not.

I am beginning to see what Elon meant when he said digging our own grave with the CT.
Sponsored

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The batteries are the batteries. For long time Tesla owners, what should we expect in terms of a software update to help the overall range and charging speeds?

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Realistically the sweet spot is going to be when an EV truck like the CT can deliver 500 miles of claimed EPA range on a full charge because that means that in the 2nd or 3rd year of owning the vehicle, the owner can actually get a couple of hundred highway miles when towing a trailer.... or for the many truck owners who do regularly take their trucks longer distances and don't want to be hassled with stopping for an hour long charging session, if that's even an option.

Charging once every three hours won't be a big deal for some people but it will be a very big deal for others.
I agree with everything you stated above. I've said similar on multiple threads. I think Tesla took a calculated risk and decided it was better to provide an EV mall crawler truck that is very tough and has a lot of capability, just not range to service rural customers or people that would be driving long distances on a regular basis. The original range estimate of 500 miles was one of the specs that had me excited for the CT.

This is just conjecture, but I think Tesla thought they would be getting more energy density out of the batteries by now. I have to assume they thought the battery packs were going to be supplying in the 175 to 200 kWhr range. I think Tesla had to pivot a bit because they couldn't fit that much battery into the CT.

The current configuration seems more like an effort to replace city driving trucks but won't be replacing your average 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck that drives out in the country, gets taken to the hunting property, etc. If they would have just figured out the battery chemistry to get this thing to 175 kWhr without taking up bed space or adding very much weight, then the CT would have overdelivered on what was promised at the reveal several years ago. Instead, it is looking more and more like a tech marvel with some truly revolutionary pieces, but a disappointing end result regarding charging times and range. The range test by Kyle Conner / out of spec reviews shows what people might expect on road trips. Nothing has released yet regarding actual charging times, but the undertones/hints are that the charging curve for the CT (right now) are not good. It will be interesting to see what tests show and then if that improves with any OTA updates.

Haopec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P100d, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I went from 2.05 miles/kwh to 1.72 changing from 21" road tires to 20" ATs on my R1T.
I think the CT did pretty damn good considering it's bigger, wider. Results don't surprise me, I just hope I can still make my 75mile hill climb with my boat and RV to the lake..

Screenshot_20231231_084140_Photos.jpg

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
IMHO the likely 250 + or - 20 miles between charges is probably adequate for long distance travel in areas with good numbers of superchargers. Not optimal but adequate.
This is the rub, however. On a supercharger you are not going to be able to charge to more than 85% without very long charging cycles, and one really needs to leave 10% as a buffer, so you are realistically at ~190 usable range in this test which is in flat terrain with a new, maximum capacity vehicle, and in chilly but above freezing and clear, low wind conditions. Each person will have their own requirements. For us, the "405 mile" Model S is the perfect road trip vehicle. For another manufacturer, 350 miles would be good as long as they have access to the SC network.

Super disappointed if not entirely surprised by this. Wife is going to be furious when I tell her no on the order. LOL

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
I was watching last night when he started the test but it was 1 am here so I got too tired to watch it all.

I expected around 235 miles in 46 degrees so it was better than I thought.

If it gets 250 on the highway for me then I’m good with it. Road trips will be long though with the charging times.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
This is the rub, however. On a supercharger you are not going to be able to charge to more than 85% without very long charging cycles, and one really needs to leave 10% as a buffer, so you are realistically at ~190 usable range in this test which is in flat terrain with a new, maximum capacity vehicle, and in chilly but above freezing and clear, low wind conditions. Each person will have their own requirements. For us, the "405 mile" Model S is the perfect road trip vehicle. For another manufacturer, 350 miles would be good as long as they have access to the SC network.

Super disappointed if not entirely surprised by this. Wife is going to be furious when I tell her no on the order. LOL
You don't nominally need to more than 80% and when you get some experience, you'll find that you want to hit the Supercharger at well under 10%.
You can't use ICE wisdom with EVs.

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3 (2), Model X
Country flag
It's time for all good men of conscience (and the 1 woman) with Cybertruck reservations to cancel immediately! We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore. Go to Tesla.com and cancel that reservation today ...

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
If it gets 250 on the highway for me then I’m good with it. Road trips will be long though with the charging times.
If you are a drive straight for 10 hours it will be longer.
But for many who stop about every 3 hours or so, it just right.

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
CT range limitations mean it is nearly useless for long range towing of larger trailers, boats etc.. It is still just fine for around town towing.

The foundation CT as currently available has an awful lot of compromises and disappointments for a 100k TRUCK!!!
maybe the same package on road tires with rebates bringing the price to the 70k range will look a whole lot better, maybe not.

I am beginning to see what Elon meant when he said digging our own grave with the CT.
You're not going to get "likely 250 + or - 20 miles between charges".

You would have to charge to 100%, which is not recommended. For daily charging 80%, or so, is recommended. With ICE vehicles, like your VW GTI, you just fill up the tank till it's full. Secondly, with electric cars, there's not a supercharger at every other corner, like with gas stations, so it's not practical to drive till you have a couple miles left "in the tank" and start thinking about a place to "gas-up", like you can do with an ICE vehicle. So with electric cars, the "normal realistic range" is discounted a bit compared to ICE vehicles. You don't want to drive till you run of of juice like Kyle did, do you?

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model X, 2017 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
It's time for all good men of conscience (and the 1 woman) with Cybertruck reservations to cancel immediately! We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore. Go to Tesla.com and cancel that reservation today ...
I agree, especially if your reservation number is lower than mine!

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
I agree, especially if your reservation number is lower than mine!
Yeah, I still want one too! I'll just be plugging it in every (or every other) night. But most of us probably have no problem with that, or we plug in every day anyways. It's only an issue for longer trips. Hopefully everybody who wants one has another vehicle in the family that can do the heavy lifting for needed long road trips!!!

Last edited:

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I went from 2.05 miles/kwh to 1.72 changing from 21" road tires to 20" ATs on my R1T.
I think the CT did pretty damn good considering it's bigger, wider. Results don't surprise me, I just hope I can still make my 75mile hill climb with my boat and RV to the lake..

Screenshot_20231231_084140_Photos.jpg
fantastic choice in color scheme and style of the rim!
Sponsored