RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
You or your guests can park anywhere in your apartment and charge your CT. You don’t have to compete for limited EV spots as all parking spots will have an induction charging. You don’t have to go back to your car to move somewhere else when you are done charging. Guests with ICE vehicles don’t have frown on empty EV spots when there are no other parking spots available. You don’t have to load/unload grocery at one spot and take the vehicle to dedicated charging spot to charge. You can keep sentry mode all the time and not worry about the battery drain. You can set the ideal temperature, defrost the car, and do any battery intensive stuff without worrying about draining the battery in any random parking spot. You can keep your dog there comfortably without worrying about the charge.
If your spouse kicks you out of the house in the middle of a snowstorm, you can sleep in your CT comfortably in camp mode and still have full battery next day. I can keep going. The benefits from induction charging are huge my friend!
Don't see what your point is, induction charging doesn't magically create electricity out of thin air, you still need to run power to every single parking spot. Plug-in charging would be no different other than having to physically plug-in once you get out of the vehicle.

Low power AC charging is much cheaper to install than DCFC and doesn't require vehicle throughput. You just park your car where you normally park it and it's charged the next day, just like people charging at home. This is much better than driving to a DCFC station and waiting for a charge, and possibly waiting in line for an open space. I'm not sure why you think vandalism/theft is more limited in curbside or parking garage charging than DCFC.
My comment wasn't about the merits of DCFC vs AC charging. It was about AC plug-in charging vs AC induction charging.

Unlike DCFC where induction vs plug-in offers some clear benefits, mainly for robotaxis, there's much less of a benefit in the AC only scenario. Induction AC is more expensive than plug-in AC and theft is less of an issue because there's not enough copper in the cable to make it worthwile. On top of the fact that apartment complex and condo parking is less vulnerable to vandalism/theft than public DCFC stations.

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Inductive charging along our roadways will actualize my dream of having my Cybertruck summoned in for my use in New York when In fly out of San Jose, CA airport.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
Don't see what your point is, induction charging doesn't magically create electricity out of thin air, you still need to run power to every single parking spot. Plug-in charging would be no different other than having to physically plug-in once you get out of the vehicle.
lol! Clearly you don’t want to see the point. Nobody is dumb enough to think that induction will create electricity out of thin air. If that happens, then humanity will go to the next ring in terms of technological jump.

Are you that naive to think that hands free charging is same effort as plugging in cable, or do you just want to troll Cybertruck because it’s the only vehicle that has a game changer potential to have fully automated hand free charging?

Having charging poles sticking out and charging cables running around is same as having electric poles with cables running over your home. Do you see that in newer neighborhood? The future is all about running wires underground and making things as automated as possible. It’s sad there are people who want to drag their feet and troll futuristic possibilities.

You’re welcome to stick with whatever choice best works for you, but know that futuristic technology is all about making things as automated as possible. That’s the only way to increase adoption. Induction EV charging is one of them. Here’s more proof on why people will adopt - go find a person who is still using latest iPhone with wired earphones or ask why people are buying wireless phone charging when it only takes 2 seconds to plugin USB cable or ask Tesla why they put wireless phone charging in CT. You might find the answer you are looking for, unless you don’t see any point there as well.

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I could see the entire Tesla diner parking lot covered in wireless charger pads and you just pull up and go eat. Then boom you charged up some.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
I could see the entire Tesla diner parking lot covered in wireless charger pads and you just pull up and go eat. Then boom you charged up some.
That’ll be so awesome! Imagine this in Mall parking lots. You can literally park in any floor, and when you come back after watching a movie or lunch, your CT is loaded and ready for next adventure. We don’t have to do any separate pit stop for 20 mins. Range anxiety will virtually go away if the infrastructure upgrades to do full inductive charging on all parking lots.
I agree on the logistics part of it. Whenever there is a technological jump, it does take time for the infrastructure to catch up. As many businesses will benefit from this, I’m hoping that the push is going to be strong.

Induction charging need not be mutually exclusive with traditional cable charging. I still run all my devices through wired ethernet. It’s just about adding more convenience and flexibility. When there is a better and more flexible way of charging EV, it’s logical to use that. Using one doesn’t mean that the other option is not ideal. Even if the induction charging becomes mainstream, many folks might prefer cable charging at their home for faster charging.

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
On top of the fact that apartment complex and condo parking is less vulnerable to vandalism/theft than public DCFC stations
I said "curbside parking and parking garages" which is different and what is available to people in cities, you know, where the majority of the population resides. The benefits of induction over cables is obvious in those cases.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Sketchy charge locations / people.
Inductive charging doesn't solve this. It can not, and will not, ever provide the level of charge needed for high speed or even highway speed charging.

What will solve this is more chargers and reading reviews of charging locations.

This is no different than sketchy gas stations. And honestly, you're just very unlikely to be targeted at a charging site with multiple witnesses and so many cameras.

Maybe this is how they will connect the bed battery pack?
No. The range extender needs really high voltage high amperage connections. Bigger than this.

I wonder how much extra range you would get if every stop light had some pads for charging. It would only be 1-2 minutes and it probably wouldn't be under every car. But over the course of a week would that get you an extra 1-2 miles or would it be significantly more?
About 2/3rds of mile per stop (assuming no handshake difficulties or missing the pads).

For AC charging it's a solution to a non existent problem, taking...
Taxi stands, fleet vehicles, busses. Taking a minute to plug and unplug while you're in line is not a 'nonexistent problem'. During peak usage, they sit in places for several minutes and the driver is already busy. Throw some juice into it.

Very valid point on reserved EV spots, and probably the most important of all. It’s a perfect win-win for everyone. EV owners don’t have to compete to get a spot, and ICE owners don’t have to complain about reserved EV spots. We all can leave in harmony and happily ever after!
That's ridiculous. Induction pads cost more than outlets and cables. Reserved EV spots are because the chargers are expensive and rare.

Inductive charging along our roadways will actualize my dream of having my Cybertruck summoned in for my use in New York when In fly out of San Jose, CA airport.
This cannot do that. A Cybertruck at speed uses 0.41kWh per minute at 70. This adds 0.16kWh per minute.

You're in the tiny minority.
There's a time when time-synced data is more important, and times when it isn't.

Which is why I have multiple sets of headphones.

-Crissa

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
didnt read the six pages of thread, but:

these things don’t tend to be light

be curious to see what this does to payload (it sits behind rear axel) if not a bit to range (it’ll possibly increase rolling resistance)

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

be curious to see what this does to payload (it sits behind rear axel) if not a bit to range (it’ll possibly increase rolling resistance)
You're alive! Lol

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

How much do you imagine it would weigh that it would have any noticeable effect?

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Precisely.

lol! Clearly you don’t want to see the point. Nobody is dumb enough to think that induction will create electricity out of thin air. If that happens, then humanity will go to the next ring in terms of technological jump.

Are you that naive to think that hands free charging is same effort as plugging in cable, or do you just want to troll Cybertruck because it’s the only vehicle that has a game changer potential to have fully automated hand free charging?
The point is the scenario you outlined as game changing is equally possible with wired charging. Where induction charging is actually game changing is for robotaxis, but that use case also need DCFC charging capability, which this doesn't support.

You’re welcome to stick with whatever choice best works for you, but know that futuristic technology is all about making things as automated as possible. That’s the only way to increase adoption. Induction EV charging is one of them. Here’s more proof on why people will adopt - go find a person who is still using latest iPhone with wired earphones or ask why people are buying wireless phone charging when it only takes 2 seconds to plugin USB cable or ask Tesla why they put wireless phone charging in CT. You might find the answer you are looking for, unless you don’t see any point there as well.
EVs are not wearables. The comparison can be made with the iPhone itself, wired charging was not a limiting factor for smartphone adoption, the same thing goes for EVs.

I said "curbside parking and parking garages" which is different and what is available to people in cities, you know, where the majority of the population resides. The benefits of induction over cables is obvious in those cases.
You also stated apartment and condo dwellers. Depends on the type of install, a parking garage is unlikely to be torn up so it'll be equally exposed. Curbside parking is a fair point, to be seen how common this will be given the costs involved.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
If I owned a hotel, I might be more inclined to install charging mats that I didn't have to worry about cut cords or smooshed connectors.

I know... there aren't any compatible EVs so why would anyone install any? Chicken and Egg...
Sponsored