TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
I spent a career around boats and ships (and still do). It isn't going to be able to be useful in wind or current without some modifications. It may float, but not sure how valuable that will be if your only forward/aft movement is from the tires. Any side current is quickly going to sweep it away. Turning the wheels will won't result in a turn if you can't generate forward momentum, can't see it being able to hold a course in all but flat calm conditions. Amphibious vehicles have serious maintenance challenges and need propellers for propulsion, don't see that happening on the CT. There have been a lot of tragedies involving amphibious boats - https://abc7news.com/duck-boat-table-rock-lake-ride-the-ducks-branson-mo/3793587/.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

I mean they made the most amphibious vehicles ever out of the VW bug in WW2 called the Schwimmwagen 80 years ago, I think we can do it with a CT by now. :)

220px-VW_Schwimmwagen_1.jpg
----------------

The VW Schwimmwagen has a propeller as main propulsion in water and uses front wheels as rudder. Came standard with paddles too. Driver and passengers still often also used paddles to help propel or steer.

----------------

Volkswagen Type 166 Schwimmwagen – Erwin Komenda’s Amphibious 4×4
Written by Ben Branch | February 18th 2020
https://silodrome.com/volkswagen-type-166-schwimmwagen/

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck is waterproof enough to serve as a boat to cross rivers, lakes & calm seas -- confirms Musk 🚤 Volkswagen-Type-166-Schwimmwagen-Paddle

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck is waterproof enough to serve as a boat to cross rivers, lakes & calm seas -- confirms Musk 🚤 Volkswagen-Type-166-Schwimmwagen-Propeller-740x512

----------------

Volkswagen Schwimmwagen (literally "swimming car") was a four-wheel drive amphibious vehicle, used extensively by German ground forces during the Second World War.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Schwimmwagen

Prototyped as the Type 128, it entered full-scale production as the Type 166 in 1941 for the Wehrmacht.

15,584 Type 166 Schwimmwagen were produced from 1941 through 1944; 14,276 at Fallersleben and 1,308 by Porsche; the VW 166 is the most-produced amphibious car in history.

Technology
All Schwimmwagens were four-wheel drive in first gear (and reverse gears on some models) only and had ZF self-locking differentials on the front and rear axles. As with the KĂĽbelwagen, the Schwimmwagen had rear portal axles, which provided increased ground clearance, while at the same time reducing drive-line torque stresses with their gear reduction at the wheels. The Schwimmwagen had a top speed of 50 miles per hour (80 km/h) on land. When crossing a body of water a screw propeller could be lowered down from the rear deck/engine cover. When in place a simple coupling provided drive straight from an extension of the engine's crankshaft. This meant that screw propulsion always drove forward. The Schwimmwagen had a top speed of 10 km/h (6 mph) in the water. For reversing in the water there was the choice of using the standard equipment paddle or running the land drive in reverse, allowing the wheel-rotation to slowly take the vehicle back. The front wheels doubled up as rudders, so steering was done with the steering wheel both on land and on water. The Schwimmwagen could also be steered by the passengers using the aforementioned paddles

----------------

Last edited:

bad61

First Name
TODD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 volt and 2013 ford ev getting cybertruck
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
My big thing is having all the options to hook things up. A front and back with universal three. three quarter hitches and the electrical outlets or inlets. Solar. Wind If I had to live in my car or truck the CT would be it. This will make you money too. It's a traveling power station. Have power going to every hitch so you could put as many little car helping gadgets as possible. 240 at your fingertips. The Swiss Knife of Vehicles. If you get stuck Put hoist like tool in front or back Lower front or back letting weight shift, and your hoist would either push pull or lift to the side. Change a tire, half the time. Cameras on all side's bonuse. This truck should never stay stuck with four-wheel steer.

Last edited:

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag
Perfect. The seas are pretty calm between San Diego and Hawaii, so a trolling motor and some solar panels are my best friends. What could happen?
I say we use it for tow in surfing out at the Cortes Bank as we make the SD-HI crossing. Might as well while we're out there right?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I spent a career around boats and ships (and still do). It isn't going to be able to be useful in wind or current without some modifications. It may float, but not sure how valuable that will be if your only forward/aft movement is from the tires. Any side current is quickly going to sweep it away. Turning the wheels will won't result in a turn if you can't generate forward momentum, can't see it being able to hold a course in all but flat calm conditions. Amphibious vehicles have serious maintenance challenges and need propellers for propulsion, don't see that happening on the CT. There have been a lot of tragedies involving amphibious boats - https://abc7news.com/duck-boat-table-rock-lake-ride-the-ducks-branson-mo/3793587/.
An optional 20kW electric powered water jet propulsion unit with reversing bucket would provide enough propulsion and manoeuvrability for the CT to make it capable enough to be useful. Besides I think EM might even be eyeing the Army(s) as potential clients. He already flies for them.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Water and electronics don't mix. You might ford a creek fine several times only to be haunted by circuit board failures 2 years later. It is nice to know it has that capability though in an emergency.
That's why it's important that the drive train is sealed. Which is why the idea the truck is sealed is not all that far-fetched. It needs to be able to survive being immersed like any other vehicle on a wet road or a truck putting a boat into the water or crossing a river ford. And it may be the easiest way to do that is to make it completely sealed.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
im actually sort of hyped about this. i SO HOPE this is actually usable and not just a gimmick... I mean its not like one would needs to use this often. But I dont want to buy a boat

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
im actually sort of hyped about this. i SO HOPE this is actually usable and not just a gimmick... I mean its not like one would needs to use this often. But I dont want to buy a boat
Best part is no part. Best boat is not a boat.

Best boat is Cybertruck - boat - river wader - sleeper (camp mode) - dog mode - chauffeur (FSDdriver) - tow of trailers

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Best part is no part. Best boat is not a boat.

Best boat is Cybertruck - boat - river wader - sleeper (camp mode) - dog mode - chauffeur (FSDdriver) - tow of trailers
Don't forget ticket to blast off to Mars. FSD of course.