Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Well, it looks like Austin. Those are the same arrangement of cranes, colors, and pillars.

-Crissa
True, but the roof is very different as pointed out elsewhere, along with other aspects of the interior. It might very well be in Italy where it is true that they assemble and test, then disassemble for transport. That ought to be fun.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This is good news of course, just later than any of us would have wanted. Assuming that they demo next month, they could disassemble, crate, and ship it over maybe by august. So they could definitely have it installed and cranking out CT castings by the end of the year.

All this said, last spring IDRA said that they had had the first order for an 8K- ton gigapress, so why do we all suddenly believe that this 9K-ton gigapress is for the CT?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
We don’t even know this is the one they will use for the Cybertruck.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
All this said, last spring IDRA said that they had had the first order for an 8K- ton gigapress, so why do we all suddenly believe that this 9K-ton gigapress is for the CT?
IDRA said it was for a customer who had a collection of gigapresses already. The collection they described is the same as the known orders Tesla has.

Tesla is known to have gigacasting plans for only one of the three unreleased cars it has completed engineering on.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
IDRA said it was for a customer who had a collection of gigapresses already. The collection they described is the same as the known orders Tesla has.

Tesla is known to have gigacasting plans for only one of the three unreleased cars it has completed engineering on.

-Crissa
@Crissa, that doesn't address my comment. Tesla could order aboth 8Kt and 9Kt gigapresses for the CT. We know that the 8Kt order was placed last year. The 9Kt machine is new.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
@Crissa, that doesn't address my comment. Tesla could order aboth 8Kt and 9Kt gigapresses for the CT. We know that the 8Kt order was placed last year. The 9Kt machine is new.
I can't help it if the facts don't answer your question! I'm sorry, Tesla and Elon haven't mentioned the 9t or its purpose yet. It's all speculation.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
9K machine is for the Cyber transit Van.

Obviously !!!!!! jeeez :p

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The 8000t press was meantioned a long time ago. It is completely possible that they changed specs to 9000t once the engineers added it all up or Tesla did some testing and realized that the rear cast had to be bigger due to adding a mid gate.
Also I don't think the tonnage is a reference to clamping force but is the force at which the molten metal is injected.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Does anyone have facts in regarding the Semi? Does/will it use a casting? Is the 8t for CT and the 9t for Semi? Or better yet is the 9t for RoboTaxi for entire car? So may possibilities and speculations. Please don't kill brain cells over "what if's". Overall I agree, progress is progress. As I can't say the same for legacy auto.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Guessing it's a conversion/rounding error.

8000 Metric Tons = 8818 Tons.

Maybe Italy is converting to American Tons because it's coming to America?

(I don't really believe that, just throwing out an idea.)

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
The 8000t press was meantioned a long time ago. It is completely possible that they changed specs to 9000t once the engineers added it all up or Tesla did some testing and realized that the rear cast had to be bigger due to adding a mid gate.
Also I don't think the tonnage is a reference to clamping force but is the force at which the molten metal is injected.
The force of the molten metal is injected would be a pressure, stated in so much force/per area. The 9000 tons is just a total force so likely the clamping force of the two halves of the injection molding dies. The metal goes in at such a high pressure it's like an explosion that happens between the two halves of the die so a lot of force is needed at that instant.

Last edited:

Spartacus

First Name
I said Mark with a "C"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Prius, KTM Super Duke
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Holy Motherfucking SHIT. That thing is beyond huge. And there's only one place in the world slated to install a Giga press. Giga Austin, thank you very much. Cybertruck is getting closer, I can almost smell it a la Anthony Hopkins.
You kiss your mother with that mouth?
Sponsored