Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Model X is a really solid base for Cybertruck efficiency. I find it unlikely CT will be more efficient than the Model X which is 321 Wh/ mile.

I suspect Cybertruck will fall somewhere between that number an your 400 Wh/ mile. Likely much closer to your number than the Model X efficiency.
Agreed. My thoughts are that CT comes in slightly more efficient than a Rivian R1T and Ford F150 Lightning. Seems safe to assume a bigger, sharper, flatter, less aero-er CT to come in at ~400. Which is why I base all my calculations on 2.5 miles per kWh @TyPope

R1T480 wh/mi
Lightning480 wh/mi
Model X 2022 LR330 wh/mi
Model X Plaid 22370 wh/mi

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Range Prediction + Cell Calculation + More [Sources] 1668836880768
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Agreed. My thoughts are that CT comes in slightly more efficient than a Rivian R1T and Ford F150 Lightning. Seems safe to assume a bigger, sharper, flatter, less aero-er CT to come in at ~400. Which is why I base all my calculations on 2.5 miles per kWh @TyPope

R1T480 wh/mi
Lightning480 wh/mi
Model X 2022 LR330 wh/mi
Model X Plaid 22370 wh/mi

1668836880768.png
It is quite weird that the Rivian isnā€™t significantly more efficient than the F150 considering the F150 is so much bigger.

Cybertruck is also bigger than the Rivian, but it might have a lower wind cross-section. Itā€™s definitely wider, just thinking perhaps itā€™s thinner, sort of a pancake truck. I ā€œmeasuredā€ the Cybertruck against the F150 and seem to recall it was 4-6 inches less thick. They end up the same height, but the F150 has far less ground clearance.

OP
OP
samroy92

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Cybertruck is also bigger than the Rivian, but it might have a lower wind cross-section. Itā€™s definitely wider, just thinking perhaps itā€™s thinner, sort of a pancake truck. I ā€œmeasuredā€ the Cybertruck against the F150 and seem to recall it was 4-6 inches less thick. They end up the same height, but the F150 has far less ground clearance.
And it goes without saying that Model X has to be more aero than CT, based on cross sectional area alone. Not to mention total drag coefficient.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And it goes without saying that Model X has to be more aero than CT, based on cross sectional area alone. Not to mention total drag coefficient.
Seems like it should. Unless there is something really crazy going on.

One weird thing. The Cybertruck might be lighter than the Model X If itā€™s unloaded. Between the exoskeleton and heavy things like the falcon wing doors, and the potentially more efficient battery (it isnā€™t there yet, but maybe). The shorter range Cybertrucks might be lighter.

But that effects range less than aero.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I donā€™t plan on driving long distances and still want the long range battery so that I can use the dog mode while at the beach here in Hawaii.

OP
OP
samroy92

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I donā€™t plan on driving long distances and still want the long range battery so that I can use the dog mode while at the beach here in Hawaii.
Don't worry about that. Even if the Cybertruck had 320mi of range on the launch versions that would mean: 320mi/2.5mi per kwh == 128kWh battery pack. That's enough to power an average US household for a few days. Not to mention you can survive 2 days in the bitter cold of Norwegian winters with a Model 3 (74kWh) battery:

So no worries and aloha Michael @Cybertruck Hawaii :

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Range Prediction + Cell Calculation + More [Sources] 1668872084637

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Don't worry about that. Even if the Cybertruck had 320mi of range on the launch versions that would mean: 320mi/2.5mi per kwh == 128kWh battery pack. That's enough to power an average US household for a few days. Not to mention you can survive 2 days in the bitter cold of Norwegian winters with a Model 3 (74kWh) battery:

1668872084637.png
šŸ˜ŠThank you for the information. My dog will be very happy to know that the dog mode can chill out in comfort.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Unless you are leaving your dog in your truck at the beach for days at a time, itā€™s not needed.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

1668872084637.png
šŸ˜ŠI donā€™t understand the technical details and rely on you experience owners of electric vehicles who make it simple to learn from.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unless you are leaving your dog in your truck at the beach for days at a time, itā€™s not needed.
šŸ˜ŠNot to worry, I wonā€™t be staying at the beach for a long time. I donā€™t want to be mistaken for a homeless person.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
This battery may not be the same as the one going into the CT.
Bingo!

There is a lot of battery wastage as Tesla develops the manufacturing equipment for 4680 cells. Logically, Tesla would use the least expensive chemistry until the machines have the mechanics of rolling out cells down pat.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
šŸ˜ŠNot to worry, I wonā€™t be staying at the beach for a long time. I donā€™t want to be mistaken for a homeless person.
Just for reference, Iā€™ve used camp mode several times when it was cold and it burns between 5-10% of the battery overnight. Not sure how that would compare to AC in Hawaii, but it was just around freezing temperature on the evening I burned 10% power.

I suspect so long as you park in the shade or put window shades on the car itā€™ll be just a couple percent for a couple hours on the beach.

OP
OP
samroy92

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
How much does a cell cost to produce? Do we have any idea?
It's hard to say because there is a lot of factors in cost of battery manufacturing but between $100-$150 per kWh at the pack level. Cost of raw materials has fluctuated a lot in the last few years but at least we can make a range of cost.

Cost of a 150kWh CT pack may cost between $15,000-$22,500 to build
Sponsored