Cybertruck Tire Size Options What Do You Choose?

OP
OP
TI4Dan

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
Hey Lance, what this was really... is, I'm not going to let someone that has no clue of my knowledge or skillset tell me what I can and cannot do with my CyberTruck. That's all. And, see... it ended, except for you.

In the end, I will do whatever I do. And, I expect that everyone will do the same. I opt for high end tech when it comes to my truck. Too, the CT is already built relatively high end. I like enough travel, enhanced significantly by better compression/rebound damping, and less unsprung weight. I like it to be able to go anywhere, do anything... then, what I do around my property, won't break it over the years of doing stupid. Does that make sense? To me it does, and that's good 'nuff. peace
When you get your CT, I hope your share your experience with bigger tires with the rest of us.
Sponsored

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Hey Lance, what this was really... is, I'm not going to let someone that has no clue of my knowledge or skillset tell me what I can and cannot do with my CyberTruck. That's all. And, see... it ended, except for you.

In the end, I will do whatever I do. And, I expect that everyone will do the same. I opt for high end tech when it comes to my truck. Too, the CT is already built relatively high end. I like enough travel, enhanced significantly by better compression/rebound damping, and less unsprung weight. I like it to be able to go anywhere, do anything... then, what I do around my property, won't break it over the years of doing stupid. Does that make sense? To me it does, and that's good 'nuff. peace
You can do whatever you want. I just said show me. You said some use tech and materials that enhance strength and make it lighter. So show me. Like everyone else who owns a truck I think we'd all like to see how to make a useful 40" truck wheel set up lighter then 35" set up.

Why didn't you even try to show that?

DES

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D
Occupation
Software Developer & Farmer
Country flag
I’m sure Tesla will have some tire options including those 35” tires from the reveal. However, I’m guessing the 500+ miles on the tri-motor will not be with the largest tires, but likely smaller more normal sized tires and rims.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I’m sure Tesla will have some tire options including those 35” tires from the reveal. However, I’m guessing the 500+ miles on the tri-motor will not be with the largest tires, but likely smaller more normal sized tires and rims.
I really tempered my expectations at the reveal at was pleasantly surprised. I continued to temper them when Battery Day was coming and many were hoping the new battery tech was going to push the CT well past the mileage numbers previously revealed. I assumed they already knew where the tech was headed and the Battery Day tech was already baked into the numbers at the reveal. But I'm really hoping the specs at the reveal are with stock 35" tires. You might be right, but a full size truck with 16" of clearance at it's max ride height is going to look a little silly with stock 32" truck tires under it. The Raptor comes with stock 35s, so the CT should also.

ericpdb2

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Prius
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Any Scientific Wild Ass Guesses about the tri-motor will really need to have the 500 mile range and 0-60 in 2.9? SWAGs about what might increase highway range? Lower 0-60? My use will probably be 90% road, 5% gravel, and 5% nasty to scare people. I am willing to forego the nasty if it makes a huge difference in highway range and 0-60. Also, any creative ideas about a 'temporary' (a couple of hundred miles of gentle use) spare? I've not been without a spare since I was a broke student about 50 years ago. I seldom travel where AAA is not available, so I am less worried about a jack.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Cybertruck rolled out on stage with 35" tires made by Goodyear. At this time that particular tire is not
in production with the special spoke moulding on the side wall. What rim and tires sizes would you like to
see as a option? The rim size is not mentioned so this is my best guess.
35 12.5 r 20. My choice would be a 35 12.5 r 18 and if bigger rims are used 35 12.5 r 22.
Cybertruck needs more tire width. Its stance is light.

Heads up Tesla, oversize CT wheel wells. I will spend on tire fitment over time. A Factory wheel that is 16”-17” x 9-9 ½ “ width will probably never need to be replaced. I will find a tire compound, width of tire face and tread design for my pot holes, washes, rock and sand. I don’t see a need, personally, beyond 35” for sidewall flex. But floatation…???

Ludicrous mode, boulevard wheel size>17” and leather are wasted specs, on my needs. Range, torque and ride comfort come first after price.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Running air ride improves the ride quality, just hope the CT comes with different ride setting

having air ride will improve the ride quality over conventional springs, so maybe less tyre wall will give a more controlled ride. Can’t wait to see what setting the CT will have out of the box. Being able to simply adjust the pressures by a few PSI is really handy for a difference of soft, medium or stiff ride.
Damn… was expecting Tesla to engineer “stiff” ride quality out of its product. I would expect there to be enough real world offroad stiff vehicles. And why wouldn’t Tesla over engineer CT suspension components? Lastly, expect Cybertruck not to be a garage queen needing to return to Tesla after the weekend to fix stuff that breaks.

OP
OP
TI4Dan

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
Truck tires in general have one of the toughest job on a truck, to provide traction and all weather conditions, carry a load, delivery a comfortable ride, resist road hazards like potholes and debris on roadway and longevity in tire wear. We add to that list with tire appearance of tread pattern or tire size. No real solution to satisfy all but it's nice to have options from Tesla or your local tire shop. I have seen some have concerns with tire cost and yes when buying real truck tires in load range D,E and F, the tires can cost $275 to $350 dollars each. You can find cheaper but tire quality seems to be less and will show up in less tire life, I and some of my friends that have heavy duty trucks tried already. In fact make sure to put on the correct tire for any vehicle. I once borrowed my good friends truck and camper to travel to a funeral over 1000 miles away. On the return trip one tire start to lose air. I would stop and refill it but I knew something was wrong. I stopped at a tire shop to have it fixed, The shop removed tire to fix the leak but could not and removed the tire from the rim and found the tire was coming apart and could be seen from the inside of the tire. They also noted tire was the wrong rating for the truck and with a camper it just made the tire fail faster. I bought two new rear tires and side step a disaster. Since this event I check tires all the time and recently same friend bought a slightly used truck from a dealer with new tires on it and I found the wrong rated tire on it. The dealer was notified and they checked the paper work since they put on the tires and asked him to drive it straight to them to have it taken care of. In the end it will be up to the owner to make sure a good choice is made.

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I will be going with a high quality, all terrain tire most likely in the larger factory size ( if not already equipped )

I am wondering if the same specially formulated goodyear tire seen on the GMC hummer EV will be similar to what is offered on the CyberTruck.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
The more I think of this large, heavy CyberTruck... I know mine will wear 40s. Truly, you shouldn't put anything less - but please, do as you wish, as will I.

Think about it, in the craziest off road competitions, in just about everything off-road, and even much of the overlanding community... people time and time again opt for 40s ...or larger. In fact, I saw one guy buy a set of 37s, rims and tires, for his brand new Jeep Gladiator. He went wheeling; and as soon as he got home, bought brand new 40s, rims and tires... had them mounted and balanced, and put on his Jeep - and, he has loved them ever since! They are so much more capable. They "walk over" things that anything smaller tire, falls into. And you don't put small tires on a cement truck, a school bus, or a monster truck; why put smaller tires on this 6,000 plus lb massive truck? Now, don't get me wrong - 35s aren't small tires. But, they are small in the context of the CyberTruck.

Again, do as you wish. I will go with my flow. peace

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The more I think of this large, heavy CyberTruck... I know mine will wear 40s. Truly, you shouldn't put anything less - but please, do as you wish, as will I.

Think about it, in the craziest off road competitions, in just about everything off-road, and even much of the overlanding community... people time and time again opt for 40s ...or larger. In fact, I saw one guy buy a set of 37s, rims and tires, for his brand new Jeep Gladiator. He went wheeling; and as soon as he got home, bought brand new 40s, rims and tires... had them mounted and balanced, and put on his Jeep - and, he has loved them ever since! They are so much more capable. They "walk over" things that anything smaller tire, falls into. And you don't put small tires on a cement truck, a school bus, or a monster truck; why put smaller tires on this 6,000 plus lb massive truck? Now, don't get me wrong - 35s aren't small tires. But, they are small in the context of the CyberTruck.

Again, do as you wish. I will go with my flow. peace
I have 35's on my 8k 2500HD...but I tow a toy hauler, haul dirt bikes, etc...dont do any hard core 4x4/offroad so I find the size (looks/proportion & mileage/capability) a good balance for my use case, but to your point, everyone's needs are different...I'll be good with a 35 oem option, just diff rims than the proto as those look easy to ding up given they protrude beyond sidewall.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I have 35's on my 8k 2500HD...but I tow a toy hauler, haul dirt bikes, etc...dont do any hard core 4x4/offroad so I find the size (looks/proportion & mileage/capability) a good balance for my use case, but to your point, everyone's needs are different...I'll be good with a 35 oem option, just diff rims than the proto as those look easy to ding up given they protrude beyond sidewall.
That's cool, Jason. I actually have 35s on my Silverado Crew, and it's the HD Vortec Max. And, those tires are awesome on that truck. I just find the CyberTruck looking much bigger. I'll have to see it in person, and see how it flows. There's just so much I can do with pics and promises. haha peace

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Last night, rolling up to a stoplight with the windows down, a Jeep with big mud tires rolled up beside me.

The road hum from his tires was HORRIBLY loud! My wife commented on it immediately.

I thought about the rolling resistance, constant sound inside his cabin, wear and tear (can't be good with that much NOISE!).

That is something I don't want with the CT.
Some brands of M/T tires are worse than others, and as they age M/T tires will get louder

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I also hope the standard rim is no larger than 18" and really was wishing for a 17", but that does not seem likely.

Funny how a smaller rim size makes the tire cheaper, even if the tire has to be built stronger because of the taller sidewall (assuming the same overall height/circumference)
Sponsored