Cybertruck Tire Size Options What Do You Choose?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Taller sidewall means more circular cross-section, which means the tire itself doesn't have to be stronger. As you stray away from the circular cross-section, the tire needs more strength which means more expense.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Tire Size Options What Do You Choose? 1607028132777

I have these on the Ram right now with 20 inch rims. They are only 32s but its a nice look.

35s are damn expensive. These were only about $155 a piece in my area.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Cybertruck needs more tire width. Its stance is light.

Heads up Tesla, oversize CT wheel wells. I will spend on tire fitment over time. A Factory wheel that is 16”-17” x 9-9 ½ “ width will probably never need to be replaced. I will find a tire compound, width of tire face and tread design for my pot holes, washes, rock and sand. I don’t see a need, personally, beyond 35” for sidewall flex. But floatation…???

Ludicrous mode, boulevard wheel size>17” and leather are wasted specs, on my needs. Range, torque and ride comfort come first after price.
It's good that you know what's important to you because tire design is a compromise. That is, a tire has good points and bad ones, and improving the one costs the other.

For instance, you want a quiet ride (especially when electric) and good traction. You want a smooth ride and good handling. Long life, and control over snow and ice. But an increase in one goes with a decrease in the other.

So no tire will be perfect; all you can do is decide what's at the top of your list, and choose (insofar as there will be choices) accordingly.

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I have these on the Ram right now with 20 inch rims. They are only 32s but its a nice look.

I looked up the tire and it is about 10 to 20% cheaper if it was on a smaller rim, 20" is the 2nd largest rim they make that particular tire for, according to the Good Year website.

I like the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 for a good multi-purpose tire, but it cost more than the Good Year tire you have pictured, even on a 17" rim.

I am probably going to get a bit less than the rated 50,000 at current wear, but over 40,000... Which is pretty average for me.

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
I looked up the tire and it is about 10 to 20% cheaper if it was on a smaller rim, 20" is the 2nd largest rim they make that particular tire for, according to the Good Year website.

I like the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 for a good multi-purpose tire, but it cost more than the Good Year tire you have pictured, even on a 17" rim.

I am probably going to get a bit less than the rated 50,000 at current wear, but over 40,000... Which is pretty average for me.
Yea man I looked at the Geolanders too. Couldn't justify the cost difference but it is a nice tire.

Trust me. If there is an 18" or 17" wheel option for the CT I'm all over it.

My guess is that 20" rim will be the default/minimum wheel size. Won't be opposed to buying an aftermarket wheel/tire package but I can live with 20" rims if that's the least expensive option.

20" tires are much more affordable than they used to be.

The Rivian builds for wheels and tire packages that I've seen on pre-orders are insane. They want like $3500 for the top tier 22" AT package from what i've seen online. Craziness.

OP
OP
TI4Dan

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
1607028132777.png

1607028132777.png

I looked at Tire Rack.com just to see what was available in 35x12.5R18, I like the Wrangler A/T Adventure Kevlar but in this size its a Wrangler M/T R with Kevlar, listed at $390.00 each. I have on my truck( 2500 Dually) the Wrangler A/T Adventure which handle the weight well, steers accurately( no excessive tire squirm) not sure about tire life yet. My truck with camper is very heavy when on trips I check tire temperatures(thermo gun) and the back tires run cooler than the fronts.
My last set of tires, the rears last a lot longer than the fronts so now I rotate my tires to see what I can get for tire life, my last set only made it to 28K miles.

MO Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
01 Dodge, 19 gmc, 3 motor CT on order
Country flag
Maintaining correct tire pressure and correctly rotating your tires will maximize tread life. The O.E. tire will be I would think whatever Tesla can get the best deal on and which manufacturer would like to be involved in being O.E. on the Cybertruck.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tire tread will wear unevenly from all sorta of things, not just your load: different roads and traffic, number of curves and hills, these all affect how wear hits your tires.

I live in the mountains and that means more wear forward. If you carry heavy loads or trailers, that's more wear rear. Right turns (in a left-hand drive country like the US) are tighter than peft, so the left tire will wear more if you do lots of curvy roads. Your drive wheels will wear more than your non-drive wheels; this is true of AWD too, since one wheel will tend to slip first more often mathematically. That pothole or gravel patch on your street even when roughly patched will wear that side more often... Etc

Rotation is important.

-Crissa

OP
OP
TI4Dan

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
Tire tread will wear unevenly from all sorta of things, not just your load: different roads and traffic, number of curves and hills, these all affect how wear hits your tires.

I live in the mountains and that means more wear forward. If you carry heavy loads or trailers, that's more wear rear. Right turns (in a left-hand drive country like the US) are tighter than peft, so the left tire will wear more if you do lots of curvy roads. Your drive wheels will wear more than your non-drive wheels; this is true of AWD too, since one wheel will tend to slip first more often mathematically. That pothole or gravel patch on your street even when roughly patched will wear that side more often... Etc

Rotation is important.

-Crissa
I hate to rotate tires so when I bought my truck new I never rotated the tires and a set of Michelins went 72k miles which I felt was pretty good for towing a 5th wheel around. Here in Montana they like using chip seal to resurface roads, my driveway has #3 rock, and potholes you really have to watch the secondary roads and the backroads (not paved) I try and not punish my tires but I not staying home either. When I bought tires for my truck the tire dealer said tires were rated for 60K miles, I doubt it, I hope for 40K miles. Tires run me about $1700 bucks for stock size. I do my own tire rotation on my truck, first check tread depth of six tires then select the best position for even wear. I don't trust my tire, dealer to do this for me, I know which tires wear the most on a dually truck( non-commercial) plus before every trip I check tire pressure. When I lived in California I achieved pretty good tire mileage but here(Montana) tires have a harder life. Everything you mention and the higher speed limits and hard braking for wildlife. My wife got hit by a deer that jumped into the side of her car, I hit a deer very early in the morning before sunrise it was hiding behind the K rail on the low side of the hill, never did see it until it jumped in front of me, I didn't even have time to say Oh____ in my mind. That's why we don't own cars anymore just not enough protection. We try not to hit any wildlife and so we drive a little slower.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
That's why we don't own cars anymore just not enough protection. We try not to hit any wildlife and so we drive a little slower.
This is one of the reasons I am looking forward to FSD. I want more safety but I know that when I drive I tend to be a bit on the faster side. It will be nice to be able at some point to remove myself from the driving and no longer worry about the speed, wildlife, obstacles, other drivers, etc. I’m not expecting this to happen right away. Even if FSD is declared complete it’s going to take me a minute to trust it. But once th hat happens I’ll be much more relaxed.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FSD is not going to do better against animals, honestly. It's going to have trouble identifying the risks, as often they're completely not visible.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
FSD is not going to do better against animals, honestly. It's going to have trouble identifying the risks, as often they're completely not visible.

-Crissa
I think in my specific case it will do a bit better because I can let it drive at a slower pace and it’s reaction time will be faster than mine. But yes, overall wildlife tends to be difficult to see, unpredictable in action, and sometimes will just come out of nowhere for no predictable reason.

For those unavoidable wildlife situations, I trust that the CT itself will be much safer than what I’m driving now. Short of hitting a bison or moose, the CT might just come out unscathed.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I think FSD will do better with animals than you may believe.

This deer was pretty well hidden and it was nighttime. That’s pretty impressive.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I think FSD will do better with animals than you may believe.

This deer was pretty well hidden and it was nighttime. That’s pretty impressive.
I agree that FSD will be better than people expect. But deer are also known to do things like staying completely out of sight till they come crashing through a passenger side window head first. My grandmother almost died from this exact case. FSD will be better than people. But even then it will not be entirely accident proof.
Sponsored