Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 2 motor
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
CT depreciation until 2026: $0.00.
@250K/year production, it will take 4 years to satisfy over 1 million reservation holders. Thus 'Johnny Come Lately'' will either buy used OR wait until 2026. He'll pay to play.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That’s if it is really a million and they really produce 250K per year. It’s really anyone’s guess, but until the preorders are filled, and probably even for some time beyond that, you are probably right.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
You're selling yours?

Tesla Cybertruck Depreciation will_poulter

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'm trading my 2023 2 motor for a 2025 3 motor. And expect $0.00 depreciation. Dates are based on Reservation Tracker.
I'm always talking up about how I think the Cybertruck will be an appreciating vehicle due to it's FSD system going up in price pretty commonly now. There is even people who have found a hint at a $14000 price tag in the souce code. If you have FSD, especially if you got it at 7000-8000 before it went up, It is definitely possible that you might be able to sell it for what you bought it for due to the increased value of the FSD, then you only lose the taxable income. I think it could even be possible to turn a small profit depending on the FSD price

If you don't have the FSD system, it might even still be possible based on the demand for the dual motor Cybertruck. I've seen dealerships that are basically selling 2020 Model 3 and Model Y Teslas for literally the same price that is listed on the Tesla website with the same features.

Just make sure if you want FSD that you already have a preorder in. I've always argued that Tesla, while they overexaggerate how fast level is coming, they are making incredible progress and I think level 3 highway driving could be a reality this year. If they reach level 3, I suspect a big increase to FSD price, especially if they can get level 3 in cities as well in the next couple years.

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
While I agree with the general assumption that until reservations are satisfied, Cybertrucks could become an appreciating asset. However I doubt the 250k/yr production figure in part because I have not seen that stated anywhere other than in this thread. Further if the supply chain issues continue for at least another 2 years as some have forecasted, I doubt CT production will exceed 50k/yr before 2025.

As I was somewhat late reserving my CT, I would be delighted to be wrong. ;)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The problem with FSD is that I think the public is starting to realize that it is largely smoke and mirrors. The markets seem to have caught on already. I think it is one of the things depressing the stock price.

DallasCyberTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TOYOTA TUNDRA
Country flag
CT depreciation until 2026: $0.00.
@250K/year production, it will take 4 years to satisfy over 1 million reservation holders. Thus 'Johnny Come Lately'' will either buy used OR wait until 2016. He'll pay to play.
Wait until 2016? That would make Johnny travel to the past?

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
While I agree with the general assumption that until reservations are satisfied, Cybertrucks could become an appreciating asset. However I doubt the 250k/yr production figure in part because I have not seen that stated anywhere other than in this thread. Further if the supply chain issues continue for at least another 2 years as some have forecasted, I doubt CT production will exceed 50k/yr before 2025.

As I was somewhat late reserving my CT, I would be delighted to be wrong. ;)
I couldn't find the exact quote from Elon at Battery day (didn't try too hard) but here is an article talking about it. https://insideevs.com/news/445897/tesla-may-produce-250000-cybertrucks-annually/

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I couldn't find the exact quote from Elon at Battery day (didn't try too hard) but here is an article talking about it. https://insideevs.com/news/445897/tesla-may-produce-250000-cybertrucks-annually/
Yeah I can't see Tesla only producing 50k or anywhere near that little per year.

I think some people assume the Cybertruck will take a long time to build since it's stainless steel and a big truck. However the Cybertruck having an exoskeleton and having a battery pack act as the floor, they are saving time on many steps of a traditional production line. You can also look at the patents from May 27th showing that a lot of the structural support comes from the doors itself which it's not like the production line slows down while they build the doors. Everything gets made in the factory or delivered from a third party supplier (like seats and smaller components) and then come together at the end.

The largest production plants in North America have the capacity to produce hundreds of thousands of vehicles per year. The largest of them can do more than 300,000 per year. While Tesla won't be producing only Cybertrucks from this factory, this will be the largest single production plant of vehicles in the world and the biggest limiting factor of how many vehicles they can produce per year will depend on supply of the materials and parts they need.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
The problem with FSD is that I think the public is starting to realize that it is largely smoke and mirrors. The markets seem to have caught on already. I think it is one of the things depressing the stock price.
I waver between believing the hype and then being unsure... My gut feel is we'll have something akin to level 3 by the end of next year. Of course, that's based on nothing other than pulling it out of my arse. LOL

Sponsored