Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
2023 MX, 2017 MS, 2018 M3, Slvdo 2500HD,CT Tri res
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
Here's a question for the wheels, (since that's how it started):

Let's say a dual is considered a 1/2 ton, and a tri is a 3/4 ton, wouldn't the tri require (8) lugs??
Sponsored

KScheidt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KirkScheidt.com
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
Risk Analyst
Country flag
šŸ¤£they may be thinking ā€œwhy does a parent of children need a sub-3 second 0-60?ā€

As a parent if 3 under 6, my Lightningā€™s dual-like sub-4 second results in enough bad parenting decisions
Hey us parents still like to live on the edge occasionally too! šŸ˜

Also comes in handy when itā€™s 5:10 and you gotta get to soccer practice by 5:00 šŸ¤Ŗ

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Hey us parents still like to live on the edge occasionally too! šŸ˜

Also comes in handy when itā€™s 5:10 and you gotta get to soccer practice by 5:00 šŸ¤Ŗ
In all seriousness: do you drive anything with a sub-4 60?

maybe you already do, and now youā€™re chasing the dragon?

KScheidt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KirkScheidt.com
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
Risk Analyst
Country flag

I used to race various dirt and road car classes including dwarf cars (probably the fastest accelerating of those disciplines). Never owned a street car with that kind of speed (closest was a modified Lotus Elise) but Iā€™ve definitely contemplated getting an S-Plaid for my day to day and keeping the Subaru for the mountains. Iā€™d just prefer to have an all-in-one solution if I can.

Additionally, if Iā€™m already compromising on range the least I can do is be uncompromising elsewhere. I worry if I settle for the dual I might regret not getting the tri whereas I cannot imagine a scenario where the inverse is true.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I used to race various dirt and road car classes including dwarf cars (probably the fastest accelerating of those disciplines). Never owned a street car with that kind of speed (closest was a modified Lotus Elise) but Iā€™ve definitely contemplated getting an S-Plaid for my day to day and keeping the Subaru for the mountains. Iā€™d just prefer to have an all-in-one solution if I can.

Additionally, if Iā€™m already compromising on range the least I can do is be uncompromising elsewhere. I worry if I settle for the dual I might regret not getting the tri whereas I cannot imagine a scenario where the inverse is true.
like-for-like, I get the ā€œf itā€

that said, if you get out to a Sophieā€™s choice of dual with ā€˜mereā€™ sub-4 second 0-60 in a few months, vs a tri in a year+, consider this into your calculus:

the dual CT is the size and centrifugal mass of an ice cream truck, with standard hydraulic brakes, and the 0-60 of a BMW M3 (but delivered with linear power)

it is *plenty* stupid even in itā€™s neutered state

that said, Iā€™m pegging the tri 0-60 at ~2.4 sec (far exceeding the 2019 aspiration of 2.9), and the only thing better than plenty stupid is extra stupid

but that wait time to deliveryā€¦

KScheidt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KirkScheidt.com
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
Risk Analyst
Country flag
like-for-like, I get the ā€œf itā€

that said, if you get out to a Sophieā€™s choice of dual with ā€˜mereā€™ sub-4 second 0-60 in a few months, vs a tri in a year+, consider this into your calculus:

the dual CT is the size and centrifugal mass of an ice cream truck, with standard hydraulic brakes, and the 0-60 of a BMW M3 (but delivered with linear power)

it is *plenty* stupid even in itā€™s neutered state

that said, Iā€™m pegging the tri 0-60 at ~2.4 sec (far exceeding the 2019 aspiration of 2.9), and the only thing better than plenty stupid is extra stupid

but that wait time to deliveryā€¦
All banter aside, with a sub-4 second time Iā€™m most likely going for maximum range (wherever that lies) unless there are other significant feature gaps between the two variants. If pricing exceeds that of a performance R1T Max (410Mi; $94K) then thatā€™s back on the table.

My only decision point will hinge around whether Tesla concurrently announces that a longer range (400+) version is coming before EOY 2025. At that point I will have to decide whether to stick it out or settle for whatā€™s available sooner.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Tesla concurrently announces that a longer range (400+) version is coming before EOY 2025.
so announcing EOY 2025, means youā€™re prepared to wait the 4 years from now it will take to get there?

honestly, time frames are a Tesla metric that I couldnā€™t bet too much on

KScheidt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KirkScheidt.com
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
Risk Analyst
Country flag
so announcing EOY 2025, means youā€™re prepared to wait the 4 years from now it will take to get there?

honestly, time frames are a Tesla metric that I couldnā€™t bet too much on
Really comes down to value and timing I guess. If I feel like what Iā€™m getting for my money today (Dual/320+-) is a good value for what it is then no, I probably wonā€™t hold out any longer. Alternatively if what gets released starts near $100K and they concurrently note that a LR version will be available early 2025 then I may be inclined to keep waiting (or go R1T Max).

Last edited:

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I assume most people here realize that when you get into the bigger battery pack options, itā€™s not a one for one trade-off option on speed for rangeā€¦ Itā€™s not like you can turn a 300 mile 2.9dec 0-60 vehicle into a 500 mile 5.00sec 0-60 with the same battery pack. Would be wonderful if that was the case.

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
A lot of people have said Tri motor uses plaid motors. What about some next gen hairpin motors with a max rating of 425Hp/motor? Maybe the Dual motor we saw with a H weight rating was the "Performance" that fulfils the 3500 payload rating with the same 115kWh (usable pack) as the standard "Dual Motor" w/ lower payload. If production rate, costs & efficiency are top priority, hairpin seem to be the better choice and the future.

Maybe available at launch, Tesla derates the 115kWh's pack power for the "Dual Motor" and provides the first two variants (limiting factor: 4680 run rate, next gen motor availability and general cybertruck assembly rate):
  • "Dual Motor" 2motor 600hp, 330mi, 0-60mph 4.5s, ~2600 payload, ~13k towing (G-Rated) $64,990 (~20% lower truck pmt and home fuel costs to a comparable F150 Crew Cab Hybrid) ~$1,255/mo vs $1,577/mo
  • "Performance" 2motor 850hp, 315mi, 0-60mph 3.5s, ~3500 payload, ~14k towing (H-rated) $69,420 (~33% lower truck pmt and home fuel costs to a comparable F150 Raptor 3.5 V6) ~$1,347/mo vs $2,021/mo
Then some unknown time later, maybe 2025 (limiting factor: 4680 run rate & next gen motor availability while ramping next-gen vehicle):
  • "Next Gen Tri-motor" 3motor w/153kWh 1200hp, 420mi, 0-60mph 2.9s, ~3000lb payload, ~15k towing (H-rated) could be $79,990 but not announced 11/30 (~35% lower truck pmt and supercharging fuel costs to a comparable F150 Raptor R V8) ~$1,687/mo vs $2,610/mo
Prices might seem high but with the $7500 rebate and fuel costs, these would be significantly cheaper monthly payments + fueling costs compared to their ICE truck competitor. I would think of these prices as launch minimums. They are worth about $71k, $89k and 118k to be cost neutral with ICE @ 10% interest 0% down 60mo 15k miles/yr. Spec would meet or exceed ICE other than range. Maybe we see 500 mile when we get to Mars.

What do you buy or wait for?

Last edited:

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I havenā€™t followed Tesla cars close enough to know if thereā€™s president for this sort of thing in Tesla. but maybe this is a CT-specific quirk, based on streamlining production and/or a more utilitarian approach to ā€˜optionsā€™ for this more utilitarian vehicle?
There is precedent. The Model 3 Performance originally launched with a white interior. It was exclusive to the performance model at first.

EDIT: I based this off of memory, but went and found a link from 2018 about it: LINK

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
A lot of people have said Tri motor uses plaid motors.
at least as of the Semi launch, Tesla said the Semi and CT will utilize essentially a plaid motor

obviousky things change, but

Maybe available at launch, Tesla derates the 115kWh's pack power for the "Dual Motor" and provides the first two variants (limiting factor: 4680 run rate, next gen motor availability and general cybertruck assembly rate):
  • "Dual Motor" 2motor 600hp, 330mi, 0-60mph 4.5s, ~2600 payload, ~13k towing (G-Rated) $64,990 (~20% lower truck pmt and home fuel costs to a comparable F150 Crew Cab Hybrid) ~$1,255/mo vs $1,577/mo
  • "Performance" 2motor 850hp, 315mi, 0-60mph 3.5s, ~3500 payload, ~14k towing (H-rated) $69,420 (~33% lower truck pmt and home fuel costs to a comparable F150 Raptor 3.5 V6) ~$1,347/mo vs $2,021/mo
lots of good logic here on the whole

though Iā€™d guess your dual 0-60 is high by ~0.6 seconds (based only on assumption the CT wonā€™t be slower than Lightning LR), and your tri 0-60 is high by as much 1 second (based not on a guess)

and, I take no position on price - that whole topic disorients me, except to say Iā€™m interested to see someone finally put together that a ā€˜performanceā€™ CT (that shares the same pack) may not be the sort of ~$20K delta people have been conditioned to expect (based on the unveil notion of a ā€˜triā€™ including LR pack)

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag

Def chasing the dragon....M3P at 3.1, Superduke at 2.6, Tuono at 3, Challenger at 3.3, MB AMG < 4...only my truck is > 4 (slow af at 7, but tows nice)....I'm not used to losing if the person next to me desires a go...so must have Tri performance so all vehicles are at < 3, lol....
Sponsored