First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2022/06/22/tesla-cybertruck-design-locked-new-timeline/

After several revisions, Elon Musk says that the final Tesla Cybertruck design is “finally locked,” and he updated the timeline to production for mid-2023.

When Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck back in 2019, Tesla said that the electric pickup truck would make it to market by the end of 2021. As the deadline was approaching, the automaker confirmed that production slipped to 2022.

CEO Elon Musk later said that Tesla was targeting a start of production for the electric pickup truck in “late 2022” at Gigafactory Texas. With the focus clearly on bringing the Model Y to production at the factory, and that being delayed as well, it appeared likely that the Cybertruck production timeline could also slip.

In March 2022, it was confirmed that Tesla aims to complete Cybertruck development this year for production in 2023.

A significant part of the delay has been attributed to Tesla updating the design of the Cybertruck on several occasions and until now, it was known if the automaker had finally settled on the final design.

During a new interview with the Tesla Owners Club of Silicon Valley, Musk confirmed that the Cybertruck design is now “locked”:

We need to get on that [getting the Cybertruck to production]. At least, the design is finally locked. We got too carried away [with design updates].

Musk has previously disclosed that Tesla added rear-wheel-steering to the Cybertruck and made several slight design changes.

However, the CEO added that regardless of the design revisions, Tesla wouldn’t have been able to bring the electric pickup truck to volume production either way because of the chip shortage. During the interview, Musk updated the production timeline for the Cybertruck to now “mid-2023.”

Earlier this year, new Cybertruck prototypes were spotted being tested by Tesla as well as being used for promotion at events.

Entire Interview Video:

Sponsored

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
I really hope we can get a clear view of the "final" design soon (nothing, design-wise is ever final with Tesla, which is a good thing IMHO).
Maybe AI day?

kfede1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvettes, F15...
Occupation
Assassin
Country flag
I have two tri-motor full self driving on order. I really don't expect to ever get them. The one thing we know about Elon is that he does not make his commitments and gets distracted easily. He is just a frontman for the brands, but he has hired smart people. In general, I would also hope that if the Cybertrucks do get built, they do not come out with the fit and finish problems his current vehicles have.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I was assuming around March back when everyone was hopeful that the IDRA machine might get delivered by September (press+6mos seems like a reasonable guidepost). Heard today that's more likely to be October or so. Therefore mid-23 seems a reasonable estimate.

I wonder when we'll see alpha/beta vehicles (as opposed to the current prototypes that I consider pre-alpha). Should be an exciting 12 months!

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
In general, I would also hope that if the Cybertrucks do get built, they do not come out with the fit and finish problems his current vehicles have.
We took delivery of a Model Y in December. Fit & finish are no worse than the Toyota it replaced. I think this complaint is overstated today (definitely a bigger problem in the past).

Xtampa

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Bus operator
Country flag
I have two tri-motor full self driving on order. I really don't expect to ever get them. The one thing we know about Elon is that he does not make his commitments and gets distracted easily. He is just a frontman for the brands, but he has hired smart people. In general, I would also hope that if the Cybertrucks do get built, they do not come out with the fit and finish problems his current vehicles have.
I just took delivery of a model y and it’s perfect, not a single flaw anywhere so I don’t subscribe to this poor quality bs passing around. The cyber truck will have castings front and rear and structural pack so everything will fit.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
For those of you that insisted that the Cybertruck would come out by the end of 2022, or January 2023, the earliest projection now, per Elon, will be "mid-2023".

Of course, there is always a chance it could slide into the fall of 2023, depending on Tesla timelines.

If Tesla can build CTs that go into a few buyers hands by fall of 2023, that is good news. It will finally be a reality.

Pre-order holder #300,000

JayInAZ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Electrical engineer
Country flag
I really hope we can see the interior layout or view selectable options. I need mine to be capable of seating 6 people, otherwise it won't fit my needs.

Edit: Looked around a bit to see interior photos and saw that it comes with a lifting center console.

Last edited:

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
"mid-2023" sadly that's in "elon time" which means mid 2025 in real life.
Anyone that runs around saying the Cybertruck will be here by July 2023, just is ignoring "Elon time".

Also, the waiting list is so long, and the ramp might slow-ish, 2025 is probably when a lot of us will get ours.

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Did they ask about potential price changes? Hopefully Elon keeps his word about price (not likely ha!)
Glad that he's realized that following other manufacturers' lead can be a good thing (quad motors, rear wheel steering) just as other manufacturers have followed Tesla.
Sponsored