Adrenalinwill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Cybertruck, Founders Roadster 2
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Country flag
I figured I'd chime in here. I picked up my truck on 5/1, brought it home the same day, and applied the Everbrite Protectaclear. I followed the instructions 100%. My truck was not well cleaned from the service center, but I wasn't upset, I planned on fully cleaning before putting on the Everbrite. I had small deposits of rust spots, on the flatter spots of the truck like the hood, the little ledge at the upper part of the doors near the windows, and some other small spots.

Before anything, I tried the BKF just to see if it would remove the rust spots. Even with significant scrubbing they would not come off. I then washed the truck, then used the rust remover, and I was kind of shocked that they just disappeared with no scrubbing, so I did all the areas that needed it. Then, I washed the truck again with the prep wash.

Then, to get rid of the fingerprints and other dirt, I went panel by panel and did the BKF and then windex, then the alcohol. When I applied the Protectaclear, it took some getting used to. I went thinner than I should have, but it ensured I didn't get any dripping. I did the whole truck, the process took about 4 hours, but if I had to do it again I could probably do it in half the time. It was a pain for sure, but I wanted the raw stainless without the headache.

So back to the thin coat...I got a good amount of "rainbowing" in spots. I had planned, and still do plan, to go back and apply another very thin coat where the rainbowing is, which is supposed to self-anneal, and will end up clear. This requires a wash, then just application, so I'm hoping it will only take me an hour or so. It has been raining almost every day since my first application so I'm waiting for a good day.

I'm sorry to hear about the OP's experience. From my experience (which is zero in the car detailing world, but I try to take my time and be careful), it looks like it was a thicker coat than I used, which definitely would cause a lot of drips. I had that in one small spot (it got dark outside and the garage lights were not perfect), but the rest is fairly even and thin. I get no fingerprints, and aside from some of the iridecent streaks, I'm just happy to not have fingerprints, and the bugs wipe off very easily from the hood.

For $250 I can probably coat the truck 2 more times (3 total), and I don't mind the time it took for the initial application. I'm sure removing and re-applying will be a pain, but I'm hoping I can just keep applying more as it wears off since it self-anneals...I'm sure I'll find out!

Again, just giving my personal experience here, for the price compared to a wrap, and the fact you get the raw stainless look, I would say I'm satisfied. And again, sorry to hear about the negative experience with a fellow CT owner!

-Rick
Thank you for sharing Rick! So glad to hear others that did not have to go through the pain and anguish with this product. I had o planned on a single coat as Iā€™m used to ceramic coatings. From the instruction which I followed religiously, rainbowā€™ing was a big no no. Trying to fix the thin areas that had rainbowā€™d resulted in the thick look and it did not self level even after months. After a trip to Vegas and leaving the bugs on for a week after resulted in holes in the coating on the trunk. At that point, I was done.
Glad to hear of your positive experience. Thank you.
Sponsored

Cyber_95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Awesome! If you donā€™t mind posting the results and how you feel about each of the process, that would be helpful to many. Iā€™ve ordered two bottles of the DIY ceramic coating along with all the appropriate prep sprays. Fingers crossed.
If you don't mind me asking, how much was all of the recommended supplies for the DIY Detail ceramic? DIY doesn't have a kit available, but 2 bottles of the ceramic by itself is nearly $200 vs. $250 for the Protectaclear kit.

I'm yrying to evaluate which is the better value choice: Protectaclear or DIY Ceramic?

OP
OP
Adrenalinwill

Adrenalinwill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Country flag
If you don't mind me asking, how much was all of the recommended supplies for the DIY Detail ceramic? DIY doesn't have a kit available, but 2 bottles of the ceramic by itself is nearly $200 vs. $250 for the Protectaclear kit.

I'm yrying to evaluate which is the better value choice: Protectaclear or DIY Ceramic?
I got a discount with free shipping from The Clean Garage and free shipping no tax for the DIY panel prep from Detailed Image. Applicator was $3.95, panel prep $19, two bottles of DIY ceramic coat $163. Barkeepers friend, the paste not spray was $5 and microfiber towels from Costco was like $15 for 36. All in was about $200.

the wash Protectaclear provided was useless. I used ONR to wash and the paste form of BKF and windex to clean before acetone to prep.

Protectaclear was $330 shipping and tax included when I purchased n March 5th. Plus the Acetone, additional nitrile gloves, two solvent pans, and masking tape was about $30. All in $360.

i would have paid $500 if the product worked and was easy to apply. The additional cost to strip Protecta Clear is probably close to $1K because of the labor involved and use of solvents. I tried and ended up nauseous and almost threw up. But got the hood done. šŸ¤®

Iā€™ve done ceramic coating before and itā€™s 10X easier to apply. I plan on applying the ceramic coat on the panel I managed to strip this weekend. Will not make the mistake of doing the whole truck again before confirming it works. šŸ¤£

Jsul23851

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Two x7s
Country flag
I am looking at having Everbrite applied by a local PPF company for around $1,000. 2 hours for prep and 5-7 hours for application.

Iā€™m trying to determine if I need to call an audible on this .

How many people have had a successful experience with this product ?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
$1k seems very reasonable for the cleaning and application. 2-coats?

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
I am looking at having Everbrite applied by a local PPF company for around $1,000. 2 hours for prep and 5-7 hours for application.

Iā€™m trying to determine if I need to call an audible on this .

How many people have had a successful experience with this product ?
If you give it to a detailer please send them this video link and be sure they watch it! Many detailers are having issues because they are applying like a ceramic coating and the ProtectaClear process is very different than ceramic coatings.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Everbrite should work with detail shops around the country and have certified applicators go through a thorough training class in order to apply their product and offer a guarantee.

The distribution/installer business model would look very similar to Expel PPF.

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Everbrite should work with detail shops around the country and have certified applicators go through a thorough training class in order to apply their product and offer a guarantee.

The distribution/installer business model would look very similar to Expel PPF.
Interesting you say that, we already have this established model with metal restoration professionals. I had 19 contractors out last week for training. We would need a truck to do for each training, which would be a challenge.

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD Foundation Series 2022 Model X
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
Interesting you say that, we already have this established model with metal restoration professionals. I had 19 contractors out last week for training. We would need a truck to do for each training, which would be a challenge.
I suppose Everbrite could buy one truck and just strip it back to bare metal in between trainings

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD Foundation Series 2022 Model X
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
I donā€™t have the skill set required to apply this successfully. Iā€™d rather outsource it to a pro
Same here, I've got professionals coming to do mine on Tuesday

OP
OP
Adrenalinwill

Adrenalinwill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Country flag
If you give it to a detailer please send them this video link and be sure they watch it! Many detailers are having issues because they are applying like a ceramic coating and the ProtectaClear process is very different than ceramic coatings.
why would I spend another minute on this product? Please stop.

OP
OP
Adrenalinwill

Adrenalinwill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Country flag
$1k seems very reasonable for the cleaning and application. 2-coats?
According to Protecta Coat, I poured on the coating and smeared it around with a broom šŸ¤£

Actually about 1.5 coat, first messed up coat, another half coat to try and fix it. Failed šŸ˜­

What a mess.
Sponsored