CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I never lock the DeLorean, because I’d rather no one break in to discover there’s nothing of value.

I don’t worry about it being stolen, since it’s high-visibility, but do worry about vandals trying to snatch a “souvenir”.
My thoughts exactly.

If I lived in a terrible neighborhood where I can't be sure if my wheels are going to be there when I get back, I would be worried. I would also likely use the money for my Cybertruck to move to a better area before getting the truck.

But am I worried about someone sneakily stealing actual parts off my truck in plain view in likely a very public parking lot?...not really.

The other side of this, whether it's easy or not, if someone wants to steal, things like bolts just slow someone down. In bad areas, there were people that would slide under a car and cut off a catalytic converter in the middle of the day. I don't see fender flare being a crime of opportunity, it would likely be by a thief ready to steal and a simple set of wrenches isn't that expensive.

But selling these won't be as easy as catalytic converters for people. Who are the people buying fender flare to other than owners who had their fender flare stolen. Even the cameras, I can't imagine they are worth all that much to anyone besides Tesla owners who will likely use comprehensive insurance to replace the stolen parts. Cameras can be expensive but I don't see much resell potential for a specific shaped camera if someone is looking to buy a camera, especially when anyone can go on amazon and get a cheap security camera or a cheap webcam for like $20-$50.
Sponsored

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
My thoughts exactly.

If I lived in a terrible neighborhood where I can't be sure if my wheels are going to be there when I get back, I would be worried. I would also likely use the money for my Cybertruck to move to a better area before getting the truck.

But am I worried about someone sneakily stealing actual parts off my truck in plain view in likely a very public parking lot?...not really.

The other side of this, whether it's easy or not, if someone wants to steal, things like bolts just slow someone down. In bad areas, there were people that would slide under a car and cut off a catalytic converter in the middle of the day. I don't see fender flare being a crime of opportunity, it would likely be by a thief ready to steal and a simple set of wrenches isn't that expensive.

But selling these won't be as easy as catalytic converters for people. Who are the people buying fender flare to other than owners who had their fender flare stolen. Even the cameras, I can't imagine they are worth all that much to anyone besides Tesla owners who will likely use comprehensive insurance to replace the stolen parts. Cameras can be expensive but I don't see much resell potential for a specific shaped camera if someone is looking to buy a camera, especially when anyone can go on amazon and get a cheap security camera or a cheap webcam for like $20-$50.
I wonder how much a replacement cam is...

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Im having a hard time imagining aftermaker fender flares that allow the camera to be in the exact same spot. (Likely required for FSD right?)
ooooooo, good point! I know FSD has to calibrate for camera location variation, but I don't think the cameras need be in the EXACT same place. Speculation: As long is it's covering the same angle and is recalibrated, it should be ok? I don't think they rerun the entire FSD model for every car due to varying heights and widths of the vehicle. That seems crazy!

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I wonder how much a replacement cam is...
Your comprehensive insurance deductible. The cost of buying them from people stealing them is only high if we are willing to pay...which I hope no one is willing to buy because they could offer it to me for 50% off but they are a thief, I don't respect them, and who knows if they damaged it while taking it off? I don't think they are offering warranty or refunds.

OP
OP
Old Spice

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
They wrapped it in Satin Black wrap

Tesla Cybertruck Fender Flares remove easily from Cybertruck (video) & satin black wrap installed satin black wrap cybertruck

wshunter

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If they remove that easily, will the remain on the truck?
Um and how many have one of the trucks to worry about that. Just give me a damn truck and I’ll worry about the minutia.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
😂

My copy paste into the browser wasn't working earlier, so I went ahead and saved so I could upload this:

Screenshot 2023-12-14 175810.jpg

oops
Um, there is no puddle of water in your capture. Those are droplets of water due to surface tension. It's not intended to be a dry area, there are no water seals around the perimeter and plastic doesn't rust.

It's supposed to perform exactly how you see in the video.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
ooooooo, good point! I know FSD has to calibrate for camera location variation, but I don't think the cameras need be in the EXACT same place. Speculation: As long is it's covering the same angle and is recalibrated, it should be ok? I don't think they rerun the entire FSD model for every car due to varying heights and widths of the vehicle. That seems crazy!
I doubt the camera is too sensitive to orientation and position. Cameras would be either constantly or periodically updating this on the computer side. This would be done on each vehicle, to the point the code might not vary much between different models and cameras.

This is the same way it works using drone photography for 3D othomosiac maps, where the camera position and orientation points are unknown and need to calculated in software first, and then the image distances and volumes are calculated by a point cloud andqthen overlaid with the image for recognition.

CactusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, and Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Country flag

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
I never lock the DeLorean, because I’d rather no one break in to discover there’s nothing of value.

I don’t worry about it being stolen, since it’s high-visibility, but do worry about vandals trying to snatch a “souvenir”.
I used to make this mistake daily. Till one christmas morning i discovered my ignition torn to shreds and broken knives/lighters everywhere... They were not interested in anything of value, rather just a joy ride! Couldn't even hot-wire my Camry, but i still paid over a grand to fix the ignition :(

Glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Cyber T, S , Infinty, Buick, sligshot, Goldwi
Occupation
Diamond coated surgical burrs
Country flag
Easy for someone to steal the cameras that are in the fenders.
At least we should see who is stealing them. :)

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
My thoughts exactly. I’ve thought the same thing about the wheel covers. Way too easy to remove.
Both good points. Has Tesla forgotten how shitty people are? There are cameras on there to catch them, but pretty soon thieves will catch on and wear masks. And the authorities will do nothing because it’s not a major crime. Third parties better come to the rescue with some lockable options.
Sponsored