ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Roll down rear glass would be awesome and easy enough to do.

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Won't that be wonderful if the back seats are removable for the dogs? I am sure one of us will try.
I will! I did this on my old Land Rover discovery. Kind of annoying to store seats though, just saying.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I see a lot of comments from people who think 4x8 sheet goods won't fit in a 6 1/2' bed. It makes me think they've never owned a truck with a 6 1/2' bed. In fact, 8' pickup beds are in the minority and have been for many years. The most common bed size is a mid-sized bed of 6' or 6 1/2' and sheet goods are far easier to load in a mid-sized bed. That's because they need to be loaded all the way forward in case hard braking is required. It's a heck of a lot easier to load/unload 8' sheet goods when they end at the top edge of the dropped tailgate.

Even specialty sheet goods that are 10 feet long are not a problem in a mid-sized bed. Yes, you legally need to put a flag on longer products that extend past the end of the tailgate but that is a lot easier than loading all the way forward in an 8' bed.

No, you won't have to remove the rear seats to haul plywood, that's just silly.
Almost made a similar post. I've hauled a lot of drywall, plywood, and 4x8 sheet insulation in my Tundra and it is indeed the perfect size for this. Lumber only becomes a problem to haul once it's longer than 12'.

Only way I can see having 8 foot as an advantage is for rainy days.

I see the mid-gate as interesting for camping, but even there I kind of wonder if there aren't better solutions.

As I mentioned above, the bed needs to be able to handle loose loads, sand, gravel, horse shit, etc. As soon as you drop the front of the bed into the cabin, that stuff is going to start ruining whatever seal you have. Even just camping introduces a lot of dirt into seals.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Yup, most of my lumber are 16-foot long... so the stopped top glass for me looks perfect. Especially some posts months to years ago pointed out possible roof mounting, just like current models. I was like, Sold!!!

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Yup, most of my lumber are 16-foot long... so the stopped top glass for me looks perfect. Especially some posts months to years ago pointed out possible roof mounting, just like current models. I was like, Sold!!!
The geometry of the CT is actually very conducive to roof rack transport up to about 12'. (16' with flags)

Low in the back for easier loading, the angle helps restrain the load against braking. The rear tower could be as short as the front, which would mean it could be strong and light. I think there will be spots for 3 towers.

I am eager to see the roof rack interface, I bet it will be very strong. I don't doubt you could carry 1000 lbs on the roof rack. With the center of gravity being relatively low this additional weight would not be a huge problem.

With the sail storage, you might be able to store your roof rack on board and only install it when you need to carry something. Therefore saving the daily wind resistance.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Most of your lumber is 16' long? OK, you are definitely in the 1%! Not in wealth but in the length of your lumber!

You could sit at Home Depot all day long and watch people load lumber in the back of their pickup and realize no one, less than one percent, buys lumber 16" long and puts it in their pickup. Yes, it does happen but less than one time for every 99 trucks that load 8 or 10 foot products. Customers buying 16 foot lumber almost always have a trailer or a truck a lot larger than your typical pickup.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Most of your lumber is 16' long? OK, you are definitely in the 1%! Not in wealth but in the length of your lumber!

You could sit at Home Depot all day long and watch people load lumber in the back of their pickup and realize no one, less than one percent, buys lumber 16" long and puts it in their pickup. Yes, it does happen but less than one time for every 99 trucks that load 8 or 10 foot products. Customers buying 16 foot lumber almost always have a trailer or a truck a lot larger than your typical pickup.
We use almost exclusively 16’ lumber but like you said it does not go into the bed of any truck. It goes on a trailer or is delivered by the supplier. I agree, almost nobody will be hauling 16’ lumber in any truck.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Currently, longer lumber on the roof of my suburban and 12 or shorter inside. I help make many gazebos and patios.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I see a lot of comments from people who think 4x8 sheet goods won't fit in a 6 1/2' bed. It makes me think they've never owned a truck with a 6 1/2' bed. In fact, 8' pickup beds are in the minority and have been for many years. The most common bed size is a mid-sized bed of 6' or 6 1/2' and sheet goods are far easier to load in a mid-sized bed. That's because they need to be loaded all the way forward in case hard braking is required. It's a heck of a lot easier to load/unload 8' sheet goods when they end at the top edge of the dropped tailgate.

Even specialty sheet goods that are 10 feet long are not a problem in a mid-sized bed. Yes, you legally need to put a flag on longer products that extend past the end of the tailgate but that is a lot easier than loading all the way forward in an 8' bed.

No, you won't have to remove the rear seats to haul plywood, that's just silly.
And Elon said they could put a flip stop in the tail gate.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And Elon said they could put a flip stop in the tail gate.
I can't say I've ever wanted such a thing and I've hauled a lot of 4x8 sheets. If you have more than a couple sheets, you are going to need to tie it down regardless. So long as they keep the two tie-down points near the bed which were in the prototype it'll be just fine. A single ratchet straps is way more useful than a flip stop which would only keep 3-4 sheets secured.