Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm more than happy to see other people with front plates. Just hate them on *my car*. I know it's hypocritical and if I get a ticket for it I'm not complaining.

It just pisses me off that people use our legal obligation against us.
Sponsored

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
Never a fan of front plates. Had like 3 of our vehicles with front plates. Ever since we left Cali, we didn't need the front plate, but those holes on the front bumpers look hideous. Why can't these 31 states ban front plates? IMO it just destroys the vehicle's beauty, lines, and looks with an ugly and popping state ID.

But then having 1 plate has its drawbacks: Lazy patrol people who don't wanna get out of their vehicles. Huge thing on college campuses if you love parking tail in (not nose in).

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
Never a fan of front plates. Had like 3 of our vehicles with front plates. Ever since we left Cali, we didn't need the front plate, but those holes on the front bumpers look hideous. Why can't these 31 states ban front plates? IMO it just destroys the vehicle's beauty, lines, and looks with an ugly and popping state ID.

But then having 1 plate has its drawbacks: Lazy patrol people who don't wanna get out of their vehicles. Huge thing on college campuses if you love parking tail in (not nose in).
Unfortunately, license plate scanning is now being used for toll collection and speed / red light cameras, so I think the remaining 31 states aren't likely to change in the near future.

Most of the bridges and tunnels in the New York / New Jersey area are cashless. Rather than require all cars to have electronic toll tags, they photograph the plates and send a bill.

Round trip bridge tolls are about $21, so having 2 license plates increases the chances that they get a clear picture of the plate... not to mention those wonderful speed and red light cameras. There are dozens of them within a 5 mile radius of my house.

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
Unfortunately, license plate scanning is now being used for toll collection and speed / red light cameras, so I think the remaining 31 states aren't likely to change in the near future.

Most of the bridges and tunnels in the New York / New Jersey area are cashless. Rather than require all cars to have electronic toll tags, they photograph the plates and send a bill.

Round trip bridge tolls are about $21, so having 2 license plates increases the chances that they get a clear picture of the plate... not to mention those wonderful speed and red light cameras. There are dozens of them within a 5 mile radius of my house.
My father worked on most of the tolls on the east coast (from Boston to Miami) and some Canadian tolls before he quit and moved to a government position; very demanding job. Even with the single plate, the camera does get a clear picture unless its obstructed. I've personally seen this multiple times while he was working on the tolls from home. He does drive on tolls still although, without a toll responder (I use it in my vehicle, since it's also the family vehicle).

There is literally no point for a front plate to exist, even for tolls.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
One use case. Allowing the Tesla side cameras to capture the plate number of the car that hit you while pulling into the next parking spot....

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
My father worked on most of the tolls on the east coast (from Boston to Miami) and some Canadian tolls before he quit and moved to a government position; very demanding job. Even with the single plate, the camera does get a clear picture unless its obstructed. I've personally seen this multiple times while he was working on the tolls from home. He does drive on tolls still although, without a toll responder (I use it in my vehicle, since it's also the family vehicle).

I agree. I think the rear camera photo should be clear, most of the time, but since each bad photo costs them up to $21, they rely on that second photo.

The long term solution for tolls should be some sort of mandatory electronic identification tag. I know a lot of people who don't trust them because they fear the government (or a spouse) could track them, but they really should be mandatory.

In New York City, the NYPD uses Automatic License Plate Readers (ALPRs) to scan cars, parked or driving in both directions in real time. As they drive up and down the street, their computer picks up every license plate it sees and looks it up, throwing alerts when it finds something like expired registrations, unpaid tickets, people with warrants and even terrorists

At least for NYC, those front plates are here to stay.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Low voltage, wireless transponder. Same range as a standard wifi router, would need much less power. Anyone can read it, anyone can see it--within range. Exact same thing as current license plates, but digital. Aesthetics fixed, positional issues fixed, clear pictures problems fixed. The real struggle would be the simple transition. Just a principles-first thought, haha cheers!

simonizr

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
In CA you can leave it on your front dash. Wait till you get pulled over and pull it out of the glove box... wait do CT's have glove boxes? ha ha

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
CT attracts a diverse group of people including at least two Red Green fans...keep your stick on the ice.