Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
Why does everyone act like Tesla is still a strapped for cash start-up? Especially Tesla. Look, if TWRAPS or another small business on this forum wanted to ask for some grace for a minute while they get some wins, I'm all about it. Tesla, not so much.
It’s not about being stepped for cash, it’s about being a publicly traded company where the share price means something
Sponsored

DumpsterFire

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
My bad, @DumpsterFire - if that sounded like a personal attack, it wasn't. I hear that line a lot and I just disagree with it. Tesla is the 15th most valuable company in the world by market cap (roughly $555B). They can afford to pay someone to add basic lane keeping assistance TODAY. They can afford to pay a team to fix the aero covers, TODAY. Money makes the world go round, and they have lots of it.
You’re good dude. No worries! I totally get the frustration.

wanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CRVEX-LAWD
Country flag
I think a lot of people would be happy with getting basic autopilot at this point.
I think they have all available fsd resources dedicated to 99% of the fleet, and are saying they won't spend work to get even just autopilot going

ModelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MX, 2023 M3 SR X 2, 2021 M3 LR
Country flag
It will arrive just before the end of the year or into 2025. More to coincide with the regular CT release along with higher output

CTInProcess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
That's your opinion. I'm curious as to how much time or road miles you've spent with FSD engaged. I've done thousands, and it's definitely a huge driver relief mode and safer overall. Yes, I've stopped it from doing things that I thought were about to go very bad, I've stopped it from changing lanes because it didn't know what lane it really needed to be in (and I've been wrong about that several times). It's definitely way safer than manually driving shortly after dusk when deer are next to invisible alongside the road. Overall, I would use FSD almost all the time as I really like how it allows me to have my head on a swivel.
Im trying to save people money. You’ve had it over thousands or miles, I only had it during the free trial period and like you said, IMO AP is good enough, especially for those who like to drive.

If you’re one of those people who hate driving and want to have a student driver drive for you, or you want to piss off other drivers on the street than FSD is for you.

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
Im trying to save people money. You’ve had it over thousands or miles, I only had it during the free trial period and like you said, IMO AP is good enough, especially for those who like to drive.

If you’re one of those people who hate driving and want to have a student driver drive for you, or you want to piss off other drivers on the street than FSD is for you.
Yeah it reacts too slow and it’s not good in the city. Maybe in a rural area it’s ok.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, R1T, Bronco Raptor
Country flag
So the CT doesn’t have any advanced cruise control or lane keeping assistance?
It has adaptive cruise but lane keep, centering, or “autopilot” does not currently function. So it seems to be pretty far from seeing active FSD.

Coltpete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
As I understand it…
The issue has something to do with the four-wheel steering.
And that the neural net is not trained to deal with it.
So my guess is that it’s not about spending more time working on this .
They just need more CyberTrucks on the road to shadow…
So if you’ve already received your truck, drive the hell out of it for the rest of us😁
Then deactivate rear wheel steering while using autopilot until they can get it right. Simple fix to a problem. My concern is its a bigger problem than that otherwise that's what they would have done.

Elon's definition of "a few months" is probably closer to half a year or more.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
yes so if rear-steer is the bottleneck, FSD engineering could disable rear steering on freeway driving and give us simple AP for long roadtrips. Wes Morrill’s CT engineering team has already given us a “disable rear-steer” for Baja mode, so the control mechanism is already in the software!

Seems like a low-overhead means of placating all of us FS-CT owners for the interim, until they can fully-bake an FSD that includes rear-steer for all speeds and all driving contexts.
Everyone that has driven the Cybertruck says that it takes time to get used to it. Have you ever heard someone say something like that about another Tesla? Basically once you adapt to driving one Tesla you can drive any of them, but not the Cybertruck. That tells us what we need to know about the complexity from a hands-on level. From a technical point of view, I suspect that it is more than just 4WS. The SBW system changes steering with speed and that algorithm has to be accommodated in the steering control perhaps as much as 4WS. The placement and number of camera has changed and that has to be accommodated. The mass of the vehicle and its dimensions are grossly different from earlier vehicles and that has to be accommodated. It is by no means a simple matter just at the automation level, and then there is the training. You need a massive amount of data to train both on the telemetry side and on the control side, and there are about 10,000 Cybertrucks on the road over months compared to millions of the rest of the fleet over a decade. We really are going to have to be patient on this. I am amazed that he even said months.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I’m still under the “I’ll believe it when it see it” mentality for FSD on the Cybertruck
Very wise. We know it will come but seeing is believing for sure.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

That doesn't make it a waste of money sir. That makes it a work in progress. How many times have you bought/used something in beta? Its a rhetorical question, because virtually *everything* you have bought/used is in beta, but that probably didn't stop you from buying and using things that you needed. The promise of FSD is autonomy for the driver and safety for humanity. If its just about what it can offer you, today, then you could say that almost anything but food, shelter, utilities, and some health care aren't worth the money. You have to think beyond the end of your nose sometimes.

CTInProcess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
That doesn't make it a waste of money sir. That makes it a work in progress. How many times have you bought/used something in beta? Its a rhetorical question, because virtually *everything* you have bought/used is in beta, but that probably didn't stop you from buying and using things that you needed. The promise of FSD is autonomy for the driver and safety for humanity. If its just about what it can offer you, today, then you could say that almost anything but food, shelter, utilities, and some health care aren't worth the money. You have to think beyond the end of your nose sometimes.
Except this crap has been in Beta for 10+ and it’s going to be in beta another 10+ and we will be making the same excuse….. along with “for humanity” 😂😂

“Needed” being the keyword. You don’t need it, use AP, it’s good enough.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I recently had somebody (a smart but non EV person) tell me that if the battery died you should just tow the Tesla and use regenerative braking to charge the battery. That's a surefire method of seriously damaging, if not destroying, your car.
I think they meant if your battery is getting too low, but not completely dead, you can tow it to charge it. As long as the Battery Management System is still working, this will not damage anything because the car can't tell whether you are tow charging it or whether it just made it to the top of the pass, and is now descending and taking advantage of regen braking. The BMS wil not allow the battery to over-charge or charge too much, it will just reduce regen braking as necessary. You need to be in drive if you don't want to damage anything.
Sponsored

Last edited: