Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I think the main reason for taking time to turn FSD on in CT would be testing. They can easily ignore the new camera, for eg. The API they use for CT control is probably same / very similar to other vehicles. So, the actual integration would not take up too much time. But they do have to test - probably adjust some stuff for different dimensions.

Ofcourse, the way Elon wrote that tweet was BAD - he should have said they are working on it and it will take x amount of time. He probably instantly killed a lot of FS potential orders. I was considering ordering FS for a possible summer roadtrip if I got the invite - but I probably won't order now since I can't use CT for the roadtrip if AP is not enabled.
People don't realize that the removal of the ultrasonic sensor was a MUCH BIGGER issue than adding the Cybertruck will be. Significant amounts of the code had to be updated to support TeslaVision. That started about September last year and stretched to May before the code bases were brought back into sync.
Sponsored

vertigo3pc

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
turo.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD FS, Model X, Model Y
Country flag
You know the whole "anything Musk says take with a grain of salt" thing? Goes both ways: overly optimistic predictions have gotten them in trouble before. I'd much rather Musk say "it'll take a bit to get fully implemented into the CT software" than have them say "2 weeks!"

EMoeller

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsches (992 Turbo S, 993 Turbo, 993 Targa) Prius
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Feisty thread. We all want FSD, unfortunately it is still some ways off for everyone. The current public version (v11.4.x not everyone gets this but it is out there) came out in December. The latest beta (Tesla employees or special invites only) (v12.1) just came out last week and is probably the version (when released) that Tesla will start testing on CT. Here is an unauthorized YouTube of a test drive.

There is a very long history for FSD, but essentially it is iteratively improving with each release. The hope at Tesla now is that V12 will utilize Tesla's supercomputer (DoJo) AI for video from the millions of vehicles to more rapidly gain FSD capabilities. The YouTube video shows where we stand today...

As in most new technologies things are not linear and the chief chip engineer for DoJo departed a few weeks ago, supposedly over problems with the Tensor chip he was working on.

With all of this as background my feeling is that if anyone can do this it is Tesla. Mercedes gets a lot of press as it is the first in the US to have level 3 driving, but it (like the San Francisco and Phoenix taxis) are limited to very specific geographic locations. Tesla could easily do this now, but it is looking at the larger picture for FSD for all Tesla vehicles throughout the world.

FSD could come quickly (a year or so) or much longer. I'm ordering it if/when I get my FS order request - I have faith....

Nabilriaz69

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So much FUD here, lol.

IMO, CT will have fsd enabled within the next 30-45 days easy.

We shall see...
Well you need to read the title of the thread

evnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
So much FUD here, lol.

We shall see...
Well - what exactly does "not a priority" mean to you ?

To me it means - we can do it quickly, if we wanted to - but we won't, because its not a priority.

evnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
People don't realize that the removal of the ultrasonic sensor was a MUCH BIGGER issue than adding the Cybertruck will be. Significant amounts of the code had to be updated to support TeslaVision. That started about September last year and stretched to May before the code bases were brought back into sync.
Hmmm ... Esp. as someone who posts a lot in the AP/FSD forum over at TMC ...

BTW, the difficulty was with removal of Radar, not ultrasonic. Ultrasonic is a problem for parking.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
So much FUD here, lol.

We shall see...
I hope, but it mat be a little longer just because of the software cycles.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Hmmm ... Esp. as someone who posts a lot in the AP/FSD forum over at TMC ...

BTW, the difficulty was with removal of Radar, not ultrasonic. Ultrasonic is a problem for parking.
Yea, no. The RADAR was disabled without anyone knowing it. The only reason that people knew it was disabled was because it was in the release notes and then they started disconnected them on some Model Ss.

The removal of the ultrasonics started least September or so and required TeslaVision to replace it. About that time a recall came through that wreaked all sorts of havoc. New cars without ultrasonics didn't get FSD until about May and then a month or two later came into parity with the USS vehicles.

I know this information by fact, I lived through it. I NEVER noticed the RADAR getting disabled.

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Because that’s how they fund the development.

Look I think it’s a pretty simply proposition. Either pay for it and get the CT or don’t pay for it and don’t get the CT.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yep, that was my calculation when I took the deal. If I were 20 years younger I'm sure I would have had more patience, and less confidence I could afford it long-term. It's no bargain, but I was going to spend on most of that stuff anyway and don't see any more budget-friendly choices coming along in less than well over a year.

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
wait, What? NO FSD, summons, self parking?? Pay big $$ and don't get squat but Only a dumb cable and box for charging another vehicle or your home and white trim... Well, I guess we should only pay for what we get right? hmmm there has to be a law against this.......
Against us being dumb and desperate enough to take that deal? No, I think not. 😂 😂 😂