GM announces the Chevy Silverado EV: 400 miles of range with Ultium battery techCHEVROLET CONFIRMS THE FIRST-EVER ELECTRIC SILVERADO FULL-SIZE TRUCK

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Ultium.

I wish them well, but damnit this isn't a lot of hilarious investor speak.

Tesla Cybertruck GM announces the Chevy Silverado EV: 400 miles of range with Ultium battery techCHEVROLET CONFIRMS THE FIRST-EVER ELECTRIC SILVERADO FULL-SIZE TRUCK 1617155445238
Sponsored

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Detroit is stuck in a box. Same ol’ pickup design, new contemporary drivetrain. Nothing interesting here. GM and F need to take the restraints off their design dept.!
Bear in mind, the "big 3" have been the only successful American car companies in the last 100 years. no others have survived more than a couple of years at best.

Until Tesla, but even they are still a very young car company by many standards.

They may be slow to change what has worked for them and kept them going for so long.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Bear in mind, the "big 3" have been the only successful American car companies in the last 100 years. no others have survived more than a couple of years at best.

Until Tesla, but even they are still a very young car company by many standards.

They may be slow to change what has worked for them and kept them going for so long.
BIG 3 enjoyed regulatory capture and a MASS market that others lacked. Early entrants pioneered some innovative designs DKW 3cyl/3coils, Volvo104 disc brakes and Jaguar DOHC just to name a few. All crashed into the regulatory machinery that is the USA.

AGW disrupted automotive/locomotive and Tesla were at the pivot. Elon with 3x startup success knew disruption, early mover advantage and understood more physics. Elon pulled out all the stops, channeled energy into efficiency and focused on overcoming electric, battery and range objections in public perception.

Chevrolet EV1 was an amazing innovation in design, inductive charging and success from the start. The Big 3 have only their own detrimental reliance on regulatory capture to blame for killing their early mover sacrifice. Silly is the notion now to recast Silverado in its lead role to change public perception with a platform that brings its disadvantages in a chassis that is too heavy, too expensive, too poorly built in both fit and finish.

Chevrolet has no Tesla level ingenuity, tech integration and startup innovation to contribute to BEV. Witness a “do over” management mentality repowering last century profitable vehicles (HUMMER, Sikverado) expecting brand loyalty to drag its sorry state into the EV business. Chev is a Big company. It has brought its biggest vehicles and it has spared no expense in making its big splash in Tesla’s little pond. BUT. Management missed floodgates waiting behind its drop in the pond effort.

Tesla are post engineering, past design development, source secure supply of material and on schedule for production to meet BEV demand. Toyota is testing EV in co-development with Tesla powertrain integration. Synergies are multipliers that lead you to new paradigms.

Big 3 are so slow. Slow to market to the point of abandonment. Too slow for the US.gov incentive to return its marque to pinnacles of profitability. Big 3 are so slow it is a steep slope now for all of them to overcome a market it saw coming, abandoned and chose, in spite, fossil fuels.

Repowered vehicles will be History’s emblematic icons that reflect a loss of sight for the vision that made companies great in the first place. FORD standardization and assembly line innovation, Chevrolet race-proven OHV engine and Chrysler’s superior engineering in electronics and motors like the slant-6 or Hemi that held cult status.

Big 3 success over the last 100 years was last century!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
When all the Tesla competitor vapor ware trucks don’t come to market, the ICE diehards might end up like Ginger Billy here.

This reminds me of my brother's manual civic. It had 200+ K miles on it, I got more wind coming from the floor than from windows. Everything was held together with duct tape. You "had to" be a gentleman because the passenger door would not open from inside. You could bring a house down just with sound of the rusted muffler. Once at a red light, we were sandwiched between two monster trucks with drivers looking just like this dude. My brother said watch this. He pushed the gas couple of times and then the show began. We were too low so neither of them could even see us. Each were thinking the challenge is coming from the other. Engines were reving at reline, bird exchange was going through the roof. We drowned in the smoke of their tires when light went green but I could not stop laughing. I am down with saving the planet and wish Silverado best of luck but I doubt I will ever get that much joy out of any EV.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
OK. Days later and I am still laughing about the Ginger Billy video. I especially like the part here where his dually "pickup" for towing is front-wheel drive. I literally laughed out loud when I saw him spinning the front tires going up the hill here.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
If you mean for long trips/supercharging, I see your point.

That said, 99% of the time you're charging at home. Full "tank" literally every morning, from home. Unless you don't have access to a charger at home (like you live in an apartment without them), and you aren't supercharging for a trip, there is no need to worry about infastructure.
Also, you don't necessarily need superchargers everywhere either. If you're only making a 400 mile (or so) trip in one day (it's a lot), then it would make sense for hotels to just put in a bunch of level 2 chargers in the parking lot. Then you could charge while you sleep just like home. Much easier/cheaper than installing the SCs.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
General Motors announced earlier today that it will build an all-new EV under its Chevrolet brand by electrifying the Silverado pickup, a highly-dedicated and popular model that has been a top choice of GM truck buyers for years. GM will build the pickup at its Factory ZERO assembly plant in Detroit and Hamtramck, Michigan.

The Chevrolet Silverado EV will be a full-sized pickup designed from the ground up to fit the electric vehicle market. Combining the proven success of the Silverado lineup with GM’s Ultium battery platform will give customers an estimated 400 miles of range on a full charge, GM said during a Tuesday press conference. The introduction of the Silverado EV combines the Chevrolet brand’s 100 years of truck expertise and experience with the company’s commitment to rolling out a lineup of highly effective and popular EVs in a spirited attempt to gain overall market share ownership in the coming years.

Chevrolet-Silverado-E-Teaser.jpg

Chevrolet confirms the first-ever electric Silverado full-size truck, with a GM-estimated range of more than 400 miles on a full charge, to be built at Factory ZERO, Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center. Actual range may vary based on several factors, including temperature, terrain, battery age, loading, and how you use and maintain your vehicle.

GM is planning a large-scale transition to sustainable passenger transportation by delivering at least 1 million EVs globally by 2025. By utilizing its manufacturing efforts and sheer size, GM believes it can overtake Tesla as the most popular EV brand globally, especially through developments made to its in-house battery platform, known as the Ultium Platform.

Expecting to produce the vehicle for both retail and fleet purposes, GM is under the impression that the Silverado EV will be in high demand. To increase its sustainability efforts and align with global climate change reduction strategies, GM will build the Silverado EV at the Factory ZERO facility in Michigan, a plant that was named after the company’s future of zero crashes, zero emissions, and zero congestion.

“The vehicles coming from Factory ZERO will change the world, and how the world views electric vehicles,” GM President Mark Reuss said earlier today. “Chevrolet will take everything Chevy’s loyal truck buyers love about Silverado — and more — and put it into an electric pickup that will delight retail and commercial customers alike.”

Along with the announcement of the Chevy Silverado EV, GM is planning to produce the HUMMER EV SUVat the ZERO plant in 2024, continuing the tradition of GM’s humvee-style passenger truck. “Driven by the Ultium Platform, the new HUMMER EV SUV launches with the exclusive Edition 1, offering greater customer choice to equip the vehicle for optimum efficiency or maximum off-road capability. GMC HUMMER EVs were envisioned to be the most capable and compelling electric supertrucks,” GM said.

SOURCE: TESLARATI

GM confirms electric Chevrolet Silverado pickup to follow Hummer EV
PUBLISHED TUE, APR 6 202112:00 PM EDTUPDATED TUE, APR 6 202112:10 PM EDT

Michael Wayland@MIKEWAYLAND

KEY POINTS
  • General Motors plans to produce an all-electric Chevrolet Silverado pickup at its new flagship assembly plant for EVs that’s under construction in Detroit.
  • The new pickup is part of a $2.2 billion investment in the plant to produce an array of its next-generation EVs beginning later this year with an all-electric GMC Hummer pickup.
  • GM declined to provide when the Chevrolet pickup will go into production at the plant.
DETROIT – General Motors confirmed plans Tuesday to produce an all-electric Chevrolet Silverado pickup at a new flagship assembly plant for EVs that’s under construction in Detroit.

The truck is part of a previously announced $2.2 billion investment in the plant to produce an array of its next-generation EVs beginning later this year with an all-electric GMC Hummer pickup. Other planned vehicles for the facility include the recently unveiled Hummer EV SUV and an autonomous multipassenger shuttle known as the Cruise Origin.

The plant, which GM renamed Factory Zero last year in a nod to the zero-emissions EVs that will be produced there, is pivotal to the automaker’s electric vehicle plans. It is the first of four North American facilities that GM has said will transition from producing vehicles with internal combustion engines to EVs. It will be a proving ground and proof-point for the company’s promise that it can produce profitable electric vehicles.

“The vehicles coming from Factory Zero will change the world, and how the world views electric vehicles,” GM President Mark Reuss said in a statement. “The GMC Hummer EV SUV joins its stablemate in the realm of true supertrucks, and Chevrolet will take everything Chevy’s loyal truck buyers love about Silverado — and more — and put it into an electric pickup that will delight retail and commercial customers alike.”

GM declined to provide when the Chevrolet pickup will go into production at Factory Zero, a plant spanning 4.5 million square feet on the outskirts of Detroit and bordering the city of Hamtramck. The Hummer EV pickup is expected to go on sale this fall, followed by the Hummer EV SUV in early 2023.

The new Chevy Silverado EV will have a range of more than 400 miles on a full charge, according to GM.

The announced vehicles are part of GM’s plan to release 30 new EVs globally by 2025 under a $27 billion investment in electric and autonomous vehicles during that time frame. By then, the company plans to sell at least 1 million EVs annually – on its way to transitioning to being a fully electric automaker by 2035.

SOURCE: CNBC
"Planning, Expecting, Coming" When and where?

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When we bought our model 3 in 2019 it was the same story. Anything worth looking at was the same price as the Telsa .... umm no thanks Hyundai/Kia.
We looked at vehicles for close to 2 years before my wife deciding she wanted a Model 3 for her Birthday present. She loves her Tesla!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Why would it have more range than the Hummer EV on the same platform?

Weird.

-Crissa
Probably because it will not be here for years after the Hummer EV.

That equals more time for technology to trickle down to their "Ultium" platform.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Show me the Money!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Show me the Money!
I’m at the point now where I basically ignore all new vehicles till you can show me a factory. Even with a factory I’m pretty touch and go about it till I start seeing vehicles come out the end of that factory.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m at the point now where I basically ignore all new vehicles till you can show me a factory. Even with a factory I’m pretty touch and go about it till I start seeing vehicles come out the end of that factory.
The problem with getting into "maybe" cars (those that may exist in future) is that once you are into that business, there is no end to it. By the time one of the maybes come close to reality, a lot of better maybes will line up that make it difficult to pull the trigger. Makes you wonder if I am going to stop looking at maybes 4 years down the road, does it make sense to stop now? The problem is once you get hooked on dreaming, it is hard to quit.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
GM CEO Mary Barra Says Chevy Silverado EV Is Stunning
Tesla Cybertruck GM announces the Chevy Silverado EV: 400 miles of range with Ultium battery techCHEVROLET CONFIRMS THE FIRST-EVER ELECTRIC SILVERADO FULL-SIZE TRUCK chevrolet-silverado-ev-teaser

By: Chris Bruce

Chevy will take its truck know-how and apply it to EVs.
During General Motors' Q1 financial report call with investors, a Deutsche Bank analyst asked specifically about the Silverado EV. It gave CEO Mary Barra the chance to talk a little about the upcoming truck.

"And again, we have incredible know-how in this company and how to do full-sized trucks and we're taking that into an EV-propelled vehicle, and that I think is going to give us a winning formula. I'm excited to share that vehicle with everyone because it's just stunning," Barra said.

GM is expecting strong demand for the electric Silverado, according to Barra. She believes the Utlium platform could help the company achieve market leadership.

In April, Chevy confirmed the Silverado EV. It will build the model alongside the GMC Hummer EV at the automaker's Detroit-Hamtramck Factory Zero facility. Both will ride on the Ultium platform, and the goal will be for the electric Silverado to have a range of around 400 miles (644 kilometers).

"The vehicles coming from Factory Zero will change the world, and how the world views electric vehicles," said GM President Mark Reuss when announcing the Silverado EV. "The GMC Hummer EV SUV joins its stablemate in the realm of true supertrucks, and Chevrolet will take everything Chevy’s loyal truck buyers love about Silverado — and more — and put it into an electric pickup that will delight retail and commercial customers alike."

There are no details about when the Silverado EV arrives. Given that it rides on a different platform than the current pickup, there's the possibility for major styling differences between the two models.
GM is investing $2.2 billion into the Detroit-Hamtramck facility to make the site a major hub for the automaker's electric vehicle production.

SOURCE: motor1

â €

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
GM CEO Mary Barra Says Chevy Silverado EV Is Stunning
chevrolet-silverado-ev-teaser.jpg

By: Chris Bruce

Chevy will take its truck know-how and apply it to EVs.
During General Motors' Q1 financial report call with investors, a Deutsche Bank analyst asked specifically about the Silverado EV. It gave CEO Mary Barra the chance to talk a little about the upcoming truck.

"And again, we have incredible know-how in this company and how to do full-sized trucks and we're taking that into an EV-propelled vehicle, and that I think is going to give us a winning formula. I'm excited to share that vehicle with everyone because it's just stunning," Barra said.

GM is expecting strong demand for the electric Silverado, according to Barra. She believes the Utlium platform could help the company achieve market leadership.

In April, Chevy confirmed the Silverado EV. It will build the model alongside the GMC Hummer EV at the automaker's Detroit-Hamtramck Factory Zero facility. Both will ride on the Ultium platform, and the goal will be for the electric Silverado to have a range of around 400 miles (644 kilometers).

"The vehicles coming from Factory Zero will change the world, and how the world views electric vehicles," said GM President Mark Reuss when announcing the Silverado EV. "The GMC Hummer EV SUV joins its stablemate in the realm of true supertrucks, and Chevrolet will take everything Chevy’s loyal truck buyers love about Silverado — and more — and put it into an electric pickup that will delight retail and commercial customers alike."

There are no details about when the Silverado EV arrives. Given that it rides on a different platform than the current pickup, there's the possibility for major styling differences between the two models.
GM is investing $2.2 billion into the Detroit-Hamtramck facility to make the site a major hub for the automaker's electric vehicle production.

SOURCE: motor1

â €
I keep my fingers crossed for it’s success. The question is, when, how many and how much?

If it is more of Hummer than bolt, it would be inconsequential to me. on the other hand if there are a lot of real CTs rolling around on highways and on the job sites, GM and Ford will have to do more than announcement. I think by the time I see a CT in my driveway, both this and F150 EV will be out but how much of a competition they will be to CT is a different question. I hope to be around to see a YouTube comparison between the three (actual vehicles).
Sponsored