Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
GM catch Tesla ??? Never going to happen. Not even a slim possibility. Not a second place either.
Probably not. Was meant to imply it was a very distant, unlikely future.

I’m not sure who second place will be. Seems like VW is probably #2. Maybe Hyundai weirdly enough.

Who else is shipping 9 GWh of vehicles in 6 months? GM also does have that 150-200 GWh in the wings. Albeit a few years out.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Uhh... NiCd? Nickel-Cadmium batteries had been out of style for about thirty years. My Gameboy from the 80s had a Lithium battery pack! Tesla has used various Lithium-polymer batteries: Li-poly, NMC, NCA, etc. Current 2170s are some sort of NCA, as probably are the Panasonic 18650s now.

LFP batteries are well-tested but only saw much use in China and bicycles because patents kept them unaffordable outside China - the patent agreement let them experiment in China without paying extra. They're bulkier and slightly heavier than the nickel-based batteries that everyone else uses... but they don't have the same charge capacity fade issue over time, Earlier ones were more susceptible to cold, but that just means they have to consume more energy for active temperature management. All Lithium batteries regain their capacity (and charge) when they warm back up anyhow.

-Crissa
You must have had a third party lithium battery pack, or third party rechargeable AA batteries for the game boy cause that thing had a battery compartment for AA's.

PS. I still have and play mine after I found it in my parents house last summer having been unused for 25-30 years cause the battery contacts were oxidized. Didn't realize at a young age that I could just remove them, drop them in vinegar for a few minutes and reinstall ready to play again in minutes!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You must have had a third party lithium battery pack, or third party rechargeable AA batteries for the game boy cause that thing had a battery compartment for AA's.

Nope, it was a Nintendo sold add-on.

PS. I still have and play mine after I found it in my parents house last summer having been unused for 25-30 years cause the battery contacts were oxidized. Didn't realize at a young age that I could just remove them, drop them in vinegar for a few minutes and reinstall ready to play again in minutes!
Uhh... the cells have sustained damage when they leak, don't use them. They can short out. They're not as flammable as lithium cells, but they are toxic and can melt the case or corrode the wiring.

-Crissa

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag

Nope, it was a Nintendo sold add-on.

Uhh... the cells have sustained damage when they leak, don't use them. They can short out. They're not as flammable as lithium cells, but they are toxic and can melt the case or corrode the wiring.

-Crissa
I wasn't talking about rechargeable battery cells being oxidized. I was talking about the battery contacts inside the AA battery compartment on the Gameboy.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I wasn't talking about rechargeable battery cells being oxidized. I was talking about the battery contacts inside the AA battery compartment on the Gameboy.
Oh! Yeah. Totally clean those with acid ^-^. A lemon wedge will work, too. If the fouling is oil or fingerprints, use rubbing alcohol to melt the oils.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
BYD sells mostly NEVs, so far.

-Crissa
Yes, today BYD sells mostly NEVs (pure electric, plug-in hybrid).

By 2005, BYD Electronics had more than half the world's mobile-phone battery market and becoming the largest Chinese manufacturer (and in the top four worldwide) of all types of rechargeable batteries.[14][10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_Company

BYD Autos originally had only gas-powered cars but BYD just recently stopped all gas only models. BYD is only auto OEM that had gas-powered car that stopped gas only models.

BYD Auto did plugin hybrid years before Toyota (January 2012).

In 2008, a plug-in hybrid version of the BYD F3 compact sedan was introduced, the world's first production model plug-in hybrid car.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_Company

---------

The key difference for BYD vs other non-Tesla competition is

BYD actually started as a Lithium battery manufacturer before doing cars.

BYD makes enough hybrid & EV batteries to be a major global battery manufacturer.

For modern EV era (2000 - present), BYD was actually first auto maker to make production volume of EV batteries. With 4680s, Tesla is now the 2nd.
So far only BYD and Tesla can make production volumes of their own EV batteries.

BYD makes a lot of automobile-size LFP ( LiFePO4) batteries.

BYD LFP Blade battery is both fire resistant & significantly less costly than GM Ultiums

BYD's volume of EVs has increased significantly every year (unlike GM & Ford).

BYD already has presence on USA (makes buses & trucks). BYD has other bus/truck factories outside China. Likely BYD will have USA auto plant. BYD even makes semiconductor chips so BYD might even be more vertically integrated than Tesla. BYD could do a Tesla like Tera factory.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Last edited: