Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Toyota Scion xB, 2009 F250
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I live in a very dark area with no street lights at corners. Turning at these corners, it's very hard to see where the road is let alone see any obstructions such as parked cars. Will CT or X provide any help here, as in headlights that light up to the side when I go to turn? That would be hugely helpful.

Something like a locomotive's ditch lights that shine a light into the ditches beside the tracks.

Thanks.
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
AP is vision based with night vision, so it's really a moot point for most cases. I'd assume you'll be able to make additional light installs if you really want.

OP
OP

webroady

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
AP is vision based with night vision, so it's really a moot point for most cases. I'd assume you'll be able to make additional light installs if you really want.
Hmmm…. Not used to thinking about self driving vehicles. But even with self driving it would be easier to monitor the process (we’re still supposed to be in control, right?) if I could see into dark corners. Guess I could just watch the AI screen but there have been some cases where the AI doesn’t see everything that’s there.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Are you talking about the kind of light that police cars sometimes have, because that would clearly be aftermarket.

If you are talking about articulated lights probably only possible with the running lights given that the headlights are part of the light bar. No one actually knows unless they have see the CT driving corners at night, and it is only a prototype and clearly doesn’t have many features of the production truck.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
The front corners of the truck are already angled, they could aim (some of?) those LEDs a little more towards the side and then only turn those on when the truck is turning or indicating a turn.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The front corners of the truck are already angled, they could aim (some of?) those LEDs a little more towards the side and then only turn those on when the truck is turning or indicating a turn.
Elon sometimes watches/responds on Twitter. Maybe you could make the suggestion there, or on TeslaTap as they might look at popular suggested features. I do not think anyone would complain about this but if the light bar is one integrated unit it might not be in the [initial] plan to provide this kind of functionality.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
As an aside, the Model S has adaptive headlights already. They light up different LEDs based on what speed and direction the car's path is.

-Crissa
It is likely that the lower lights can be adaptive but it would be a surprise if the light bar ones are. When you mentioned the S (and presumably the X as well) did you mean the headlights or the lower lights?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It is likely that the lower lights can be adaptive but it would be a surprise if the light bar ones are. When you mentioned the S (and presumably the X as well) did you mean the headlights or the lower lights?
The light bar is likely only legal for off-road use in most states. Lots of laws around location, quantity, and brightness of headlights. Most states limit lights above the grill to off road only and require the off-road lights be either off or covered.

OP
OP

webroady

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Exactly. RAM pickup trucks have been doing this for a couple of years now. Maybe Ford as well? I think in RAM's case the headlight actually swivels to do this. CT wouldn't require any moving parts.

OP
OP

webroady

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Elon sometimes watches/responds on Twitter. Maybe you could make the suggestion there, or on TeslaTap as they might look at popular suggested features. I do not think anyone would complain about this but if the light bar is one integrated unit it might not be in the [initial] plan to provide this kind of functionality.
I have no idea how to suggest this via Twitter or TeslaTap. How to do this?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I live in a very dark area with no street lights at corners. Turning at these corners, it's very hard to see where the road is let alone see any obstructions such as parked cars. Will CT or X provide any help here, as in headlights that light up to the side when I go to turn? That would be hugely helpful.

Something like a locomotive's ditch lights that shine a light into the ditches beside the tracks.

Thanks.
Existing Tesla's have some of the best lighting systems in the auto business with very effective coverage.

There is no reason to expect this to change with the Cybertruck.

On the Mach-e it is necessary to buy one of the higher trim levels to get the headlights that get the "Safety Plus" rating in IIHS's night lighting test but even the lowliest base model Tesla come with headlights that can pass NHTSA's "Safety Plus" tests. Tesla takes safety very seriously, day or night.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Existing Tesla's have some of the best lighting systems in the auto business with very effective coverage.

There is no reason to expect this to change with the Cybertruck.

On the Mach-e it is necessary to buy one of the higher trim levels to get the headlights that get the "Safety Plus" rating in IIHS's night lighting test but even the lowliest base model Tesla come with headlights that can pass NHTSA's "Safety Plus" tests. Tesla takes safety very seriously, day or night.
This may change later, but Tesla has pretty much nuked the entire concept of trim levels. You buy a Tesla and you are getting very nearly what everyone else gets. None of the profit maximizing nonsense you see at the other auto makers. "Heres the price... haha just kidding, nobody wants that build the real price is $20,000 more!".
Sponsored