Heated exoskeleton?

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
Curious how feasible it would be to add heat to the stainless skeleton. Not much, just enough to melt ice that has frozen to it.

Glass is presumed to either be heated or would achieve this via heating of the cab. The sliding cover would benefit from it, but less essential in terms of visibility.

Since it’s likely to be parked outside for some given it’s length, a body defrost option would be awesome for us northerners.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

chphilo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), Tundra
Country flag
I live in the northwestern PA with my truck is always parked outside and this thought has never crossed my mind. What function would that serve? Just curious.

(Now I see some benefit for a heater for the door (and/or handle), but the whole body?)

OP
OP

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
For me the benefit would be twofold:

1) I park at home in a heated garage, but park during the day at a train station. If it dumps snow during the day, you could remotely initiate a body defrost on your way home to not just heat the cab, but remove all the snow in your vision field. Given the flat constant slope, snow and ice would slide right off - no scraping or brushing.

2) At my home garage, a ton of snow on my car melts and gets the garage very wet. Much more than just coming in from the rain. Yeah - I know - it’s a garage. But I store stuff in there and anything on the floor near my car will get wet when it melts.

I admit these are pretty specific to me and my situation, but as you pointed out, heated door handles would be very functional for many. If the steel used for the body was a good heat conductor, a few elements inside the panel would do it - like a heated steering wheel, but not nearly as hot.

This is a tech - heavy vehicle that will be functional as a workhorse to some, but bought by many as an alternative to an SUV or a luxury pickup. Adding as luxury and cold weather options things like higher end heated seating and the ability to never scrape windows or brush off snow has an appeal to some. Imagine wind driven snow in 5 degree (or less) weather. Drifts on and around every car in the lot. But a CT owner walks to their vehicle that’s totally clear and warmed, and drives right off. And no snow/ice blowing off while driving that might impair your own vision, CT cameras, or vehicles behind you.

Also, I’m not sure how “sticky” ice will be on bare stainless - ice buildup could be worse than normal. Could eliminate random scrapes from clearing dirty ice from critical areas.

Again - not a “need”, but for me it’s a “want”. Not that different than an atv or a giant touch screen...and it would be like nothing else out there. With no painting inside or out, application wouldn’t be difficult - adhesive pads that could also have sound deadening properties, and some wiring (there will already a ton of that lol).

If not OEM, maybe an opportunity for for the aftermarket if access to the inside of the exterior shell isn’t difficult and there isnt already soundproofing that would prevent it.... (Elon...are you monitoring this site...) ?

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
How energy intensive would this draw be on the battery? Probably would not be too bad at 0C to -10C and not really needed after that temp as the snow would not stick to badly. Not something I would spec for myself as the cost/benefit is not there for me.

OP
OP

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
Exactly. Don’t need it to be on all the time - just a 15-30 min run timer. For me it’d be used more in a year than fog lights, off-road mode, vault hvac, powering tools or using the on board air compressor. ?‍♂

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
i live in Florida, and I can see how this would be fantastic for you poor poor yankees... And Big E can have his software tech guys add the aspect of remotely turning it on, and having it programmed to come on at certain times of the day...heck he can have it pull weather current weather data from WeatherUnderground or something so "it" only comes on when it might be needed. (Have it do the door locks at the same time.)

OP
OP

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
Thanks for the sympathy and not rubbing the Florida life in very much. ?

I’m defiantly looking forward to remote hvac triggering regardless - that benefits all of us!

chphilo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), Tundra
Country flag
For me the benefit would be twofold:

1) I park at home in a heated garage, but park during the day at a train station. If it dumps snow during the day, you could remotely initiate a body defrost on your way home to not just heat the cab, but remove all the snow in your vision field. Given the flat constant slope, snow and ice would slide right off - no scraping or brushing.

2) At my home garage, a ton of snow on my car melts and gets the garage very wet. Much more than just coming in from the rain. Yeah - I know - it’s a garage. But I store stuff in there and anything on the floor near my car will get wet when it melts.

I admit these are pretty specific to me and my situation, but as you pointed out, heated door handles would be very functional for many. If the steel used for the body was a good heat conductor, a few elements inside the panel would do it - like a heated steering wheel, but not nearly as hot.

This is a tech - heavy vehicle that will be functional as a workhorse to some, but bought by many as an alternative to an SUV or a luxury pickup. Adding as luxury and cold weather options things like higher end heated seating and the ability to never scrape windows or brush off snow has an appeal to some. Imagine wind driven snow in 5 degree (or less) weather. Drifts on and around every car in the lot. But a CT owner walks to their vehicle that’s totally clear and warmed, and drives right off. And no snow/ice blowing off while driving that might impair your own vision, CT cameras, or vehicles behind you.

Also, I’m not sure how “sticky” ice will be on bare stainless - ice buildup could be worse than normal. Could eliminate random scrapes from clearing dirty ice from critical areas.

Again - not a “need”, but for me it’s a “want”. Not that different than an atv or a giant touch screen...and it would be like nothing else out there. With no painting inside or out, application wouldn’t be difficult - adhesive pads that could also have sound deadening properties, and some wiring (there will already a ton of that lol).

If not OEM, maybe an opportunity for for the aftermarket if access to the inside of the exterior shell isn’t difficult and there isnt already soundproofing that would prevent it.... (Elon...are you monitoring this site...) ?

After reading your explanation, I want this also.

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
I think that would be very useful in the winter. I love remote start on my F250 truck as I leave the blower on with heat on high so I can start it up as soon as I get up to plow. Now if we could just get confirmation that this “work truck” will be able to mount a snow plow!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
How energy intensive would this draw be on the battery?
It takes a ton of energy to melt a ton of ice in a day. A ton is 12,000 BTU/H which is 12000/3412 = 3.517 kW. Thus it would take 84 kWh of battery to melt a ton of ice.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I wouldn't use a sledge. I'd use the same tool Franz did. A sledge would doubtless make a pretty big ding.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I thought he used a sledge hammer. My mistake.
Pretty sure it was a dead blow sledge hammer. The head has a coating and there is usually shot inside. Still probably 10 pounds, and dont be fooled it still would significantly damage any standard vehicle door.