Help me solve this Cybertruck Riddle...!

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure this one out...Real or fake!? Hear me out now...! Watch the shadows on the street as this race takes off...
At first the shadows are casting backwards, starting at the front of the Cybertruck and the Porsche.
Then they are casting forward, outpacing the Cybertruck and the Porsche.

It takes about 12 hours for the sun to shift like that...I'm just saying. Is this race photo shopped or something and they forgot to shift the shadows?

Help me solve this riddle...!

I stopped watching Tesla drag races along time ago. Yes acceleration is awesome. Got it.
Sponsored

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The overhead shot and the “from the side” shot are probably different takes. The road may also be curved. I’m 90% sure it’s not CGI.

Regardless, I won’t lose any sleep over it.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
It matters if they are lying...about a race with shadows 12 hours apart. Does integrity just not matter in this world anymore ‽ I love the Cybertruck!!! But tell me the truth!
It's all about lighting.

You do realize that they could have ran the race multiple times and each time the dual motor (read the Motor Trend article after reveal day) Cybertruck beat the 911. They ran it multiple times filming from different angles then spliced together the best looking shots. Neither dishonest or overly aggressive marketing, simply showing it off to the best of their ability. This is Tesla, not some schmo with a fledgling YouTube channel and his IPhone 6. They have real videographers whose jobs are t make things look their best. They don’t have reason to lie. Their product is the proof.
Agreed. Just to add something about one of a videographers' prime constraints: lighting. You want the sun at a right angle or better yet, behind you. Not in front of the camera.

In the first scene (the start of the race) the sun was low and at a right angle to the camera and the shadows were behind the vehicles. This is ideal. If the race was taken in one shot, with the sun where it was in the sky, the second camera (drone) would have the sun washing out the video. Therefore, they waited until later when the sun was in the right spot to run the race again to film the finish of the race.

At least that's what I would have done.

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
You do realize that they could have ran the race multiple times and each time the dual motor (read the Motor Trend article after reveal day) Cybertruck beat the 911. They ran it multiple times filming from different angles then spliced together the best looking shots. Neither dishonest or overly aggressive marketing, simply showing it off to the best of their ability. This is Tesla, not some schmo with a fledgling YouTube channel and his IPhone 6. They have real videographers whose jobs are t make things look their best. They don’t have reason to lie. Their product is the proof.
Very good! I accept that. Great explanation.

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
You could also run the race on the track from left to right, and then back again right to left.

They always do this with land speed records to make sure it wasn't a wind fluke.

-Crissa
Okay...I'm catching on...

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Why do you think the race was 6 seconds? Because the clip of it is 6 seconds? At end of video Tesla post 1/4 mile in 10.8sec.
All good points...I have a better understanding after reading your and other responses. Thank you.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Many cybertruck shots in the launch video were a render as far as I know. Even if they actually did shooting, it was probably over the course of a few days and just jumbled in editing.
agreed... and from different angles.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure this one out...Real or fake!? Hear me out now...! Watch the shadows on the street as this race takes off...
At first the shadows are casting backwards, starting at the front of the Cybertruck and the Porsche.
Then they are casting forward, outpacing the Cybertruck and the Porsche.

It takes about 12 hours for the sun to shift like that...I'm just saying. Is this race photo shopped or something and they forgot to shift the shadows?

Help me solve this riddle...!

Yet, most reservation holders won't see their Cybertruck for a couple of years. But you can buy the Porsche....

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Maybe the first clip was in North America, the second one at the same time in Australia? I'm running low on options here.