Hey Dog Lovers, Campers, Contractors, and DIY folks! How do we petition the inventor of "Dog-Mode", to give Cyber a pass thru rear window option?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Honestly, I don't know that any metal wall would be needed over the tonneau channel if it's as insulated as advertised. It could just be the wall, meeting with the window. When you want the pass-through, you just roll the tonneau a little further into position.

-Crissa
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Honestly, I don't know that any metal wall would be needed over the tonneau channel if it's as insulated as advertised. It could just be the wall, meeting with the window. When you want the pass-through, you just roll the tonneau a little further into position.

-Crissa
I hadn't really considered that, which I guess could be possible. But if that was the design for the passthrough, anytime you have the cover closed, your passthrough would be open.

One similar idea that I had was for the wall to only be on the back of the seats and no back wall for the bed. It would basically be the same idea as yours but if you had the cover closed, you would still have the option of having the passthrough closed. However this would also require more space for the cover to completely go down when the vault is open, this would allow the passthrough to be open when you are using a tent like in Tesla picture.

I ultimately just thought that a wall on each side of the cover so the cover can easy fold with the attached walls would probably be best, at least in my own personal opinion. It's not like these need to be overly thick walls and i'm sure the 3mm stainless that they will be using for the exoskeleton will probably do perfectly to prevent dents from anything that is being hauled and be thin enough to make sure the passthrough wall isn't too thick so it can easily lay flat on the back of the seats when folded down.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hadn't really considered that, which I guess could be possible. But if that was the design for the passthrough, anytime you have the cover closed, your passthrough would be open.
Depends on how the track is designed. It could have enough pieces to fill the gap.

It would have the downside of things falling back against a moving object from the cab or bed, though.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Depends on how the track is designed. It could have enough pieces to fill the gap.

It would have the downside of things falling back against a moving object from the cab or bed, though.

-Crissa
I did consider that too if they had a longer cover, however this would require more storage space for the cover and the bigger issue that then anytime you have vault closed, the passthrough would be closed. What if someone wants to sleep in the vault while closed, or have their dogs back there but still able to come through the passthrough.

The only solution I could think for that would be a split cover on the same track, That way you could have the vault closed or open with the passthrough open or closed, allowing any combination. But this just seems to complicate things even more. Since the cover is flexible, it's likely that having it bend in a wall wouldn't be an issue at all, which makes the the current look of the cybertruck work perfectly and they would just need to adjust it to fold on the back seats.

While other designs that we've discussed here are certainly possible, needing a split cover to give all 4 possibilities:

vault open - pass open
vault open - pass closed
vault closed - pass open
vault closed - pass closed

seems to not really be worth the benefit, at least in my own personal opinion. Clearly I could be mistaken and maybe Tesla would just replace the entire wall with a split cover, or maybe they would require the pass to be closed anytime the vault is closed.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Like I said, depends on the design of the track: Not all the segments on the track need to be permanently linked in a chain. Some segments could be held back at certain points.

Think of how a cable car works or one of those theme-park rides; the panels can be grabbed and held back While others move forward.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I think a much more elegant solution is to have the midgate glass flips up and into the cabin against the roof glass and the wall between the tracks flip in to the cab, possibly flipping a small section on each side to fold over the tracks, though that extra bit just adds more complexity.

Having these more complicated solutions I think would make it not possible on launch. It would have to be a major redesign later... Or maybe an option on the future smaller truck, where the smaller bed would be helped better by being able to extended it into the interior of the cab.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
It sounds like a CyberVan is needed for all our fury friends.
I don't really know about the exoskeleton body can be changed in the back of cabin to allow a pass through but I know I could use it, What do you say Elon?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It sounds like a CyberVan is needed for all our fury friends.
I don't really know about the exoskeleton body can be changed in the back of cabin to allow a pass through but I know I could use it, What do you say Elon?
Since the wall has to be hollow for the very wide cover to open and close, the structural support has to be on each side of the wall and under. The real question is whether or not there is enough room to connect these walls together on either side without taking away from the strength of the vehicle. If they can, I don't think adding a folding feature would be very difficult. Even the space required to fold the wall down shouldn't be a problem if Tesla is able to make the seats fold similar to how they do on the Chevy Avalanche. I would really like the option because the bottom of the reat seats become a wall between the passthrough bed and back of the front seats. That way i'm not scratching up the back of my seats when i'm hauling anything with the passthrough open.

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
Didn't elon tweet something a while ago about a "port hole door" or similar. Any1 remember that? I think he was talking about a pass through. But I could also be remembering something else
I remember someone tweeted can there be a pass through and Elon said yes also he said yes to heating an a/c in bed

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
This photo of the back of the Cybertruck is wild. So much food for thought. Look at the side of the bed with all those cuts. As an early prototype, I would have thought it could easily have been one peice of flat SS on the side of that bed. But it looks like there is a lot going on there. Thoughts?

Tesla Cybertruck Hey Dog Lovers, Campers, Contractors, and DIY folks! How do we petition the inventor of "Dog-Mode", to give Cyber a pass thru rear window option? insidebed

BTW, Isn't she a Beauty!!!!

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
This photo of the back of the Cybertruck is wild. So much food for thought. Look at the side of the bed with all those cuts. As an early prototype, I would have thought it could easily have been one peice of flat SS on the side of that bed. But it looks like there is a lot going on there. Thoughts?

insidebed.jpg

BTW, Isn't she a Beauty!!!!
The back panel above the sidewall tie-down is the electrical connection (we see that when the ATV plugs in). I am guessing that either on the same side or opposite side is the aircompressor...
Could be side wall storage or maintenance panels to get to the suspension components top bolts?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The back panel above the sidewall tie-down is the electrical connection (we see that when the ATV plugs in). I am guessing that either on the same side or opposite side is the aircompressor...
Could be side wall storage or maintenance panels to get to the suspension components top bolts?
Some of those slots could be speakers like on a cell phone. The more I look at all these images supplied by Tesla, the more I suspect CGI was involved.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some of those slots could be speakers like on a cell phone. The more I look at all these images supplied by Tesla, the more I suspect CGI was involved.
I can't tell which images are CGI or not, but in the stage-demo, they did open panels and show places to plug into and store kit.

-Crissa
Sponsored