ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
I wonder if Elon's mind is so bored without new things to focus on that he has designed the Cybertruck to multi-function as the perfect land-based version of AWACS, like a remote electronic surveillance platform. o_O

Probably just a happy result of the other design considerations (like corrosion resistance).

I'm curious what were the main considerations with regard to deciding upon a left or right side mount.

Also curious why all the lines appear to terminate somewhere Vancouver, BC. while your profile says you live in California.
>I'm curious what were the main considerations with regard to deciding upon a left or right side >mount.

I clipped two antenna lip-mounts on both sides, the left side is for HF, the right side is VHF/UHF. My main consideration was to avoid the HV cables as much as possible (right side = better, away from HV charger inlet). See attached pictures of Cybertruck wire harness before final assembly, missing the orange HV cables, they are on the right side. In retrospect don't think it matters.

As far as Canada-California using mobile HF -- it is almost impossible to predict ionospheric propagation conditions and to add to the mix, the truck orientation. However mobile HF antennas are excellent for NVIS (near-vertical incidence communication) with little signal degradation at 0-500km. VHF/UHF is for line of sight (0-50miles).

Tesla Cybertruck HF, VHF/UHF antenna (for HAM radio) install on my Cybertruck, works really well! 📶 1711690261653-9u
Tesla Cybertruck HF, VHF/UHF antenna (for HAM radio) install on my Cybertruck, works really well! 📶 1711690318708-i
Sponsored

Jager

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model 3 LR AWD, Several Motorcycles
Country flag
Glad you're enjoying your install. But I'd caution about reading too much into WSPR reports - while those reports are great for comparing one antenna against another, they're far too weak to be representative of actual HF contact potential, especially on SSB phone.

What kind of problems were you having in your Model Y? I'm going to disagree with your statement that the Cybertruck is "the quietest electric vehicle, RFI-wise." I can't speak to all EV's, because I haven't tested them, but I'd argue that all Teslas are probably very quiet from an RFI perspective. Certainly the Model 3/Y is.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
With just 1 watt I was able to reach Japan, China, Russia, Australia, Morocco, Spain and Denmark! Cybetruck makes the perfect ground plane for an antenna! Previous experiences with Model Y were not so good. Cybertruck is def. the quietest electric vehicle, RFI-wise.

I managed to install an HF and a VHF/UHF lip mount antennas on my Cybertruck by removing the aeroflap. Easy install. Still researching a way to route the coax in the cabin but my RG-316 cable just snakes easily through my rear door seal.

I used the Diamond KS-400 (heavy duty, 'super-gainer", lip mount), works like a charm, super stable. Select the 16ft coax option, 6ft is not enough. I used the 3/8x24 for HF and or UHFmounts for the rest.

Antenna: Little Tarheel (500watt capable) for 0-30Mhz, Comet for 144/440Mhz
Radio: IC-705, looking into installing an HF power amp as well.
Battery: floating battery for now, will try a USB-C 'trigger' for 15V, the IC-705 has no problem with 15V PSU, I used it before.

40m band --Not tested yet.
20m band -- S1-2 when truck stopped, S9 when in motion (not usable)
10/11m band -- S1-2 when stopped or in motion, almost no noise. CB radio (11m band) also works very well!.
144/440Mhz -- S1-2 clean, can be used in motion, no problem
NOTE: HVAC puts out a lot of noise on HF but not as much as on Model Y.

Here are some pictures, enjoy!

Ask me any question, I will be glad to help,
'73s

1711660483417-jt.png

1711660515760-7i.png

1711660515760-7i.png

1711660564424-e6.png

1711660564424-e6.png
Nice. I think it would be cool if amateur band transceivers had more USB/bluetooth supported with external app controls, such that you could mount the transceiver out of sight and use an app from the touch screen or voice commands. Pressing the scroll wheel or button on the squircle for PTT would feel quite natural once in the selected mode accessing a transceiver from an app.

Daydreams ...

- ÆCIII

Douyon

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
With just 1 watt I was able to reach Japan, China, Russia, Australia, Morocco, Spain and Denmark! Cybetruck makes the perfect ground plane for an antenna! Previous experiences with Model Y were not so good. Cybertruck is def. the quietest electric vehicle, RFI-wise.

I managed to install an HF and a VHF/UHF lip mount antennas on my Cybertruck by removing the aeroflap. Easy install. Still researching a way to route the coax in the cabin but my RG-316 cable just snakes easily through my rear door seal.

I used the Diamond KS-400 (heavy duty, 'super-gainer", lip mount), works like a charm, super stable. Select the 16ft coax option, 6ft is not enough. I used the 3/8x24 for HF and or UHFmounts for the rest.

Battery: floating battery for now, will try a USB-C 'trigger' for 15V, the IC-705 has no problem with 15V PSU, I used it before.

10/11m band -- S1-2 when stopped or in motion, almost no noise. CB radio (11m band) also works very well!.

'73s

1711660483417-jt.png

1711660515760-7i.png

1711660515760-7i.png

1711660564424-e6.png

1711660564424-e6.png
Very Nice. I hope t do something similar once I get my CT.
What is your call sign, sir?

From KD2USF out of Monmouth County, NJ.

Jerrytes2023!

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck tri
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks! if and when I ever get my Cyberturck, after all the line skippers, will use your idea. Any thoughts how to get actual power to the radios? DE WA0RCX - Jerry

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Thanks! if and when I ever get my Cyberturck, after all the line skippers, will use your idea. Any thoughts how to get actual power to the radios? DE WA0RCX - Jerry
Th OP was using a Icom IC-705 which has an internal battery. He indicated that he did have it plugged into the Cybertruck via USB-C. This IC-705 does have a USB charging connection.
On internal battery the IC-705 does up to 5W, using external power via the barrel connector it will go to 10W.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Nice. I think it would be cool if amateur band transceivers had more USB/bluetooth supported with external app controls, such that you could mount the transceiver out of sight and use an app from the touch screen or voice commands. Pressing the scroll wheel or button on the squircle for PTT would feel quite natural once in the selected mode accessing a transceiver from an app.

Daydreams ...

- ÆCIII
There are quite a few out there that wat you want. But listen to what you are asking for in a vehicle, a radio that you control with a cellphone that you can't have in your hands.
I

Jerrytes2023!

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck tri
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yup got that, some of us Hams use a lot higher power radio than 10W needing either 12VDC or I guess AC with a converter hi hi

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
There are quite a few out there that wat you want. But listen to what you are asking for in a vehicle, a radio that you control with a cellphone that you can't have in your hands.
I
Not with a cellphone, but with an app added in the Tesla Infotainment or UI if Tesla would allow it.

Again - daydreams ... ;)

- ÆCIII

Eliot Minaise

First Name
Eliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag

'73s

1711660483417-jt.png

1711660515760-7i.png

1711660515760-7i.png

1711660564424-e6.png

1711660564424-e6.png
What do you use the antenna for? Like world radio?

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Th OP was using a Icom IC-705 which has an internal battery. He indicated that he did have it plugged into the Cybertruck via USB-C. This IC-705 does have a USB charging connection.
On internal battery the IC-705 does up to 5W, using external power via the barrel connector it will go to 10W.
Yes, 15V or 12V USB-PD trigger cables will work with IC-705, please make sure you get the 5.5mm 2.5mm connector option (2.1mm won't fit).

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very Nice. I hope t do something similar once I get my CT.
What is your call sign, sir?

From KD2USF out of Monmouth County, NJ.
'73s. My call sign is KN6KEZ (Pleasanton, California). Good to know so many HAMs are into Cybertruck, awesome machine. :)

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Glad you're enjoying your install. But I'd caution about reading too much into WSPR reports - while those reports are great for comparing one antenna against another, they're far too weak to be representative of actual HF contact potential, especially on SSB phone.

What kind of problems were you having in your Model Y? I'm going to disagree with your statement that the Cybertruck is "the quietest electric vehicle, RFI-wise." I can't speak to all EV's, because I haven't tested them, but I'd argue that all Teslas are probably very quiet from an RFI perspective. Certainly the Model 3/Y is.

I have a Model Y 2021-ish, the one with the heat pump. I get broadband HF noise when accelerating and when turning on the HVAC everything goes to S9. VHF/UHF is clean. Maybe it is due to my poor setup, I have lip-mounts installed on the trunk, probably not the best ground plane, no ground strapping.
Sponsored