How can this work? (Rube Goldberg charging setup!)

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Hey all... sorry , not specifically CT related but.....

Getting ready for our first big "Supercharger road trip" through the southwest national parks. For two of our stays, we'll be off the beaten path from superchargers, so I've collected a bunch of adapters to plug into level 2 chargers, outlets, etc.

Specifically, I'm worried about getting ICEd at the limited spots (or even just having an EV parked all night while not charging -- this has happened to me before).

So I've got a 50 foot NEMA 14-50 extension chord, and of course the NEMA 14-50 adapter for the Tesla portable charger. However, in the case where the Level2 is actually a J-1772 plug, I got a "J-1772 to Nema 14-50" converter, that will allow me to convert to 14-50, put the 50 foot extension cord on it, and then plug in the Tesla mobile charger. That's good for up to 90 feet away from the actually charger (assuming a 20 foot cable on the charger as well). Of course, might need to run that at reduced amps.

I also have the Teslatap "Tesla to J-1772" adapter on the way to handle being able to extend Tesla Destination chargers (one location is known to have an install problem where the charger is on the wrong side of the parking spot).

But then I realized that might not work, as I'd be pluigging a charger into a charger. Would the comms work? So I did a little test, and it did work. See picture below. That's my Clipper Creek J-1772 plugged into the Nema 14-50 converter, and then the Tesla charger plugged into that. The car charges no problem.

The question I have is..... HOW? How are both chargers getting through on comms to the car? I do note that as soon as I plug in the J-1772 to Nema 14-50, the Chargepoint charger shows active, even though the car isn't plugged in. Maybe it's the adapter doing that? And then only the mobile charger does the comms?

Thoughts?

Will do a similar test with the TeslaTap on the Tesla home charger when I get it.

ETA: Home charger is Clipper Creek, not Chargepoint!

Tesla Cybertruck How can this work? (Rube Goldberg charging setup!) IMG_4739
Sponsored

Last edited:

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Not sure how it works but I would check www.plugshare.com's map to see what chargers are available in the areas you are going. They have all kinds of chargers including Tesla's.

You didn't mention if your car was capable of CCS adapter capability. There is an information display option in the car's software that will tell you. If there are many Electrify America charging locations in the southwest places you're going, then I'd consider taking a CCS adapter if your car can use it. or I'd also consider taking a CHAdeMO adapter (but they are SLOW compared to superchargers).

You likely already know all this, considering your background and time on this forum, but I was just mentioning it anyway, especially just the website, since you didn't note it above.

Good luck on your trip.

- ÆCIII

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Not sure how it works but I would check www.plugshare.com's map to see what chargers are available in the areas you are going. They have all kinds of chargers including Tesla's.
Yeah, that's how I know so much about the problems.... :)

You didn't mention if your car was capable of CCS adapter capability.
Unfortunately , we're still "not on the list" for the CCS upgrade. :(

Also, forgot to add, there IS a Tesla to Tesla extension cable available, but it's $300 and adds even more bulk to carry around, so trying that TeslaTap approach first.

Would be nice if Tesla made a NACS adapter for the portable charger to extend them!

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, CT Res x2
Country flag
I suspect the J1772 to NEMA 14-50 has a built in resistor to mimic a car signaling "ready to charge" on the control pilot to ground circuit. That convinces the first EVSE to close it's contactors and energize as far as the 14-50 receptacle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

Therefore, be careful regarding water, shock, etc on that cord. As in, I would plug things in from the car toward the upstream EVSE, not the other way around.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Remember to tell your Tesla to downrate below the capability of the J1772, since it will assume the 50a plug can do 40a, and the j1772 equipment might be set much lower.

Otherwise you might trip the station and then you have no power...

-Crissa

Frank Mendez

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3, mkzh, f150
Occupation
sales
Country flag
Hey all... sorry , not specifically CT related but.....

Getting ready for our first big "Supercharger road trip" through the southwest national parks. For two of our stays, we'll be off the beaten path from superchargers, so I've collected a bunch of adapters to plug into level 2 chargers, outlets, etc.

Specifically, I'm worried about getting ICEd at the limited spots (or even just having an EV parked all night while not charging -- this has happened to me before).

So I've got a 50 foot NEMA 14-50 extension chord, and of course the NEMA 14-50 adapter for the Tesla portable charger. However, in the case where the Level2 is actually a J-1772 plug, I got a "J-1772 to Nema 14-50" converter, that will allow me to convert to 14-50, put the 50 foot extension cord on it, and then plug in the Tesla mobile charger. That's good for up to 90 feet away from the actually charger (assuming a 20 foot cable on the charger as well). Of course, might need to run that at reduced amps.

I also have the Teslatap "Tesla to J-1772" adapter on the way to handle being able to extend Tesla Destination chargers (one location is known to have an install problem where the charger is on the wrong side of the parking spot).

But then I realized that might not work, as I'd be pluigging a charger into a charger. Would the comms work? So I did a little test, and it did work. See picture below. That's my Clipper Creek J-1772 plugged into the Nema 14-50 converter, and then the Tesla charger plugged into that. The car charges no problem.

The question I have is..... HOW? How are both chargers getting through on comms to the car? I do note that as soon as I plug in the J-1772 to Nema 14-50, the Chargepoint charger shows active, even though the car isn't plugged in. Maybe it's the adapter doing that? And then only the mobile charger does the comms?

Thoughts?

Will do a similar test with the TeslaTap on the Tesla home charger when I get it.

ETA: Home charger is Clipper Creek, not Chargepoint!

IMG_4739.jpg
Not sure of your adaptors you listed but you may want to consider RV camp grounds. They have trailer hook-ups with 220 VAC plugs. I intend to buy all of the adaptors from Tesla for my next road trip for just this reason. We stayed at a KOA cabin and they had the plugs if I had had the adaptors.

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Not sure of your adaptors you listed but you may want to consider RV camp grounds. They have trailer hook-ups with 220 VAC plugs. I intend to buy all of the adaptors from Tesla for my next road trip for just this reason. We stayed at a KOA cabin and they had the plugs if I had had the adaptors.
thanks Frank. I have all the NEMA adapters as well. And yes, at least one of our hotels has RV camping, so that’s a fallback.

Thus why I just decided to “normalize “ (database terminology!) all adapter to 14-50 so I only need one extension cord.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
thanks Frank. I have all the NEMA adapters as well. And yes, at least one of our hotels has RV camping, so that’s a fallback.

Thus why I just decided to “normalize “ (database terminology!) all adapter to 14-50 so I only need one extension cord.
Tesla adapters tell the car what adapter they're using so it can auto-set the charge rate, remember that you'll be bypassing this.

-Crissa

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Confirmed that the TeslaTap mini (Tesla to J-1772) adapter also works with this strategy.

All charging edge case contingencies handled. As long as I can get within 90 feet of a charger, I can use it. :)

Tesla Cybertruck How can this work? (Rube Goldberg charging setup!) IMG_4770.JPG

Tesla Cybertruck How can this work? (Rube Goldberg charging setup!) IMG_4771.JPG

Tesla Cybertruck How can this work? (Rube Goldberg charging setup!) IMG_4772.JPG

Tesla Cybertruck How can this work? (Rube Goldberg charging setup!) IMG_4773.JPG
Sponsored