Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
It doesn't make a lot of sense for private industry to build big SC stations that will be idle 90% of the time. This might be some kind of public/private partnership. There will definitely be some growing pains out rural west when all these CT hit the road in 2024
Most of the time gas pumps are vacant.

ideally those companies who run convenience stores with gas pumps currently have plans to install EVSE to transition. You think that once EVs are common place they want their business to close? What is hampering adoption (IMO) is no common charging standard connector. If the DOE/DOT makes that happen more will appear.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Most of the time gas pumps are vacant.

ideally those companies who run convenience stores with gas pumps currently have plans to install EVSE to transition. You think that once EVs are common place they want their business to close? What is hampering adoption (IMO) is no common charging standard connector. If the DOE/DOT makes that happen more will appear.
I am not an EE, but the whole site needs to be designed for the highest load. Power factor?? Not a big deal with tanks.

Most people will not be using SC 80-90% of the time. It will be an interesting transition for the gas stations that rely on people snacking up while they fuel up.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I am not an EE,
That's not anything to be ashamed of. Millions of people who aren't EE's live happy, productive lives. [that's supposed to be a joke]

...but the whole site needs to be designed for the highest load.
Actually it doesn't and in fact isn't. I was just browsing one of the relevant standards recently (don't remember which) and the ability to share over a station so as to limit the whole station's total draw from the utility was specifically mentioned.

Power factor?? Not a big deal with tanks.
"Power factor" means a very specific thing to an electrical engineer (power delivered divided by the product of volts with amps) and I don't think it is what you have in mind here. I think you are saying that if you have 20 petrol pumps there is no reason all 20 cannot be simultanepusly delivering petrol at the maximum rate. That may well not be the case for a station with 20 DCFC terminals.

Most people will not be using SC 80-90% of the time. It will be an interesting transition for the gas stations that rely on people snacking up while they fuel up.
It's already underway. I've been to several fast chargers where the terminals are located at a "convenience store" with a dozen gas pumps and a half dozen charging terminals. There is a WaWa in Vienna, VA with SC terminals but no gas pumps. How long until the latter is more prevalent than the former?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
That's not anything to be ashamed of. Millions of people who aren't EE's live happy, productive lives. [that's supposed to be a joke]

Actually it doesn't and in fact isn't. I was just browsing one of the relevant standards recently (don't remember which) and the ability to share over a station so as to limit the whole station's total draw from the utility was specifically mentioned.

I should have been more specific. I am aware that many SC stations will reduce the available power to the individual stalls when the entire station is near capacity.

That is a little problem in itself. You plan for a 30 minute supercharge, but you end up waiting in line to plug in and then the charge takes another 15 minutes longer than expected because the station is maxed out.

I am actually planning an apartment complex with a parking garage. All electric, no gas. We are planning on EV charging, 28 total stalls with 2 dual port charging stations with capacity for another 1. So with 6 charging spots, I figure people will charge every 3 days (maybe on an assigned day) so up to 18 vehicles should be supported. I suppose more if tightly managed. Since parking is a premium the ICE vehicles will have assigned spots and the EV owners will have a dedicated area. If it is their day to charge they are in a charging stall if not they are in a EV pool parking stall.

This rotation kind of depends on someone getting their full charge on their day. The units I am looking at split the power between each port if 2 are charging at the same time. There will always be superchargers and work chargers to supplement.

As I type this I am actually thinking about only installing 1 to start with an option for a 2nd, I guess it depends on if we need to step up to the next size panel.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I would love it if more places had destination/level 2… with my Leaf, slow fills up in less than four hours most times.

I would have loved to have bought an electric bagger, but no one makes one for under $30k… at least that I have found.

And my CyberTruck will replace my Subaru for long distance and tow vehicle.

Petroleum was not ubiquitous for many decades and I remember people talking how hard it was to find diesel away from truck stops and marinas in my childhood. Chargers are already well on their way to becoming more common.

Parking facility for our airport (Not the airport facility, but one not far privately owned and operated) started with 25% covered parking and started putting up solar and more covered parking.

By the time the pandemic hit, they had 100% covered and solar panels on all covers. The owner had much less financial stress, which the attributed to the solar. Residual income, even a small amount, let them ride out the slow down of business.

Also no extra charge to have my Leaf parked there and was fully charged up when we got back, even in the winter.

Slow charging works for many businesses and use cases.

Just had a few meals with friends over the last few days of 1.5 to 2 hours of length 50 miles from our home. If the restaurant would have had charging, would have been doable with no inconvenience in the Leaf.
Sponsored