cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I live in Texas and have never had a glass roof vehicle. The sun is intense here and I wonder how hot an all glass roof will make the vehicle feel inside. It looks like the roof is heavily tinted based on the few images from above I've seen. I'm hoping this keeps the open air and cavernous feel inside the truck without causing major solar heating inside the cabin. In my current truck that has an amazing AC, the side with the sun on them is much warmer than the other while driving. I'm wondering how hot the entire truck will feel in August when it is 100F outside with the sun blazing down. Anyone with a glass roof car in the deep south have some experience they can share?
Sponsored

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
You can always tint the top with a mirrored tint so it reflects the heat.
you would not see it from the inside.

OP
OP

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I would think that the factory would make sure the roof is comfortable for the occupants and not require an aftermarket treatment. Does anyone on here have experience with a roof that is mostly glass and live in the southern half of USA?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The larger than normal windshield will also be letting heat into the cabin. I like the reflective tint suggestion for the inside of the glass roof.

Safety tests have also proven that Tesla’s glass roofs are durable, with the Model 3’s roof withstanding over 20,000 lbs of force during the NHTSA’s evaluation.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
From what I've read, the copper infused glass for the roof blocks a lot of solar radiation and are, in fact, generally cooler than a steel roof painted. But, I don't have a Tesla yet so I don't know first hand. (Ask me again in a month and I may have a better answer!)

LOL... talk about a throwback post... I don't know who resurrected this zombie thread but I'm going to add to my orignial post... 3 years later.

Our Model Y roof does NOT let in more heat than any other roof we've had. In fact, the driver's side window lets in more heat on trips. Like, it's very noticeable... I have never noticed heat from above. Yes, we are in Nebraska. Yes, we've seen triple digit temperatures. No, it's not the South. However, even after trips to visit family in Louisiana and Georgia in the Summer, it's still the same. Not much heat.

Now, we just put ceramic tint on all the windows (not the windshield) and that has eliminated the driver's door heat issue. However, it has causes another issue. My wife now notices the heat coming through the windshield and has started using a sun shield. (don't use the one that looks like an umbrella... She managed to chip the center screen protector).

So, after 3 years of a Model Y, I can tell you the first thing I'll probably do with my Cybertruck is to put ceramic tint all around... not very dark tint, but definitely ceramic for it's heat protection. Further, I MAY, have the front windshield tinted... My current truck has very light tint on the windshield and it really makes it easy for the AC to keep up.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Hot! 120 - 130 °F? Glass roofs are usually tinted so the main offender is the windshield in most cases. The Model X has been criticized for this. Their solution is a screen that you can attach inside to block the sun. Never use it as I have never found this to be a problem. If you fear it will be you can precondition the car (run the A/C remotely) from anywhere in the world or you can set the car to automatically keep temperature below some threshold. Don't remember whether that is fixed or adjustable.

Stratosurfer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Hybrid, Honda Pilot, 98 2500 Suburban 2500
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I live in Texas and have never had a glass roof vehicle. The sun is intense here and I wonder how hot an all glass roof will make the vehicle feel inside. It looks like the roof is heavily tinted based on the few images from above I've seen. I'm hoping this keeps the open air and cavernous feel inside the truck without causing major solar heating inside the cabin. In my current truck that has an amazing AC, the side with the sun on them is much warmer than the other while driving. I'm wondering how hot the entire truck will feel in August when it is 100F outside with the sun blazing down. Anyone with a glass roof car in the deep south have some experience they can share?
I have a CMAX with a Panoramic Moonroof here in San Angelo TX, it has a ‘curtain’ that closes to cover the glass from the inside on a button that does a good job at keeping the heat from entering the cab. Living in the Southern US a panoramic moonroof is really only usable in the fall winter and spring in terms of opening it during the day. It will really help folks in colder climates. And in hot climates you can open it at night to allow radiant heat to escape up through the glass.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
No personal experience, but I have a friend with a model 3 who I asked that specific question.

He says that overheating has not been an issue in the 36,000+ miles he has driven it across the US in all kinds of weather. He has read in various blogs that some people do complain of it. Just like with anything else there are variations in individual tolerance. If you're really tall it may be a bigger issue.

As tall as the Cybertruck is it made Jay Leno (5' 11") look small with that peaked roof. Doubt it will be a problem for a normal sized person or a runt like me.

Last edited:

Tyrane

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW GTI SE DSG, 2018 Mini Countryman S (Cybertruck Tri will replace)
Occupation
Technology
Country flag
you can always have ceramic tint with 90+ % heat reduction applied. even clear or very light coloring to block more UV and heat from interior. the glass will block many windshield mounted radar detectors

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Copied from the heated exoskeleton thread:

I am hoping Tesla has a good solar heating and UV infiltration solution for all that glass. It looks totally awesome but without adequate mitigation in the bright southern sun, the glass would definitely contribute significantly to interior heating.

I had a C5 Corvette coupe with both tops, and in Florida, the tinted "glass" top would seem to burn a hole in the top of your head. I only used it briefly before switching to the solid top.

In my DeLorean, the black interior was sweltering in the summer and the already marginal AC system would struggle to cool it down. I tinted the windows with a version that included ceramic (15%), even tinting the windshield with 80% (practically clear). That made a world of difference.

I suppose if the Tesla solution is not enough for where I live, I can always tint the glass on the CT with a thermal barrier like I described.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Some real data points:

Sunny day here in northern VA with air temperature pushing towards 80 °F. The interior temperature in an X parked in the sun zoomed up to 105 °F within about 30 min. Note that the X has a huge windshield but the Y appears to have more glass on top and so, from the Leno video, does the CT.

The current Tesla owner can leave his A/C on when leaving the car or set the auto temperature limit feature or enable Dog Mode if he wants to leave Fido in the car and is not afraid some busy body will break his windows or call the police.

A new feature has just appeared on the App labeled "Vent". Push it and it comes up with a warning that you will not be able to remotely close your windows after invoking it which implies that it opens them irreversibly. Whaaaa? In any case it does not work at the moment but looks as you will be able to do this at some time in the near future.

Capt_Roy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a Cybertruck (yet)
Country flag
Honestly, in the hot AZ sun (it was 107 deg F today), I'd do what I currently do with my SUV: put sunshade covers on the windshield + driver & passenger side windows, when I park at work. Potentially also add a "sunshade" to cover the moon-roof glass top. I've never owned any Teslas before. An option to have the A/C occasionally turn on to maintain a certain temperature would be awesome, assuming I can find an outlet to plug the car while it's park outside the office building.
Sponsored