Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
I don’t even share this kind of detail with friends let alone strangers on the web.

Consider for a moment, would you ask a stranger:
  • What is your total net worth?
  • What are your retirement accounts worth?
Your profile says you used to work as an LEO. This is the digital equivalent of opening your wallet and flashing hundred dollar bills in a bad neighborhood.

Not that this forum is a bad place… it’s just that the entire internet is an open book to bad people.
Eww creeping on my profile. I open my wallet to everyone hoping they put a few bucks in it.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I find it pretty ridiculous how much more time people spend thinking about taxes and saving a few bucks on their taxes than their retirement.
I agree. I spend almost zero time on taxes, I just photocopy the relevant tax documents and statements, and send to my tax accountant who then might ask me a question or two before telling me how much to pay and when. The less time spent on taxes, the more time I can spend on growing my brokerage account effectively.

It's a lot easier to invest well and make more money than I could possibly save by learning all the arcane loopholes and tricks to reduce my taxes a little bit.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I knew a law enforcement officer who put his ssn on his checks. I, a lowly pizza delivery driver, told him that was unsafe. He told me if he had his identity stolen, he'd know who to look for.

He didn't know who I was; while I knew his license, vins, address, phone numbers, and birthday. All he had about me was I sold him a pizza... but a different driver had been assigned it that night and I'd taken it because they hadn't gotten back from their run.

9-9

My net worth is pretty much public record. None of those other things are.

-Crissa
Back in the 80’s and 90’s some colleges would use your SSN as your student ID. The de facto payment method of the time was via check. Local businesses in the college community would ask you to write your student ID number on the checks. For a few years of my life, I had my SSN printed on my checks. Wow, all of the sudden I feel really old. Almost said something like “Ah, it was a simpler time”.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Back in the 80’s and 90’s some colleges would use your SSN as your student ID. The de facto payment method of the time was via check. Local businesses in the college community would ask you to write your student ID number on the checks. For a few years of my life, I had my SSN printed on my checks. Wow, all of the sudden I feel really old. Almost said something like “Ah, it was a simpler time”.
Yeah, back in the early 90s SSNs were splashed everywhere. Then people decided those same bits of information were the perfect digits for tracking and (bizarrely) securing access to your credit.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's a lot easier to invest well and make more money than I could possibly save by learning all the arcane loopholes and tricks to reduce my taxes a little bit.
I wouldn’t say I invest “well”, but the time I’ve spent on that has been vastly more profitable than worrying over taxes!

Absolute maximum return on tax savings is going to be a fraction of your earnings. Maximum return on savings is double or more your total earnings!

It’s also far more entertaining watching your money grow than it is fretting over shaving 2% - 5% off a tax bill.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I was working in Santa Clara when I saw my first Tesla....A red Model S and I looked inside an saw no console....wow....I said I would never buy that car....Than I heard that charging stations were going to and the stock my be a good investment.....that was 2013......I retired in 2014 and looked that the stock for an investment and a pass down to my son....was told by my brother-in-law to but it....wife said buy it....well I did in 2017...75 shares....fast forward to split time......6 to 1......I stopped buying and just sitting back waiting for the next split......then my son can early retire....best decision I ever made except for marrying my wife when a senior in college with no job, $750 in the bank....we have really been blessed....good luck to others.
Thinks… “Shit dad, why didn’t you do that for me?”

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thinks… “Shit dad, why didn’t you do that for me?”
got a great son and he has worked hard....great Father to 2 kids...never asked for anything....kids are on full ride academic scholarships at UCI nursing, and full ride academic/baseball scholarship at Occidental......both valedictorians.......besides, he'll get everything when his Mother and I are gone anyway....can't hurt to give him some yearly as the law allows....we are proud of him and his family

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
got a great son and he has worked hard....great Father to 2 kids...never asked for anything....kids are on full ride academic scholarships at UCI nursing, and full ride academic/baseball scholarship at Occidental......both valedictorians.......besides, he'll get everything when his Mother and I are gone anyway....can't hurt to give him some yearly as the law allows....we are proud of him and his family
That’s awesome.

I was kidding around my dad did prepare funds for us, just my mum is still living on them. Lol Which is fine of course!

TechOps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, ex-Model S
Country flag
How many shares of Tesla do you own and what are your future plans for the stock? (I don't know if that's too personal of a question.) My wife ands I are all in for the long run. She bought in before the split.

In Musk we Trust!
I'm all in for the long run too.

What's the point of this thread again?

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'll just say that I haven't bought any shares post-split and probably will wait until another split if I want more. The current price is a bit too much for me but if it splits another 5-1, I'll probably jump on a few. I began my TSLA holdings when my Solar City shares were converted to TSLA and added a few after that. I only dabble so I'm not a multi-millionaire like TSLA has made many.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I was working in Santa Clara when I saw my first Tesla....A red Model S and I looked inside an saw no console....wow....I said I would never buy that car....Than I heard that charging stations were going to and the stock my be a good investment.....that was 2013......I retired in 2014 and looked that the stock for an investment and a pass down to my son....was told by my brother-in-law to but it....wife said buy it....well I did in 2017...75 shares....fast forward to split time......6 to 1......I stopped buying and just sitting back waiting for the next split......then my son can early retire....best decision I ever made except for marrying my wife when a senior in college with no job, $750 in the bank....we have really been blessed....good luck to others.
The only TSLA split was 5:1, not 6:1.

Now is a good time to buy more, IMO. Tesla will be releasing 2021 financials in 8 days and these results are going to wake up the laggard analysts who have never shown any particular understanding of Tesla. That's why most analysts had a sell rating on TSLA when people should have buying as much as they could afford. By the time Summer rolls around I expect TSLA to be trading closer to $1600 than $1000. Brokerage analysts should be ignored. I wouldn't wait for a split, splits are essentially immaterial. If anything, the news of a split causes a run-up so you want to buy in before it's announced. Unless you don't like to see your money compounding through the years.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The only TSLA split was 5:1, not 6:1.

Now is a good time to buy more, IMO. Tesla will be releasing 2021 financials in 8 days and these results are going to wake up the laggard analysts who have never shown any particular understanding of Tesla. That's why most analysts had a sell rating on TSLA when people should have buying as much as they could afford. By the time Summer rolls around I expect TSLA to be trading closer to $1600 than $1000. Brokerage analysts should be ignored. I wouldn't wait for a split, splits are essentially immaterial. If anything, the news of a split causes a run-up so you want to buy in before it's announced. Unless you don't like to see your money compounding through the years.
yep...slip of the finger...getting older and cant type very well...or see