Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
Front wheel wells ? Maybe as they took %5 off overall size, they jad to squeeze the front foot wells between wheels.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hell I ordered a SIX seater. what is this 5 seat crap
Iā€™d say it is you reading the observations of people who looked at photographs taken at an acute angle, but not otherwise knowing what they are talking about, and taking it as fact.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The existence of a ā€œthirdā€ seat in the back seat just isnā€™t relevant. The Rivian also has a ā€œthirdā€ back seat, and hereā€™s what that looks like:

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats D3D202A5-8589-41C7-A4BC-3C32FCBBAB6F
Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 96F76F1F-03F2-4700-9A49-8AE799EE114B

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Iā€™m bummed too. Holding out hope thereā€™s an option for a 6th seat. It can be a skinny but seat. Most of us just want it for the occasional trip where you cram everyone in.
I want it for my dog but a console would be ok too.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Holding out hope thereā€™s an option for a 6th seat. It can be a skinny but seat.
I admire your optimism! Itā€™s a gentlemenā€™s quality.

Iā€™d say it is you reading the observations of people who looked at photographs taken at an acute angle, but not otherwise knowing what they are talking about, and taking it as fact.
Here, on the other hand, you are being too quick to dismiss what are reasonable inferences. No one is purporting to have had specs on a paper marked as ā€œofficialā€ handed to them by Elon himself. Weā€™re all here in the realm of (occasionally) reasoned sleuthing.

This notion that ā€˜nobody knows what theyā€™re taking aboutā€™ because the photo is at an ā€œacute angleā€ ignores that everything in the photo is taken at the same acute angle

Accordingly, the relative size of objects is roughly ascertainable. Looking again at this picture:

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 0D119CC1-30D4-484C-B1B0-F354B33608E0

For present purposes Iā€™ll ignore that I feel I have a pretty good sense for any reasonable dimensions of a steering wheel, rearview mirror, a so-tied bandana, the depth of a window armrest, etc. - all of which could be judged relative in size to that console.

Iā€™ll also ignore the plethora of front-on photos of the truckā€™s sculpted bucket seats (not common for 40/20/40 configurations) that appear to have no more than 10ā€ between them.

And instead Iā€™ll only point to what to me is a glaring indication of size of that center console:

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats F24E961A-4A64-4B26-AD69-608226BD8CCC

I assume, reasonably, that those are two cupholders. And I assume, reasonably, that Tesla proposes only usefully-sized cupholders. From there I can defer to my experience with the jumpseat in any 40/20/40 configured seating in a full-sized pickup, across makes:

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 773F8F8D-6E5F-4943-87F0-8CBCBB2F9E41
Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 46F6495D-8E17-4249-95AE-B3C28AF03367
Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 198C158F-4006-45EF-8AE1-4CE662BE681F
Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 9B7E3A29-2E52-4985-BC62-4D49E0811BA1

And at some point I form a reasonable inference about the CT cupholders relative to the size of the overall CT console: if betting, Iā€™d bet a good amount against it being wide enough to suggest a 40/20/40 configuration.

Iā€™d then additionally:

ā€¢ remember that full sized trucks that do have 40/20/40 seats do not tend to have competitively sizable/comfortable driverā€™s/passengerā€™s seats, much less bucket seats (and while Tesla does have remarkably lithe seats, the CT shown has nonetheless plush looking bucket seats)

ā€¢ note that all the above inferences also square with what a Tesla rep stationed to monitor and socialize the truck told multiple attendees (which if he shared unauthorized and unscripted info makes both him an idiot for talking despite his NDAs, and Tesla an idiot for choosing him for that position - which altogether seems too surprising to believe easily)

ā€¢ [and, admittedly, be forced to still secretly give some credence to my similar estimations of the relative size of the steering wheel, bandana, etc.]

ā€¦ to an altogether seemingly reasonable inference that this console appears unlikely to be a jumpseat, or to have the footprint necessary to substitute in a jumpseat (much less between two bucket seats)

I wouldnā€™t bet my firstbornā€™s life on it, but I would think it defensible enough for purposes of an online forum about an automobile.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
How wide do you think those seats are? If the width of the entire truck is 80"...

-Crissa
surprisingly wide. Look like a cobraā€™s hood

so wide that, if anything, a six-seater option would be achieved - if at all - by subbing out the entire front row for a bench seat with 40/20/40

that, or the truck is surprisingly narrow, making modestly-sized seats appear gargantuan - but thatā€™s an unlikely take only for argumentā€™s sake

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
How wide do you think those seats are? If the width of the entire truck is 80"...

-Crissa
No idea, I am just eyeballing the amount of space between the seats at the lowest visible part of the seat. Knowing that the main seats are bucket like, it would make a flip up weird. (not impossible tho)

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ml350
Occupation
Data Scientist
Country flag
I admire your optimism! Itā€™s a gentlemenā€™s quality.

Here, on the other hand, you are being too quick to dismiss what are reasonable inferences. No one is purporting to have had specs on a paper marked as ā€œofficialā€ handed to them by Elon himself. Weā€™re all here in the realm of (occasionally) reasoned sleuthing.

This notion that ā€˜nobody knows what theyā€™re taking aboutā€™ because the photo is at an ā€œacute angleā€ ignores that everything in the photo is taken at the same acute angle

Accordingly, the relative size of objects is roughly ascertainable. Looking again at this picture:

0D119CC1-30D4-484C-B1B0-F354B33608E0.jpeg

For present purposes Iā€™ll ignore that I feel I have a pretty good sense for any reasonable dimensions of a steering wheel, rearview mirror, a so-tied bandana, the depth of a window armrest, etc. - all of which could be judged relative in size to that console.

Iā€™ll also ignore the plethora of front-on photos of the truckā€™s sculpted bucket seats (not common for 40/20/40 configurations) that appear to have no more than 10ā€ between them.

And instead Iā€™ll only point to what to me is a glaring indication of size of that center console:

F24E961A-4A64-4B26-AD69-608226BD8CCC.jpeg

I assume, reasonably, that those are two cupholders. And I assume, reasonably, that Tesla proposes only usefully-sized cupholders. From there I can defer to my experience with the jumpseat in any 40/20/40 configured seating in a full-sized pickup, across makes:

773F8F8D-6E5F-4943-87F0-8CBCBB2F9E41.jpeg
46F6495D-8E17-4249-95AE-B3C28AF03367.jpeg
198C158F-4006-45EF-8AE1-4CE662BE681F.jpeg
9B7E3A29-2E52-4985-BC62-4D49E0811BA1.jpeg

And at some point I form a reasonable inference about the CT cupholders relative to the size of the overall CT console: if betting, Iā€™d bet a good amount against it being wide enough to suggest a 40/20/40 configuration.

Iā€™d then additionally:

ā€¢ remember that full sized trucks that do have 40/20/40 seats do not tend to have competitively sizable/comfortable driverā€™s/passengerā€™s seats, much less bucket seats (and while Tesla does have remarkably lithe seats, the CT shown has nonetheless plush looking bucket seats)

ā€¢ note that all the above inferences also square with what a Tesla rep stationed to monitor and socialize the truck told multiple attendees (which if he shared unauthorized and unscripted info makes both him an idiot for talking despite his NDAs, and Tesla an idiot for choosing him for that position - which altogether seems too surprising to believe easily)

ā€¢ [and, admittedly, be forced to still secretly give some credence to my similar estimations of the relative size of the steering wheel, bandana, etc.]

ā€¦ to an altogether seemingly reasonable inference that this console appears unlikely to be a jumpseat, or to have the footprint necessary to substitute in a jumpseat (much less between two bucket seats)

I wouldnā€™t bet my firstbornā€™s life on it, but I would think it defensible enough for purposes of an online forum about an automobile.
I agree with your analysis. Itā€™s unfortunate that they appear to have moved away from having the interior space of a full size truck.

I am unsure if this is the result of unique engineering considerations for the cybertruck (i.e. same standard ~80 inch width as a full size truck, but a thicker door/b-pillar due to the exoskeleton design), or listening too closely to the Tesla community who wanted a smaller truck, or possibly some other reason (Elon mentioned Boring Tunnel size constraints).

They may lose out on the opportunity to tap into the much larger full size truck market segment as a result. Those buyers likely expect spacious interiors. The original prototype had a wide center console that could flip up to function as a jumpseat. This wide jumpseat/center console is shown in the first two pictures below:

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats E1F7EFA4-26EB-44A0-A7ED-20294DA31D49

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 007EF4DA-A3E1-4F89-9B58-7676CB418418

The latest version on display has a visibly smaller center console, aligning more with a midsize truck.

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 5850DC64-AB5F-47BE-B2A7-10D659DC2A52

The prototype/alpha/beta have evolved a great deal over the last few years. I hope the final version will have a full size interior and six seats as advertised on the website as this could be a missed opportunity for such a special truck.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
If it doesn't travel in the raised position.... Why is is tapered at the front bottom? If no person can sit there why is the wall protecting the pedals not a solid storage console under the dash?
The only source for the 5 seat is someone who guards the truck said so to someone on Twitter. I heard this reported by @greggertruck maybe he knows who actually posted that info on Twitter. Do we know if they were actually there at giga Texas?
But it would be very much like Tesla to not add something that they think will not be used much. And six seats will not be used much in a truck.

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 1677694759411.jpe

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
No one has 'Final Ordered' nor configured anything yet.

The Pre-Order (Reservation) is simply a tentative agreement to purchase giving you a place in line, but you may want to review the actual Pre-Order agreement sent to you by TESLA when you made your CT reservation. The first statements in the document explain that actual configuration is to be confirmed at a later date:
1677790456087.png

But these recent Ɵeta Cybertruck versions seen may not yet be the final Production Versions, even though they're probably close. There could be some options (including front seat layout) that many of us still do not know about.

- ƆCIII
You might as well just post this on every thread in this forum.

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
I agree with your analysis. Itā€™s unfortunate that they appear to have moved away from having the interior space of a full size truck.

I am unsure if this is the result of unique engineering considerations for the cybertruck (i.e. same standard ~80 inch width as a full size truck, but a thicker door/b-pillar due to the exoskeleton design), or listening too closely to the Tesla community who wanted a smaller truck, or possibly some other reason (Elon mentioned Boring Tunnel size constraints).

They may lose out on the opportunity to tap into the much larger full size truck market segment as a result. Those buyers likely expect spacious interiors. The original prototype had a wide center console that could flip up to function as a jumpseat. This wide jumpseat/center console is shown in the first two pictures below:

E1F7EFA4-26EB-44A0-A7ED-20294DA31D49.png

007EF4DA-A3E1-4F89-9B58-7676CB418418.png

The latest version on display has a visibly smaller center console, aligning more with a midsize truck.

5850DC64-AB5F-47BE-B2A7-10D659DC2A52.jpeg

The prototype/alpha/beta have evolved a great deal over the last few years. I hope the final version will have a full size interior and six seats as advertised on the website as this could be a missed opportunity for such a special truck.
I agree with you on the size but I saw this thing in person during last years shareholder meeting in Aug and it was massive. like massive that when you see it in person it shocks you from how big it is. this was also the original prototype with handles that I saw. so I hope that 5% decrease does take away from that massive look but I can't see 5% being that big of a noticeable difference.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
If it doesn't travel in the raised position.... Why is is tapered at the front bottom? If no person can sit there why is the wall protecting the pedals not a solid storage console under the dash?
The only source for the 5 seat is someone who guards the truck said so to someone on Twitter. I heard this reported by @greggertruck maybe he knows who actually posted that info on Twitter. Do we know if they were actually there at giga Texas?
But it would be very much like Tesla to not add something that they think will not be used much. And six seats will not be used much in a truck.

1677694759411.jpeg.jpg
My source was there, he will be sharing dimensions soon too.
Sponsored