IDRA 9000 Ton Aluminum Press material concerns with Cybertruck Stainless Steel Material

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I don’t see how you could imagine that a car manufacturer (especially an electric car manufacturer) could possibly not consider galvanic corrosion. My biggest concern with some of the direction I see Tesla going is their née love for adhesives in lieu of mechanical fasteners. I get that adhesive technology has come a long way but in my opinion adhesives are less reliable than mechanical or welded connections. The new structural battery pack glued together is a concern and I am fairly certain that Tesla’s solution to adhering the stainless shell to steel body is likely through structural adhesives, which would probably mitigate the galvanic corrosion. That’s just my guess.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don’t see how you could imagine that a car manufacturer (especially an electric car manufacturer) could possibly not consider galvanic corrosion. My biggest concern with some of the direction I see Tesla going is their née love for adhesives in lieu of mechanical fasteners. I get that adhesive technology has come a long way but in my opinion adhesives are less reliable than mechanical or welded connections. The new structural battery pack glued together is a concern and I am fairly certain that Tesla’s solution to adhering the stainless shell to steel body is likely through structural adhesives, which would probably mitigate the galvanic corrosion. That’s just my guess.
The cells inside the structural battery pack are basically getting encased in carbonite and should be fine. It's not so much adhesive as being turned into a plastic/ cell composite.

I am a bit concerned about using adhesives to attach the body to the front and and the structural pack. Not much we can do about that.

Tesla Cybertruck IDRA 9000 Ton Aluminum Press material concerns with Cybertruck Stainless Steel Material iu-2

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Also, Tesla already mixes metals. They use the right metal for the right time. And they weld aluminum all the time.

The aluminum in this case will be the creamy rock center of the stainless shelled construct. It being softer, lighter, is actually a benefit in this situation. It will have all the annoying flanges to mount the electronic drive train to, dealing with compressive forces while the steel deals with the flexion forces. The two together will be stronger than using one or the other.

-Crissa

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Tesla already has experience with mixed aluminum and steel, and has for all their existence. The Model S and X bodies are mostly aluminum with some steel structural members. The Model 3 and Y bodies are mixed steel and aluminum. I'm sure they know what they are doing after 8 years of making cars for the mass market.

I do remember reading a few cases in some early Model S where a component in the side mirrors was not isolated or coated correctly. This resulted in corrosion in the aluminum part that would cause staining on the side mirror components. Haven't read about any of those since before the Model 3 came out, so they probably addressed the issue.

I trust Tesla (and SpaceX, since some of their work is used too) engineers to have considered and planned for the mixing of the different materials. It does not mean that they won't make any mistakes in planning or manufacturing, but I'm sure any issues would show up before the warranty expires and they will address them.

Last edited:

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last I checked, when the end of the quarter comes around Tesla doesn't like having cars sitting in the factory waiting for parts. Lots of corners get cut.

If the clamp assembly to hold that down wasn't in stock and you have 50 cars which are ready save that one piece, you can bet at some point in time either the manager or the engineer in charge was told "Just get it out the door". Things can look like hell but still do their job.

People talk about not wanting the early cars off the assembly line. I don't want the ones which roll off the assembly line on the last days of the quarter.
Or Friday afternoon.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
All vehicle manufacturers use adhesives so your concern is entirely unfounded. As for the corrosion, their engineers are not dummies and I'd bet my scrotum they've solved it.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The marine industry has been dealing with galvanic issues between aluminum and stainless for years. Obviously the type, finish, and grade of aluminum and stainless are all important. This is a photo of an anodized extruded aluminum boat rail fastened and has direct contact with 316 ss bolts on my sailboat with no signs of corrosion, even after 41 years. I am confident Tesla has given thought to the issue.
Tesla Cybertruck IDRA 9000 Ton Aluminum Press material concerns with Cybertruck Stainless Steel Material F5EA9696-DCC3-462D-9520-C337CE8CDAB2

Last edited:

Chilli

First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Mii electric+, Renault Trafic Passenger &more
Country flag
Thats a good Certified ISO facility would work.
That's a good point.
Honestly, based on the results ai doubt that US plants do have IATF16949 certificate.
But I could imagine that Shanghai has.

Chilli

First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Mii electric+, Renault Trafic Passenger &more
Country flag
I am confident Tesla has given thought to the issue.
For sure they had a plan in advance. But there is also a reason why the design phase took one year longer than expected. Fails at design validation would be a very likely root cause. What exactly failed can only be speculated. But it would be insane if they don't do a salt environment test for this new composition during DV.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I think this video may answer a lot of question….other than all the stupid negative putting people out of work comments. Some how this guy ignores the over 10,000 new jobs being created. Obviously the commentator missed reading about Henry Ford in history class.

Sponsored

Last edited: