If you could request three factory add-ons, what would they be?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think Crissa is saying is that the magnets I had suggested taking on and off the roof would attract iron dust and grind it into the roof. I agree with you that the “subdermal“ steel or iron would not be affected. So the trick would be to clean the base of the magnets right before attaching them to the roof, kind of like cleaning my shoes before walking inside.
Exactly. Also, you're driving around where other vehicles (and your own) are stirring up and shedding magnetic and ferric particles...

I would love this feature but I have seen stainless ground with iron filings and it is not pretty.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I think Crissa is saying is that the magnets I had suggested taking on and off the roof would attract iron dust and grind it into the roof. I agree with you that the “subdermal“ steel or iron would not be affected. So the trick would be to clean the base of the magnets right before attaching them to the roof, kind of like cleaning my shoes before walking inside.
Her point was not lost on me. I understood what she was writing. That is why I elaborated. But the stainless steel proposed by Tesla would not be affected by rust. Not even as a polish. I use compressed air to blow the steel filings and dirt from my welding magnets. But, even a dry cloth, like the denim in a pair of pants, would be effective.
My initial intention was to show my approval of your ideas. I thought they were great. I offered my experience to enhance your tie-down idea. I have read through this thread again (just to make certain) and it just feels unnecessarily contrary. For the record, Stainless steel does have nickel included in the metallurgy, but it is not a coating like chrome plating. The Stainless steel is an alloy that has the benefit of being highly corrosion resistant with a side effect of rendering it non-magnetic. The nickel will never, ever, rub off. Rust may stain it like clay will, but it will never abrade it, because the Iron Oxide is softer on the hardness scale than stainless.
I just want you to understand that I think your ideas were excellent. So much so, that when I do get my Cyber truck, I will experiment with neodymium magnets, mild steel, and adhesives to make it real. As for the refrigerated frunk, I don't think that would be out of the realm of DIY either. I agree that a separate zone managed by the heat pump would be much more "Tesla", but gently modifying the back of the plastic trim of the frunk (assumption) with some black trash bags filled with expanding foam insulation and a couple of well placed solid state peltier effect coolers, would give you an excellent cooler with nothing too toxic to play with. Regarding the fully reclining front seats, that would be a modification that I would be nervous messing with.

Deleted member 3316

Love option 2. I'm not a fan of the minimalist styling.
This again…..??‍♂ It’s about as necessary as a V8 rumble… just nostalgia.

What information do you need? Are you driving so irresponsibly that you need fighter pilot reaction to vehicle information?
Hang on, sorry, what information do you need in that situation?

Deleted member 3316

Exactly. Also, you're driving around where other vehicles (and your own) are stirring up and shedding magnetic and ferric particles...

I would love this feature but I have seen stainless ground with iron filings and it is not pretty.

-Crissa
I hope they do testing for this in the Pilbara, the whole place is basically iron oxide.

The mining industry is going to switch over pretty quickly if supply can keep up. Some mining operations have converted 79 series land cruisers with significant cost and poor specs.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They make suction cups with much more reliable holding power than magnets regardless. That’s what they use to attach GoPros on racing rigs. I used them for bikes for a long time.

If it can hold a camera to the roof of a rally car for 4 hours whatever you plan to attach is a piece of cake.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think I missed some detail

What are we attaching with magnets or suction cups ?

Are we talking about attaching roof racks or canopy ? Or items like cameras or little Hula dolls ?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Are we talking about attaching roof racks or canopy ? Or items like cameras or little Hula dolls ?
I’m not quite sure… but I know I’d trust a suction cup to attach pretty much anything before a magnet. Those things are beasts. Plus no modifications to the vehicle.

I’ve had these guys (on the roof) speed tested over 100MPH with a bike. With the flat sides of the Cybertruck they will be perfect.

Tesla Cybertruck If you could request three factory add-ons, what would they be? 1646435539131

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Totally new to me !!! Suction cups can hold those bikes ?

I guess, there's hardly any wind resistance with a bike. Yet, I'm still not comfortable with suction cups.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This again…..??‍♂ It’s about as necessary as a V8 rumble… just nostalgia.
I hear V8 rumble all the time, it makes me smile and sometimes even laugh.

Usually it’s when I’m passing Bubba on the highway and his testosterone balance gets a little out of whack and he tries to accelerate to prevent me from passing him. I hear the roar of that big V8… fading into the distance behind me.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Totally new to me !!! Suction cups can hold those bikes ?

I guess, there's hardly any wind resistance with a bike. Yet, I'm still not comfortable with suction cups.
They can hold a lot of weight. There is a shot where this guy has his bike mounted on the back of the car and he’s sitting on it.

Deleted member 3316

They can hold a lot of weight. There is a shot where this guy has his bike mounted on the back of the car and he’s sitting on it.
Part of the advantage of suction cups is the holding pressure increases with outward force. Magnets get weaker.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I hear V8 rumble all the time, it makes me smile and sometimes even laugh.

Usually it’s when I’m passing Bubba on the highway and his testosterone balance gets a little out of whack and he tries to accelerate to prevent me from passing him. I hear the roar of that big V8… fading into the distance behind me.
I have been told the sound of my Zero passing someone is pretty cool.

Nneeyoom!

-Crissa

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag

We were discussing tarps and ropes. Not racks or go-pros.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
We were discussing tarps and ropes. Not racks or go-pros.
There are L-Track rails on both sides about 20” off the bed floor which are way way better than any magnetic setup. They are built for exactly that sort of use and massively better than any kind of magnet.

Tesla Cybertruck If you could request three factory add-ons, what would they be? 1646460961185

Tesla Cybertruck If you could request three factory add-ons, what would they be? 1646461191788

Those things can hold 1200 pounds each. I would never trust any load exposed to wind or any kind of heavy load to magnets. Magnets just don’t do well at all with any kind of lateral load.

Heck… I’d do the suction cups for that way before magnets as well. MUUCH better sticking power.

Last edited: