If you have the cash, should you buy or lease?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I ordered the day after the reveal. I guess I'm taking a risk...
Meh... our Model Y was one of the first 15,000 built. We haven't had any issues other than the little paint issue that was basically nothing. Glad we got it when we did. I'm sure the CT will have even better build quality. (and no paint!)
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It depends on the lease and the time frame you're looking at.

If you need a reliable vehicle now, then the long term 'can it be paid off' is of less importance.

So there will always be a sweet spot of use that a lease makes sense for. But if you're going to hold onto a vehicle ten years, or be high mileage, or whatever, buying is better.

-Crissa

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clyde-a-scope

Clyde-a-scope

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti Q50 S Hybrid, Toyota Tundra, (coming soon) Cyber truck dual motor
Country flag
It depends on the pease and the time frame you're looking at.

If you need a reliable vehicle now, then the long term 'can it be paid off' is of less importance.

So there will always be a sweet spot of use that a lease makes sense for. But if you're going to hold onto a vehicle ten years, or be high mileage, or whatever, buying is better.

-Crissa

True.
I can definitely wait. I'm in no hurry. All my vehicles are in working order. I feel sorry for anyone if they need a reliable vehicle now and are waiting for the CT. They may be waiting awhile...

Donworth

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Twin motor
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
I'm in a good spot to purchase the dual motor CT outright. But knowing all the issues the model 3 and the model y had, would it be smart to purchase the CT or lease it and wait a few years for all the issues to get resolved? It seems almost a waste of money to lease it for a few years then purchase the same vehicle anyways. Right?
Hi there. From what I understand Tesla is very good at taking care of any issues that come up. Weather you purchase or lease you would still have to go to the trouble of getting it fixed. So I guess what I'm saying is O would buy.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Hi there. From what I understand Tesla is very good at taking care of any issues that come up. Weather you purchase or lease you would still have to go to the trouble of getting it fixed. So I guess what I'm saying is O would buy.
It depends on what is being changed. For example, apparently the seats in the model 3 has changed, the gap between the trunk and the rear window was made bigger, they are making the frunk a bit smaller which could mean they are adding a heat pump for better cold weather range.

These are things that aren't going to be changed on any vehicles that people already own, it's just for new vehicles that are purchased. Waiting to see if there are any issues like this on the Cybertruck would probably be the only reason to lease instead of buy. I'll be buying my Cybertruck for sure, I have confidence that this will be an amazing Vehicle.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Bearing that in mind I’m guessing us right hand drive users could be in for a long wait.
Have you considered getting left-hand drive and shipping? FSD doesn’t care where you sit. ?

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why would he do that? FSD won’t come with the CT.

TerryMack

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is a great forum! Everyone has provided good input! I wanted to see other folks reasoning and opinions on purchasing Vs leasing when it comes to a brand new production vehicle. Specifically when it comes to Tesla's manufacturing issues. I've also never leased a vehicle. I've always paid cash. I have the cash in full to buy the dual motor CT. I'm in a good financial position to purchase it. I can afford it without forcing my family to eat ramen for the next 5 years (they'll eat Cheerios w/water instead haha). At first I didn't understand why someone would lease the CT (or any vehicle) if they had the cash. After reading through everyone's responses, I agree it's a poor financial decision to lease if you have the capital in hand. I guess if I wanted I could open an LLC and get a tax write off. I don't believe that's a requirement at this time.

I have read folks that bought Tesla stock and purchased a model 3 through the growth. It might be too late to purchase stock now. (That's probably another thread)

I love the responses! I'm learning allot. Keep them coming!
What is wrong with purchasing Tesla stock? On 9/1/2020 the stock would have split ( 5/1) (For every share you get 4 more, then the share price is lowered by a factor of 5) and then anyone could afford to buy it! That is happening next Monday!

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Here now, UK will be a smaller model and in a few years according to Elon.
It's very likely that the Cybertruck will be in the UK and in the not so distant future. However that isn't for sure and there is no timeline set. Pick up trucks are loved in North America, but as far as I know, that isn't as true when it comes to Europe. While they didn't care what people in North America thought, they just wanted to build the Cybertruck, they might actually try to figure out how popular the design is in Europe before they think about production. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would want one but there has to be enough demand before they start making them at the factories or build an entirely new factory. Given that the process to make the Cybertruck and bend the metal is entirely different than any other Tesla, they would need to at least purchase a lot of equipment for any factory to start production.

OP
OP
Clyde-a-scope

Clyde-a-scope

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti Q50 S Hybrid, Toyota Tundra, (coming soon) Cyber truck dual motor
Country flag
What is wrong with purchasing Tesla stock? On 9/1/2020 the stock would have split ( 5/1) (For every share you get 4 more, then the share price is lowered by a factor of 5) and then anyone could afford to buy it! That is happening next Monday!
Nothing is wrong with purchasing it! I got some! I just wish I bought it a few months ago...

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag