Would you still buy the Cybertruck if it goes up in price by $10K?

Assumption: Cybertruck isn't the 3/Y price it had at reveal. The P model is $79K, the S is $59K

• Total voters

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
I reserved based on 2 major features: 3mm stainless skin, and 500-mile range. If those features aren't present in the tri-motor then I would have to rethink the Silverado option. That said, Elon has had a policy of under promising and over delivering with every vehicle and I do not expect him to fail with the Cybertruck. My best guess is that if he cannot deliver a 500-mile tri/quad Cybertruck he will not begin with that trim. But if he cannot deliver 500 miles when Silverado 'can' then he has a much bigger problem on his hands than my reservation. He would be the fool of the century.
I too was attracted to the promise of 500 miles of range, but we have to "weight" and see.

That Silverado will have one heavy battery (aka a huge battery) to get that range they are promising. I don't know if Elon wants to go with such a big, heavy battery.

While I wait for my Cybertruck to appear, I am driving a 2023 Ford Lightning with a promised range of 320 miles. Quite frankly, that has turned out to be sufficient range 95% of the time. 400+ miles, without adding an additional 800-900 pounds of battery, would be very welcome though. 500 miles would be amazing.

Again, we have to "weight" and see.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I too was attracted to the promise of 500 miles of range, but we have to "weight" and see.

That Silverado will have one heavy battery (aka a huge battery) to get that range they are promising. I don't know if Elon wants to go with such a big, heavy battery.

While I wait for my Cybertruck to appear, I am driving a 2023 Ford Lightning with a promised range of 320 miles. Quite frankly, that has turned out to be sufficient range 95% of the time. 400+ miles, without adding an additional 800-900 pounds of battery, would be very welcome though. 500 miles would be amazing.

Again, we have to "weight" and see.
The 'out of spec reviews' review of the Silverado Work Truck showed that it does get the quoted range and does reasonably well with towing. Like I said, if GM/Chevy can do it, and Elon promised us 500+ miles, then he/Tesla look extremely bad as leaders in the industry if they do not (which will be interpreted by all as 'cannot'). It is not about what 'you' need. It is about what a truck should be able to do and what Tesla promised.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The 'out of spec reviews' review of the Silverado Work Truck showed that it does get the quoted range and does reasonably well with towing. Like I said, if GM/Chevy can do it, and Elon promised us 500+ miles, then he/Tesla look extremely bad as leaders in the industry if they do not (which will be interpreted by all as 'cannot'). It is not about what 'you' need. It is about what a truck should be able to do and what Tesla promised.
Did Kyle say how much the Silverado WT weighs?

The Ford Lightning Work Pro weighs ~6200lbs.

I thought I heard the Silverado EV WT weighs 8200lbs. 2000 more lbs!

What is the price of this stripper version? $80,000?
I wonder what their premium versions will retail for?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Gee, how many people that can afford to buy an $80K truck would qualify for the IRA rebate to begin with. I am retired and my wife is still working and we do not qualify. Financing alone on $80K plus taxes and registration and insurance would be well over $1,000 a month.
How many can afford an $80k truck at all? Not many. This is what I’ve been saying for a long time.

In any case, my post was referring to myself. I can afford the truck and I qualify for the incentive.

I think in the long run most Cybertrucks will sell for $50k - $60k as the appeal of the new shiny thing wears off and buyers shift more towards utility.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Did Kyle say how much the Silverado WT weighs?

The Ford Lightning Work Pro weighs ~6200lbs.

I thought I heard the Silverado EV WT weighs 8200lbs. 2000 more lbs!

What is the price of this stripper version? $80,000?
I wonder what their premium versions will retail for?
Can you tell me why weight is a concern if it gets the range? I am sure that the Cybertruck batteries will weigh less than anything GM/Chevy, Ford, or almost anyone else can come up with, that Tesla’s vertical integration will result in a much more efficient drivetrain, that Tesla’s motors are [much] better than GMs, and that the Cybertruck drag coefficient will be lower. So the Cybertruck will weigh less, be more efficient, will perform better, and have a better drag coefficient.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Gee, how many people that can afford to buy an $80K truck would qualify for the IRA rebate to begin with. I am retired and my wife is still working and we do not qualify. Financing alone on $80K plus taxes and registration and insurance would be well over $1,000 a month.
Divorce and you will qualify.

my personal dilemma. Since I pulled the trigger on another interim vehicle, the CT shifts more into a want versus need category for me. Since I am enjoying the interim vehicle, I have decided to keep both while wife refuses to drive the Y.

CHC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Model X
Country flag
A better question would be: Would you still buy the CT if the price went up 20-30k? (entirely possible). I think more people than not would say yes.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A better question would be: Would you still buy the CT if the price went up 20-30k? (entirely possible). I think more people than not would say yes.
Also possible, Cybertruck sells for $1m.

Since we’re tossing out numbers with no basis. $1m has the merit of actually being based on something Musk actually said.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Whoa, well, not sure someone in the top 2% needs a tax credit ^-^;

-Crissa

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
IMO if Tesla releases it with a price of $79,900 and a range over 375 miles of range, IMO there were enough Tri-Motor reservation holders to snap up the first 2 years of production (2024 and 2025) despite the lower range, and higher price.
No effing way. Not paying more for less.

Not a snowballs chance inhell.

If either of those are the case I'll have zero regrets with ICE ICE Baby.

Then I will change my profile photo to this and leave this forum until something worthwhile is in production.

Tesla Cybertruck Would you still buy the Cybertruck if it goes up in price by $10K? Screenshot_20230713-163427

Last edited:

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I reserved a Tri-Motor, at the then advertised price of $69,900.

I would pay $89,900 for a 2024 Tri-Motor, if it had the specs as promised (500 miles of range).

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We've had this argument a dozen times. Raising the price by $10K is only 14% for the Tri Motor, but it's 20% for the Dual. 3/Y prices are back to what they were when the Cybertruck was released.

Performance would be the 500 mile range version, Standard would be the 300 mile one.

So... Let's put our votes where our mouths are. That's the real test. And remember, that we're clearly more interested in this than more than 90% of reservation holders.

And for the record, I think this is dumb. A big jump in prices while their other cars are down? Really?

-Crissa
You are absolutely right. Then I see a picture and all I want to do is run a pair of fans in front of the headlights so I watch them crinkle up for an hour or so. Love ain’t logica And it won’t be ignored. (sigh) …
Sponsored