Would you still buy the Cybertruck if it goes up in price by $10K?

Assumption: Cybertruck isn't the 3/Y price it had at reveal. The P model is $79K, the S is $59K

• Total voters

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Iā€™d guess Tesla better with a market research focus group vs. the sentiment from this board as Iā€™d guess we (mostly enthusiasts) not the best statistical sample

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
We've had this argument a dozen times. Raising the price by $10K is only 14% for the Tri Motor, but it's 20% for the Dual. 3/Y prices are back to what they were when the Cybertruck was released.

Performance would be the 500 mile range version, Standard would be the 300 mile one.

So... Let's put our votes where our mouths are. That's the real test. And remember, that we're clearly more interested in this than more than 90% of reservation holders.

And for the record, I think this is dumb. A big jump in prices while their other cars are down? Really?

-Crissa
I am guessing that you labeled the 500-mile range as ā€˜performanceā€™ to capture with/both the tri and quad variants? At 10% increase I would still buy as long as they donā€™t have any reduction in range (or other battery/charging specs).

AZCYBER

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model S
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Our ideal CT is dual motor and 500 miles range. The western/mountain states are vast. 300 miles doesn't cut it. Unless of course there is a DCFC within 75 miles in every direction.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Our ideal CT is dual motor and 500 miles range. The western/mountain states are vast. 300 miles doesn't cut it. Unless of course there is a DCFC within 75 miles in every direction.
Tesla won't be doing this. If they make a big pack, they'll throw in the extra motors, either way the price will be the same. Bigger battery can handle bigger loads, so why not build it to be able to tow more.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
We've had this argument a dozen times. Raising the price by $10K is only 14% for the Tri Motor, but it's 20% for the Dual. 3/Y prices are back to what they were when the Cybertruck was released.

Performance would be the 500 mile range version, Standard would be the 300 mile one.

So... Let's put our votes where our mouths are. That's the real test. And remember, that we're clearly more interested in this than more than 90% of reservation holders.

And for the record, I think this is dumb. A big jump in prices while their other cars are down? Really?

-Crissa
Itā€™s complicated.

If the price goes up $10k, it is effectively only a $2,500 increase for me due to the IRA rebates.

Aside from that, personal finances are weird. If things improve I will get the truck for up to $79k (73k after IRA). If they do not, I will get the lower range option or wait.

I voted for the performance because Iā€™m an optimist today.

ƆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I thought the prices for the various Cybertruck trims were actually a little bit low during the first reveal, considering how advanced the CT is and what one gets.

So much has changed and so much time has passed, that I'd have to see the details of the newer CT at the next reveal before I could have any opinion about pricing - because even though the CT still looks similar today it is an entirely different truck in many ways.

The model 3/Y prices flattening or becoming a little cheaper relatively, is not surprising to me at all because Tesla had always intended to scale them with a huge long ramp that is actually still in progress today, and they've been able to improve methods to reduce manufacturing costs for various parts over time.

The Cybertruck is not yet in production let alone even having a chance to scale yet. So not an apples to apples comparison for pricing yet by any means.

- ƆCIII

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I just see 500 miles at or under 80k to be really unrealistic. The back log would be tremendous. But That's what Tesla wants, tremendous demand.

They need a million reasons to open another Giga Factory in the USA. This could easily yield that million reasons.

I don't believe they have the battery output they need for 200k 500 mile Cybertrucks annually quite yet. But everyday is a new day.
There are several problems with this otherwise valid argument. First, the backlog is huge no matter what they sell. Second, if they go like Chevy with the low-end truck, then people will be wondering where this feature or that is and how much they would cost. Third, it was Tesla that created reasonable trims based on motor number and range, to hit specific populations. Fourth, it is Tesla that said they would not be battery constrained for the Cybertruck. Fifth, if Chevrolet can put out a work truck with an EPA range of 450 miles, you are telling me that Tesla canā€™t? Sixth, coming out with the flagship first sets expectations reasonably for the lower trims and, without question, would res in fewer sales (just look at postings on this forum). Seventh, Tesla cannot afford to raise the prices very much, for the sake of their reputation and not to keep the waiting list short. An increase to match costs and inflation would be seen as reasonable. Nothing else would be.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Not the FSD price though.
Mine looks just like yours.

Tesla said that the FSD price was locked in....but is it?
Tesla has never backed out of that one as long as the trim is still being offerred.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Notice the result, that this crushes the dual motor purchases but doesn't really hurt the performance model.

Originally there were fewer Performance (Tri Motor) reservations on the board. So they're highly over-represented in the poll.

-Crissa
Wasnā€™t the split 40/40/20 (3/2/1 motor) pretty early on? Has that changed?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Itā€™s complicated.

If the price goes up $10k, it is effectively only a $2,500 increase for me due to the IRA rebates.

Aside from that, personal finances are weird. If things improve I will get the truck for up to $79k (73k after IRA). If they do not, I will get the lower range option or wait.

I voted for the performance because Iā€™m an optimist today.
Gee, how many people that can afford to buy an $80K truck would qualify for the IRA rebate to begin with. I am retired and my wife is still working and we do not qualify. Financing alone on $80K plus taxes and registration and insurance would be well over $1,000 a month.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Wasnā€™t the split 40/40/20 (3/2/1 motor) pretty early on? Has that changed?
IMO if Tesla releases it with a price of $79,900 and a range over 375 miles of range, IMO there were enough Tri-Motor reservation holders to snap up the first 2 years of production (2024 and 2025) despite the lower range, and higher price.

I reserved a Tri-motor because of the promised 500 mile range, but I want a Cybertruck, and would accept less range if it gets me the truck sooner rather than later. I won't pay $100K for it though....

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
IMO if Tesla releases it with a price of $79,900 and a range over 375 miles of range, IMO there were enough Tri-Motor reservation holders to snap up the first 2 years of production (2024 and 2025) despite the lower range, and higher price.

I reserved a Tri-motor because of the promised 500 mile range, but I want a Cybertruck, and would accept less range if it gets me the truck sooner rather than later. I won't pay $100K for it though....
I reserved based on 2 major features: 3mm stainless skin, and 500-mile range. If those features aren't present in the tri-motor then I would have to rethink the Silverado option. That said, Elon has had a policy of under promising and over delivering with every vehicle and I do not expect him to fail with the Cybertruck. My best guess is that if he cannot deliver a 500-mile tri/quad Cybertruck he will not begin with that trim. But if he cannot deliver 500 miles when Silverado 'can' then he has a much bigger problem on his hands than my reservation. He would be the fool of the century.
Sponsored