Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The advantage of the adjustable suspension is that you only have the disadvantages of a raised suspension when you need it. The rest of the time it’s low to the ground where it handles better and gets better range.

Maybe you can put some 42” tires on yours or go full on monster truck if you are willing to sacrifice handling for “presence”.
Yeah, raised up it has:

A worse rollover rating
Larger blind spots
Lower range
Lower acceleration
Poor braking
Poor turning/handling...

-Crissa
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I'll stick with AT tires too. I'd like to do some off road excursions to access remote areas, but I won't be looking for the toughest line, like rock crawlers tend to do, I'll be taking the easiest route to get away from it all.

I have wondered if there's such a thing as "rental tires" in areas like Moab, in case I'd like to put the ol' CYBERTRUCK thru its paces. Some big, fat, bead locked set of wheels that I could use for a week or so, then return to the tire shop to get my old boring tires back to head back out on the highway.
Timeshare tires!!!

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
The advantage of the adjustable suspension is that you only have the disadvantages of a raised suspension when you need it. The rest of the time it’s low to the ground where it handles better and gets better range.

Maybe you can put some 42” tires on yours or go full on monster truck if you are willing to sacrifice handling for “presence”.
I'm going to assume that the body style and the all around bad-assery of the CT will be presence enough ;)

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag

Is it wearing different tires today?! 👀

FsfGV0QaAAA6OX-.jpeg

FsbKNKlaMAMJ8T_.jpeg
Thanks for the pics. It seems to me odd; no rear reflectors, no side marker lights or turn signals visible to the side, and no back up lights. They were once seen near the license plate. I question if this vehicle, as is, is street legal in all 50 states much less globally. If the off road windshield light is a feature, and we have not seen it since the redesigned windshield, this may be a production sample model that is still significantly different from the Real McCoy. Reveal night hub caps are back, just another frustration factor for those trying to beat Elon in the EV market.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I doubt they change tires on one truck, most likely they have several running around at this point.

I’m hoping they’re all terrain tires aren’t too tough on range because I’d prefer AT tires. Strong chance I’ll end up with these though because range > off road performance.
Thoughts on original Shelby Cobra prototype and repainting between showings to make the public believe there were many built

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the pics. It seems to me odd; no rear reflectors, no side marker lights or turn signals visible to the side, and no back up lights. They were once seen near the license plate. I question if this vehicle, as is, is street legal in all 50 states much less globally. If the off road windshield light is a feature, and we have not seen it since the redesigned windshield, this may be a production sample model that is still significantly different from the Real McCoy. Reveal night hub caps are back, just another frustration factor for those trying to beat Elon in the EV market.
We saw these on the moving on at Investor day. Not sure where the reflectors are, but they may be in the gap between the stainless and the bumper.

Betas only have working what they need to have working, so... They'll be missing alot of parts.

These aren't even production intent, which is when we'll start to see these finished things.

-Crissa

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
Thoughts on original Shelby Cobra prototype and repainting between showings to make the public believe there were many built
Maybe this truck is the MEV - Mars Expedition Vehicle and Elon is just working the bugs out before he flings it in that direction :)

audi2tesla

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3; 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
Country flag
I’m sorry…but with each of these sneak peak I’m getting less impressed with this truck. It’s looking weaker and weaker with each “road show” photo op. Each pic of it in the wild shows it low to the ground and frankly imo whimpy. Sorry to offend any enthusiast, but with each cameo I’m losing interest. However, I remain hopeful it’s going to rise up and be that beast truck with grappling tires that has a bad a$$ presence everywhere. C’mon Elon deliver that crushing blow to all legacy trucks and any competition challenging Tesla.
No Bro-Dozer for you.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Is it wearing different tires today?! 👀
could we see the tires in the others? I thought the other recents were at speed and so indiscernible?

these tires in this photo I’m increasingly convinced are the mainline production tires. not that there won’t be other tire configuration options, but that that these are basically the default offering.

they’ve been specially designed to mimic the sidewalls of the original unveil prototype tires, and ‘flange’ with the matching hubcaps. they have all the regulatory required sidewall mounding data (size, max PSI, etc.). And they’ve been seen on many protos for quite a while, including the 8 in back of a CT, on Franz’s rig at investor day, etc.

Speaking of configurations, one interesting thing to wait and see: how Tesla addresses the speed and handling ratings of its OEM-offered tires, particularly with respect to any more aggressively treaded/sized options.

the guy above who appears to want 37” mud terrain tires on his daily driver will probably not be able to utilize the max acceleration or max speed capabilities of the CT.

but even to some degree, the theoretical acceleration/speed capabilities of the CT are not a typical match with various payload or tread preferences for truck tires.

below is the same design tire (could be different size or ratings), seen on another

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck riding around Palo Alto daily! Spotted again TODAY! (March 30 2023) F118F83E-A6CC-417D-ABF1-9948FBF805BC

it has:

• one of the higher load ratings for an OEM passenger vehicle tire offering (120 =3086 lbs per tire), which makes sense with the CT’s purported payload capabilities

• consistent with the above, a light truck rating, basically the heavy duty offering for a passenger vehicle (reinforced tire with thicker, stiffer sidewalls and a deeper tread)

• a pretty high speed rating (H = 130mph), though this I think is typically an over-engineered rating? (Eg an OEM may put 130mph rated tires on a vehicle speed-limited to 110mph?)

• a “mud + snow” category designation (M+S)

All the above, collectively, make for a pretty heavy duty passenger vehicle offering, consistent with the CT’s truck-like capabilities - but not typically associated with energy efficiency, or high speed acceleration and handling

But the devils are in the details - Tesla could have worked with Goodyear on materials, construction, etc., to create an equally class-defying tire?

tire experts weigh in?

because the main point is: when people rightfully meant Jon something like “the CT has the capabilities of both a medium-duty truck and a high end sports car” that combines to create some interesting questions about the OEM tire offerings.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
All the sightings follow what we saw with Model 3 and Model Y shortly before SOP. Super exciting! I hope we get a launch event date announcement sometime during Q2.
SOP? What does that mean? Standard operating procedures?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Start Of Production, most likely. A flurry of testing as the line was set up, then it got quiet, then they get shipped to testing and we see a bunch around the factory, then a bunch far away, then deliveries...

-Crissa
Sponsored