themuleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Exp Max Ltd, 2021 Ford F350 Ltd
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Hey fellow CT lovers! I configured my FS CT on Jan 18 so I'm getting excited. Quick question:

Should I have the home charger installed now? Is it included with the Foundation Series (and if it is, do I get a credit or something)? Or Is this something I need to take care of before taking delivery?
Sponsored

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
I believe Tesla sends the home charger and Powershare hardware to a Tesla certified electrician for installation after you receive your CT. Do you have any kind of 240v outlet in your garage you could use in the meantime? A dryer outlet (or 14-50 outlet) will work fine.

TwilightHan

First Name
Han
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model S, CT Beast Now Ordered
Country flag
Future proof your house, so you can install one ready for the CT so you can charge more quickly. Then you can use that one for your second Tesla after Tesla installs the new charger for the CT.

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The scary part is, I have yet to see/hear of one person getting the PowerShare Gateway V3 and the Universal Wall Charger installed.

Not one. So that means, you might be waiting awhile before that install happens. You need a plan B. Either use the local supercharger or get a NEMA 14-50 plug installed.

I plan to upgrade my NEMA 10-30 plug, but I am not sure if it is worth the effort & expense as a temporary solution. The NEMA 10-30 adaptor from Tesla is $45. Not sure how much the install + materials are to upgrade to NEMA 14-50.

Tesla Cybertruck Install Home Charger Before Delivery? IMG_5096

Tesla Cybertruck Install Home Charger Before Delivery? IMG_8550

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Hey fellow CT lovers! I configured my FS CT on Jan 18 so I'm getting excited. Quick question:

Should I have the home charger installed now? Is it included with the Foundation Series (and if it is, do I get a credit or something)? Or Is this something I need to take care of before taking delivery?
If it is relatively cheap and easy to install a NEMA 14-50 plug, that wouldn't be a bad idea.
You can always get by on a standard 120V plug, but maybe only 40 miles in 12 hours will be added.

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
you will receive a cable for 120 volt and power share to vehicle to vehicle and adapters. You will get an email for Powershare and Wall Charger from contractor/Tesla. Do not plug into just anything. Use provided with Truck on delivery day, it will be in the vault to plug into outlet to charge your truck for the time being.

Trekboy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Cybertruck
Country flag
I had ordered a wall connector a month before my Model 3 was delivered, but I didn't install it until AFTER I could see my car in the garage. I wanted to be sure of the location before I installed. In the mean time, I simply used the mobile adapter and a 50 amp welders outlet I had available.

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
I had ordered a wall connector a month before my Model 3 was delivered, but I didn't install it until AFTER I could see my car in the garage. I wanted to be sure of the location before I installed. In the mean time, I simply used the mobile adapter and a 50 amp welders outlet I had available.
I ordered the Wall Charger in 2019 in anticipation of a shortage. LOL I was wrong. 5 years later getting a second wall charger with truck. Ill be using my first purchase charger at my cabin and have the new one installed with Home Powershare V3 gateway, etc. I hear we may not need the V3 gateway if we already have a gateway with powerwalls. You hear the same?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
you will receive a cable for 120 volt and power share to vehicle to vehicle and adapters. You will get an email for Powershare and Wall Charger from contractor/Tesla. Do not plug into just anything. Use provided with Truck on delivery day, it will be in the vault to plug into outlet to charge your truck for the time being.
Are you sure about this? From what I've seen it's only the Mobile Connector Mobile Connector (tesla.com) and hopefully the J-1772 adaptor SAE J1772 Charging Adapter (tesla.com) . Everything else comes later?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I ordered the Wall Charger in 2019 in anticipation of a shortage. LOL I was wrong. 5 years later getting a second wall charger with truck. Ill be using my first purchase charger at my cabin and have the new one installed with Home Powershare V3 gateway, etc. I hear we may not need the V3 gateway if we already have a gateway with powerwalls. You hear the same?
Just to be clear about this, these are not chargers, they are classified as EVSE. They are glorified extension cords.
The wall thingy is Wall Connector (tesla.com)

The chargers are in the vehicles. And I believe that is EVs across the board.

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
Are you sure about this? From what I've seen it's only the Mobile Connector Mobile Connector (tesla.com) and hopefully the J-1772 adaptor SAE J1772 Charging Adapter (tesla.com) . Everything else comes later?
100 percent. I said it comes with a cable in the vault you can connect to another car to charge or an outlet. The other equipment like Powershare for your home and a wall charger come later once approved and you'll be contacted by Tesla. Foundation Series only at this time.

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
Just to be clear about this, these are not chargers, they are classified as EVSE. They are glorified extension cords.
The wall thingy is Wall Connector (tesla.com)

The chargers are in the vehicles. And I believe that is EVs across the board.
Hmm, I thought the wall thingy you purchase from Tesla you connect your car to is a Wall Charger. Power Wall Battery is the thingy you power your house with. The Power Share is a Wall Charger with V3 Gateway connection from your CT to your Wall Charger to power your house. I have the specs and approval already and have met with my contractor. Hope this helps.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
100 percent. I said it comes with a cable in the vault you can connect to another car to charge or an outlet. The other equipment like Powershare for your home and a wall charger come later once approved and you'll be contacted by Tesla. Foundation Series only at this time.
It's this point that I'm questioning " connect to another car". The Mobile Connector can't do that. It just plugs into the wall to allow charging the truck.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

I would just buy a Wall Connector and install it now. A new Wall Connector only costs $475 (including shipping). In a world with EV sales growing and ICE cars shrinking, you can never have too many charging stations. They increase the value of the property, especially now with the Tesla NACS charging standard having been adopted by all manufacturers who sell EVs in North America.

When you get your Foundation Series Wall Connector, you will undoubtedly find another place that needs one, whether it's the other side of your garage (two Wall Connectors can intelligently share the power of one charging circuit if your panel is becoming circuit limited) or maybe you have a cabin or second home. Or your mistresses home. Or your son or daughter's home. Or, just keep it in a box for when you move, they don't really go out of date.

What I found when I went electric is that owning an EV is more convenient than owning a gas vehicle (contrary to what the media tells you). But this is only true if you have that nice umbilical cord right where you park at home. I don't understand how families with two EVs can share one Wall Connector. Sure, it works, but who wants to have that in the back of their mind, deciding when it's time to unplug one and plug the other one in? You want to get home, plug it in and forget it.

The advice to install a NEMA outlet while you wait for your Foundation Edition Wall Connector to arrive is not that good of advice because it wastes time and money. And time is money. A good 50 amp outlet costs around $80 and requires a more expensive GFCI breaker and, depending upon the location of your electrical panel, it may require a service disconnect. None of that is required with a hard-wired Wall Connector. In fact, you don't want a GFCI circuit breaker on either type of charging solution because they both have built-in GFCI protection and having two on the same circuit can cause false tripping (but it's required on the 50 amp outlet). You will also need one less copper conductor for the length of your circuit if you install the Wall Connector instead of a 50 amp outlet.

The cleanest, simplest and safest install is a surface mount Wall Connector with built-in cable management. They are super simple to connect and disconnect in the rare event that you want to move it to a new site. It takes 10 minutes. Outlets can be problematic, they are harder to install (because they have inferior terminals, more wires- are required and are generally flush mounted instead of surface mounted), they can heat up and waste electricity, especially on one used intensively, like for charging Cybertrucks.

All most people need besides the $475 to get the Wall Connector shipped to their home is a breaker that fits your panel (non GFCI), three strands of wire the needed length and gauge, and conduit from your panel to the Wall Connector. Most installs are far simpler than people make it out to be. Yes, if you don't have the required knowledge, it seems complicated and fraught with danger, and you want a qualified person to do it. I did mine myself because I want to know I got a top quality install that is not going to fail. It was actually easier than hiring someone else (which I have also done).

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
It's this point that I'm questioning " connect to another car". The Mobile Connector can't do that. It just plugs into the wall to allow charging the truck.
no, it does. it comes with the vehicle. Just need to look at kit it comes with. Confirmed as well with DBLCapCrimpin on YT. He has the beast in Florida

Tesla Cybertruck Install Home Charger Before Delivery? 20231223_060459
Sponsored