Universal Charger Delivery & Install

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Nobody appears to be talking about not having the Universal Wall Charger in the truck when you pick it up during delivery.

When do you get the charger installed? How has that process worked? For someone who does not have any EV’s and no charging at home, what is the wait/gap time from picking it up and getting something installed?
Sponsored

Makeodds101

First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fj Cruiser
Country flag
I've never owned a Tesla but I have Tesla solar w/power walls. And I had the universal Tesla charger installed this past November. I went through Tesla approved distributers and they were super professional. After I sent them a ton a pictures that they requested of certain areas in my house, they gave me an estimate and we arranged the date. They did everything within an eight hour work day and they did a professional job. I still don't have a tesla but I have a nice universal charger installed waiting on my first EV. The whole process took a couple weeks, it was pretty much based on my schedule.

If it does come in the truck, I would start planning to have it installed when you receive your vin. Because you know you're going to receive a lot of attention if you go to the supercharger with a CT. And it's up to you whether that matters to you.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
One of the recent owners who took delivery said the wall charger came with the truck. You’ll have to contact a local electrician for installation. It’s the same for everyone. Also, make sure you check to see what permits are needed because that process may take time and may be required prior to installation.

OP
OP
Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
How do you plan to have it installed when you have to wait on the installer to bring the equipment and do the install. And that doesn’t happen until you buy & drive off the lot.

Am I missing something here? I mean, I could purchase a charger, but I am getting one with the truck & I wouldn’t want to pay twice.

Ri22

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3 CT
Occupation
Cinematographer
Country flag
I was wondering this as well since I got the email about Tesla setting me up with an install pro for the power share gateway (when I get my VIN, don't have one yet). So the charger and the gateway are two different connections to the home panel? Can the gateway charge and pull back to the home grid? Then we don't need the wall charger?... So many questions:unsure:

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Maybe. I’ll have to see if I can find it. If so I’ll link it.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You were right. It was the mobile connector.

stevegshi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM1500, Model 3
Occupation
Contractor, Electrical Engr, Master Electrician
Country flag
I once asked a similar question to someone on X who took delivery. He said only mobile connector is available at delivery with the truck and the universal wall connector is part of the PowerShare equipment to be supplied and installed at a later day by a third party installer.

That’s why many people got the PowerShare email before their VINs. So in case Tesla couldn’t install PowerShare for whatever reason, the owner could plan ahead and buy a wall connector on their own or just use mobile connector that comes with the truck.

Say the third party installer did the PowerShare installation, the wall connector is wired to a 2-pole breaker in the electric panel, a second equipment called Gateway is installed between the electric panel and utility meter. Gateway is like an automatic transfer switch for a standby generator. It monitors utility power status: on normal days, it passes utility power to your electrical panel. When power outages occur, it disconnects the utility side and allows the Universal Wall Connector to reverse the power flow. Because the utility is disconnected, the connected EV will only supply backup power to the house, not to the grid. When it detects utility power is restored, it tells the universal wall connector to shut off and then re-engage utility connection, thus the utility power is passed thru to the house.

This is how I understand it. I can’t find any video on the actual PowerShare installation or its demo. My guess is no one has gotten the PowerShare installation yet.

TeslaFANa

First Name
Fiesky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 model s, 2018 model x, 2024 cybertruck
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
You were right. It was the mobile connector.
Was gonna say the same thing, as far as I know Tesla is not in charge of installing your home charger, you can buy it from them or Amazon and hire an electrician to do it, that's how I've done all 4 of mine (2 houses). It's supposed to be a certified Tesla electrician whatever that means, on my second house we just hired a good electrician and he followed the instructions, it's fairly simple and he had already installed plenty of those, just make sure they use the right amp breaker.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
The wall connector will either be provided at delivery, or shipped to you after the fact.

In terms of the install, you are responsible for finding and paying an electrician to install it. Tesla can recommend local Tesla certified electricians, but they do not coordinate the install or anything.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
I have an authorized Tesla installer installed my solar sytem, 3 PoweWalls, a Tesla Gateway, a Tesla Universal connector and a 2nd 60amp, 240V outlet a few months ago and it took four afternoons to do so. You don't need to have the equipment to plan your installation. They prefer to install it near your circuit panel and can be up to a 60amp breaker for fastest L2 charging. They prefer that you have WiFi for easier commissioning of the device but it's not required. I plan on having Tesla install the PowerShare and the other Universal Wall Connector (already qualified per 2nd email from Tesla) in my soon to be build 2nd garage where my Cyberbeast will be parked. By year's end, I should have 2 additional Powerwalls installed. At that time, I should have 5 EVs so having all these batteries, chargers and outlet helps.

Tesla Cybertruck Universal Charger Delivery & Install 20231123_163917

Tesla Cybertruck Universal Charger Delivery & Install 20231111_155150

Tesla Cybertruck Universal Charger Delivery & Install 20231111_155121

Tesla Cybertruck Universal Charger Delivery & Install 20231109_161727
Sponsored