swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
If you gauge cost by replacement parts (plus labor, mind you) the 2 screens should run less than $1,500 (based on the MCU2 replacement task for the Model S, which includes replacing both screens). It's roughly the cost of a laptop, I don't consider that excessive and I love the 2 screen setup on the S.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
That looks like a photoshop. But it’s likely coming at some point to keep up with the competition. Screens aren’t expensive anymore.
It's not Photoshop. It is an aftermarket kit. Been around for a bit.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Hey, this image caught the door release buttons! When I was a little tike in the 50's my dad had a 56 Chevy Belair with no door handles. There was a button inside the wheelwell.

Here's the CT image:

Tesla Cybertruck Instrument Cluster Display + Auto Shift Out Of Park + Steering Yoke confirmed in new Cybertruck pics @ Giga Texas doorbuttons

Here's our 56 Chevy (no side mirror also):

Tesla Cybertruck Instrument Cluster Display + Auto Shift Out Of Park + Steering Yoke confirmed in new Cybertruck pics @ Giga Texas photo1_r2_c5_f2

Last edited:

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Agreed, but think a better way of saying that would be

... to stay ahead of the "competition"
I think overall Tesla is making the best cars available. That doesn’t mean they are the best at everything. If their cars have one screen, and the competition has 2, and people prefer 2, they aren’t ahead.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think overall Tesla is making the best cars available. That doesn’t mean they are the best at everything. If their cars have one screen, and the competition has 2, and people prefer 2, they aren’t ahead.
No, it means they have 2 screens.

If their console take 20 seconds to boot up and has 3 seconds of lag between tapping and pulling up the location search screen, they are not “Ahead” even if they have 20 screens.

Having multiple screens is one feature of many.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Yeah. It looks like they're touch points with NFC.

touchpad.jpg
I "think" they also added a touchpoint for the tailgate, in the center/bottom of the tail light bar.
Also, it looks like they changed the top of the tailgate. It looks like the outside corners of the lightbar stay in place, when the tailgate is lowered. That way, when the tailgate is down, they are still functional.

Edit, Here's a framegrab from the Austin video. It shows the guy pointing at the touchpoint. And also notice at the top of the tailgate, it's no longer on a 45 degree angle all the way to the outside of the corner.

Tesla Cybertruck Instrument Cluster Display + Auto Shift Out Of Park + Steering Yoke confirmed in new Cybertruck pics @ Giga Texas beta_tailgate
Sponsored

Last edited: