shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
That's why I said on a Cybertruck, crash daage will be interesting. You won't be able to just hide it under paint.

-Crissa
Speaking as somewhat of a panel beater myself, you can't/don't hide defects with paint. Also, it's easier to hide defects on a curved surface than a flat one.
OTOH, Sandy Munro said Jeep owners scratch and dent their $50,000 rigs and don't GAS. A patched up CT will show that it was used for it's intended purposes, and not just a garage queen.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Speaking as somewhat of a panel beater myself, you can't/don't hide defects with paint.
Paint helps. It covers up the fill!

Had one body guy completely replace a panel with fill He was so proud of how it looked. I was like, 'l hired you to replace the panel with another panel...'

Alas, his loaned to me got trashed on the last day when I went to get my car. Someone tried popping the locks while it sat in front of his shop! So we called it even x-x

-Crissa

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Where the failure points in the crumple zone have been placed. It being so strong, it will probably be much more organized than we're used to.

Yes. That's in fact the method of repairing the Model Y with the new mega-castings. The crash bars are part of the casting, but designed to be sacrificed and replaced.

That's why I said on a Cybertruck, crash daage will be interesting. You won't be able to just hide it under paint.

-Crissa
The imperfect weld joints would be like battle scars worn with pride. Maybe accentuated with suture/stich welds.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
The imperfect weld joints would be like battle scars worn with pride. Maybe accentuated with suture/stich welds.
#MadMaxRoadWarrior

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
If they are using 304L sheet where the mill finish will make it to the end then we should not expect any welding (seam or spot) on visible surfaces. So internal bracing- annealed/stamped pieces could be welded to flanges on the exterior pieces.

Or perhaps there will be a final sand process on the exterior surfaces after welding. then pickle etc

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Where the failure points in the crumple zone have been placed. It being so strong, it will probably be much more organized than we're used to.

Yes. That's in fact the method of repairing the Model Y with the new mega-castings. The crash bars are part of the casting, but designed to be sacrificed and replaced.

That's why I said on a Cybertruck, crash damage will be interesting. You won't be able to just hide it under paint.

-Crissa
In a head-on crash, I think the crumple zone is designed into the other guys' vehicle. Cybertruck just doesn't look like it's got any crumple in it. So, the other vehicle is sacrificed and replaced. :D

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
In a head-on crash, I think the crumple zone is designed into the other guys' vehicle. Cybertruck just doesn't look like it's got any crumple in it. So, the other vehicle is sacrificed and replaced. :D
Everything outside of the cabin is a crumple zone in a Tesla. So basically the frunk and the tailgate.

Better to crumple than transfer stress into the cabin or traction battery. Small damage to that and the vehicle is totaled; massive damage to the frunk and it's repairable.

-Crissa

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Tesla Motors is an engineering based company and they have experience working with SS through Space X. I am confident they have the production methods figured out and the specialized machinery being built as we speak. It wont be long before the assembly buildings will be “dried in“ and the production machinery being shipped to the site to start pilot production.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
This video comes to mind when reading that. The CT would be like the Malibu and any other new car would be like the Bel Air: toast.

But what if two CT's get in a head on collision? ?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
This video comes to mind when reading that. The CT would be like the Malibu and any other new car would be like the Bel Air: toast.
I'm appalled at the waste of a nice classic car!

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Yeah I'm with you! There was another one of I think a Camry vs an old Civic, much less cringing due to a great loss. If anything, they should have used a junker version instead of a very pristine condition classic!

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Wow, for some reason I watched the video impartially, without thinking at all about that. After your comment I went back and looked at it. That 59 Bel Air was beautiful. What a loss!