HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
And they wonder why newer pickup drivers are occasionally running over kids, bicycles, wheelchairs, etc. The flat and tall front end creates a huge blind spot.

424E3AB6-D805-4375-BCB7-FF105C7717A4.jpeg
It looks like oil companies designed the nose of that truck!

Oh, wait....
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The fragile network is the result of poor oversight and regulation of the utilities greed. And the utility's resistance to change has the same root cause. The utility has been obtuse. And regulators have let them get away with it. The result is not pretty.
Um no, we have too much power, the grid goes overvoltage because theres no-one on there to use it. A bigger grid wouldn't help.

Its normal here to have a hundred miles between "towns" and even gas stations.

I suppose we could plug in some electric heaters outside and help man made global warming move along. :p

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can agree we need better regulation, but all regulation is post development. What we need first is better development of systems that work with our new cost effective and cost competitive RE. Off grid works better than most think and cheaper too.
Regulation is not "post-development". Some of the most important functions of the regulators is the reulation of the long-term infrastructure planning and development.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Um no, we have too much power, the grid goes overvoltage because theres no-one on there to use it. A bigger grid wouldn't help.

Its normal here to have a hundred miles between "towns" and even gas stations.

I suppose we could plug in some electric heaters outside and help man made global warming move along. :p
I didn't say a "bigger grid". The grid goes over-voltage because there is not enough storage capacity and the generation cannot be ramped down quickly enough. The capacitance of the lines is not going to cut it! :ROFLMAO:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Regulation is not "post-development". Some of the most important functions of a regulated utility is the long-term infrastructure planning and development.
Sorry should have been defined as post technological development. As in the technology has to exist before it needs regulation. You can't regulate that which hasn't been made to work.

I agree regulators can plan with existing technology.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The low center of gravity and a sloped hood is a huge safety advantage for the Cybertruck. it’s one of the byproducts of having a heavy battery pack mounted underneath the vehicle.

I was two hours behind this fatal accident on Highway 101 on Thursday in Central CA. It involving a vehicle with a high center of gravity (Ford Experdition). I believe the southbound vehicle veered of the highway, rolled over and collided with vehicles in the north bound lane. Two people in the Expedition were killed three others transported with injuries.

Tesla Cybertruck Latest From Musk: Production Cybertruck almost exactly same but better. No door handles. 4 wheel steering. Self opening doors. 9A174EA0-86A5-4878-AE3E-52AB2F085474

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry should have been defined as post technological development. As in the technology has to exist before it needs regulation. You can't regulate that which hasn't been made to work.

I agree regulators can plan with existing technology.
I'm not sure what your point is here.

I built my first solar powered radio in 1972 and the trajectory of solar panel development in terms of cost/Wh declines has been steady and predictable. Same with the scaling of larger, more efficient wind turbines and the associated cost declines. Very steady and predictable.

The problem is that utilities want to protect what they have. It's the job of the regulator to force them to serve the needs of the people in the most cost-effective manner.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I didn't say a "bigger grid". The grid goes over-voltage because there is not enough storage capacity and the generation cannot be ramped down quickly enough. The capacitance of the lines is not going to cut it! :ROFLMAO:
At point of load embedded storage is better than centralised. I'm not sure the arguement can be made that networks must provide storage options for household solar.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Mostly agree.

But specs are numbers on a sheet of paper.

Nobody has driven one of these in a casual/ day to day basis and dealt with the limitations and perceived advantages of it. It may be this looks neat on paper, but turns out to be too frustrating for people to use as a work truck and/ or isn't practical off road. (Not a prediction, just recognizing the possibility)

The truck is unprecedented. We've had big Tesla pre-orders before, but they have all been fairly traditional designs.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think it'll be just fine, but also recognize there is the real chance demand will flatten after the first generation rolls out.
Tesla got caught on camera with a prototype full of partiers after dining and runover a safety cone with his Cybertruck. It was a bad look any way you dress it. Truck people will have no problem with CT. Tesla has a problem with CT and non-truck folks - no more. Rear steer plugs that!

Cybertruck has the opportunity to upgrade, morph, extend and embrace with every HDWEver.0 upgrade and OTA update. Only its rugged poly-form appearance stands between it and popularity.

F-150 owns its history that is now changing to a much different world. Cybertruck may presage exactly the right evolutionary answer to what is, in retrospect, the logical next progression for the pickup world.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

I built my first solar powered radio in 1972 and the trajectory of solar panel development in terms of cost/Wh declines has been steady and predictable. Same with the scaling of larger, more efficient wind turbines and the associated cost declines. Very steady and predictable.

The problem is that utilities want to protect what they have. It's the job of the regulator to force them to serve the needs of the people in the most cost-effective manner.
So my point leads back to a previous statement, that there is a way that technology can provide a service like energy without regulation.

Example:
The first cars didn't have indicators, brake light, neither were there traffic lights etc. Nor were there freeways and dotted lines.

Or in the case of solar here now that requires generation managment on new household solar installs, so they can shut down your solar export to balance the grid.
All those regulations occured after the car/grid/solar was developed and widely used.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think the most common version of the Cybertruck will weigh less, not more, than ICE trucks with comparable load capacities. It will also have a stiffer chassis and better suspension giving it a big edge in handling dynamics which plays into safety much more significantly than people give it credit for.

Most serious pickup truck accidents that I've seen on video are a direct result of serious handling deficiencies of traditional body on frame pickups, limitations the Cybertruck will not have to nearly the same degree. Not even comparable.

That one fact alone, the handling/roll-over resistance, will make the Cybertruck the safest truck in it's class.
BTW

More talk from me on suspension here:
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/cybertruck-suspension-changes.3466/post-59442
And frame here: https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...-steel-cybertruck-exoskeleton.3374/post-59446

If you're interested.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think the most common version of the Cybertruck will weigh less, not more, than ICE trucks with comparable load capacities. It will also have a stiffer chassis and better suspension giving it a big edge in handling dynamics which plays into safety much more significantly than people give it credit for.
I was talking about its weight relative to the Model S and X which are the current safest vehicles on the road.

Being safer than a normal pickup which handles like a brick seems like a low bar. Particularly when idiots raise their center of gravity by 6" or more and put non-spec tires on them.

That one fact alone, the handling/roll-over resistance, will make the Cybertruck the safest truck in it's class.
No doubt.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
this is what worries me. One would think he’d be giving substantive updates if we were close to production. I’m (unfortunately) thinking we won’t see limited production until spring and ramp up next summer.
The competition has barely shown theirs, so I am thinking he's keeping it for later.

Because Elon knows we're always salivating for details, he can keep another one ready to put Tesla in a good light later.

That's why I expected the bigger release after Rivian's delivery videos started up. To catch the wave of media.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

Agreed. But in saying that, it’s an acknowledgement that I am as much captured by the idea of monopoly and regulation as a technology as are you and everyone else.

JBee, from AUS, brings his experience of the edge case where solar is predominant before the rest of us get to that point. Tesla convincingly demonstrated that engineering, distributed and managed grid obsoletes the idea of monopoly for centralized energy production’s sake.

It follows, if correctly understood, the world economy is at the point of changing its fate right at this moment. Regulatory capture no longer need be the defining economy protectorate, mediator of markets nor ultimate specifier around which industry designs its needs, products or future.

Leave monopolies to their fates. Free technologies to lay waste to the trash heap of history the grand hulks of empire. The options are to beat them or join them. @JBee points to a fork in the road.

There isn’t some third way, only destructive tension, friction and animus until critical mass overwhelms(to wit: Tesla,SpaceX,Starlink) whole sectors of the economy.

Elon does the world mission a disservice in failing to subsidiary Tesla’s energy technologies, marque and brand under one umbrella by name to handle as the next evolution step toward sustainable society.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The competition has barely shown theirs, so I am thinking he's keeping it for later.

Because Elon knows we're always salivating for details, he can keep another one ready to put Tesla in a good light later.

That's why I expected the bigger release after Rivian's delivery videos started up. To catch the wave of media.

-Crissa
Thing is that Rivian just had another delay. The way things are going, the CT might be ready to produce before the Rivian.
Sponsored