Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The CT3 can run your fridge and charge your cell phones and tablets for a VERY long time... Little danger of bricking the truck. Secondly, you can monitor the usage from your phone or the truck and stop using it once it hit some percentage threshold you're comfortable with.
The Model Y (and I'm sure all Teslas) shut down features as the battery drains down. At 20% you can't use camp mode. Below 5%, Sentry mode shuts off. Below 20%, the vehicle no longer tries to keep the cabin below 105 when it's parked.

I'm certain AC outlets will be disabled after a threshold. Likely 20%.

Edit: I was assuming the CT would have features common to all Teslas
Sponsored

Last edited:

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
The CT shuts down features as the battery drains down. At 20% you can't use camp mode. Below 5%, Sentry mode shuts off. Below 20%, the vehicle no longer tries to keep the cabin below 105 when it's parked.

I'm certain AC outlets will be disabled after a threshold. Likely 20%.
Even better, the CT could shut down power to the house below a particular threshold.

ijoe13

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Well, there's our confirmation on what exactly no handles means. I assume there's still a manual way to open the door because the last thing I need is my CT not opening because I shaved my beard or skipped the contacts and stayed in glasses that day.
I presume this wouldn’t be like FaceID, but Bluetooth via the app or keyfob or card key.

MestizoGris

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 and 3 bicycles
Occupation
Retired Energy Engineer
Country flag
This was Musk's position on it in the past. There was V2G on the roadster, but no one used it... but that was a long time ago now.

Given where I am in the world I would spring for the equipment to hook my car up to my house and grid so long as:

1. There was a guarantee that the battery would only be used an agreed upon number of times and percentages a year. The car would also have to be guaranteed to be at a set percentage of charge in the morning.
  2. There was some financial incentive from the utility
  3. I can power my house in the case of power outage
When you're without power after a hurricane, flipping a few switches and breakers to ensure you keep your fridge, TV, a few fans going is easily managed! Better than nothing at all. The CT3 battery could power a whole house for a while I think. So just the essentials could last a long time. Eventually devices could switch off automatically, some might be able to do this already. Part of it is to be ready for the future. If some CT will be around for a couple of decades then it's future proofing them to have the circuitry to support V2H and V2G.
Don't forget, most if not all utilities/cities require that there is a disconnect between the house and the grid (incoming power) in an outage. This is to protect workers on the power lines. This can be done with a ATS (automatic transfer switch) or a manual transfer switch (are you always home when the power goes out?). If you don't do this you are not only going against code, your actions could injure or kill someone.

Tesla is actually in a good position for this if you also have a Powerwall and Tesla charger, as you've already decided and have a separate breaker panel for what you backup, an automatic disconnect, AC/DC rectifier, DC/AC inverter, a brain (processor with software), and a cable between the car battery and the home breaker panel. Don't know if this will work with current cable, but I'd think a new cable and/or hardware/software changes in the car is all that would be needed.

Personally because my house is fairly remote and subject to frigid winter temps and snow, I really have no desire to use my vehicle for home backup, I need the miles to get to safety if needed (including forest fires). So for me it is the Powerwall which is the best option.

Docbiker

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lincoln Nautilus hope soon cybertruck
Occupation
Retired VP no
Country flag
I'd pay for normal door handles.

This is a neat feature, but if I get in an accident, I'd like people to be able to extract me from the car.

Four wheel steering is an awesome unexpected bonus, but the handles... not a fan.
To be sure there is a manual release inside

Lupanar

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
IT Security
Country flag
Itl
The no door handles thing is what Elon calls "principle first" design. This is an assumption on my part. The handle being presented to you has a lot of challenges with small moving parts. The handle being always exposed increases the drag coefficient. The train of thought is, "what about no part?"
While non traditional, the idea of using technology to simply remove mechanical parts is certainly a good one imho.

Then again, everything is just an idea until it's actually tried. Maybe the no door handles idea will fail miserably. But I doubt it.
if it works like the model 3 the Bluetooth on your phone unlocks and locks the doors. Bluetooth distance is 30 feet.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
To be sure there is a manual release inside
I'm not worried about this. The Model Y has a button release, and there is a manual release. I'm certain the CT will as well.

(Though that bothers me a tiny bit too because it is not very obvious. )

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Don't forget, most if not all utilities/cities require that there is a disconnect between the house and the grid (incoming power) in an outage. This is to protect workers on the power lines. This can be done with a ATS (automatic transfer switch) or a manual transfer switch (are you always home when the power goes out?). If you don't do this you are not only going against code, your actions could injure or kill someone.

Tesla is actually in a good position for this if you also have a Powerwall and Tesla charger, as you've already decided and have a separate breaker panel for what you backup, an automatic disconnect, AC/DC rectifier, DC/AC inverter, a brain (processor with software), and a cable between the car battery and the home breaker panel. Don't know if this will work with current cable, but I'd think a new cable and/or hardware/software changes in the car is all that would be needed.

Personally because my house is fairly remote and subject to frigid winter temps and snow, I really have no desire to use my vehicle for home backup, I need the miles to get to safety if needed (including forest fires). So for me it is the Powerwall which is the best option.
All very true, I've read about the need for the option to disconnect to protect workers. I'm not trying to over simplify the required solution, just saying this seems like a good idea long term. Those batteries store large amounts of energy and are just sitting there most of the time.

Dawgfan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JL Jeep, Chevy S10, Infiniti Q60
Country flag
It seems finding stuff to complain and worry about the Cybertruck is very popular. So here is my big worry. I live in the PNW and I am worried the gray color of the stainless steel maybe mistaken for a rain cloud causing an accident which nobody will be able to extract me from the truck causing me to starve to death or bleed out. Then on top of that my family will have to buy multiple plots to bury me in my Cybertruck. Scratch that last sentence that was going to happen anyway.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Why is everyone so freaked about the no handle thing? Has no one ever had or at least seen a shaved classic car with poppers? This is seriously not anything new, just a higher tech version of poppers.
They had these in classic cars? O_O

Tesla Cybertruck Latest From Musk: Production Cybertruck almost exactly same but better. No door handles. 4 wheel steering. Self opening doors. 1626386348220

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I will literally cancel my order if there are no external door knobs. No external door knobs combined with bullet proof exterior = extremely unsafe if I get in an accident and go unconscious - no one will be able to get me out!
Wouldn’t the CT be in constant contact with ground control, in the event of an accident couldn’t the doors be opened remotely.

Payment Automation

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
No door handles is very cool. Love hi tech! Too bad I am so far down on the reservation list :(
Can't wait to go out in the wilderness with my CT and Cyberlandr!
P.S. The Cyberlandr won't have door handles either.

MRTENNANT

First Name
Tray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3, Tesla CT on Order
Occupation
Archaeologist
Country flag
They had these in classic cars? O_O

1626386348220.jpeg
Yeah, there are lots of classic car with no handles and remote openers....

Its just a high tech version of the same shit. Looks like you picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.