1ofafew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor
Country flag
Just in from Elon:

In end, we kept production design almost exactly same as show car. Just some small tweaks here & there to make it slightly better. No door handles. Car recognizes you & opens door. Having all four wheels steer is amazing for nimble handling & tight turns!

We may carry a key fob, which when we approach truck it will recognize that. Hoping.

DittoDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 E-Smart
Occupation
Lithium Battery Pack Designer
Country flag
I got what you're throwing down. I'm my model 3, anyone can open the doors if they're unlocked. I imagine the same would be true with the CT.
How did a fireman open a door that's locked? Bust the window.
How does a fireman open a door with no handles that is unlocked? The same way you do, with a touch.

I guess what I'm trying to illustrate is that the doors aren't coming with no way to open them except your face or phone. Anyone can open all other Tesla models, including the touch handles of the X, assuming they are unlocked. Which is also true for any other door.

One other thing I was thinking, most accidents where you can't open your own door will warp the car enough that is doesn't really matter--the doors are jammed. For this reason, rescue folks will just default to window busting. Your car is already messed up....

Cheers!
I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of the time it'll work just how I'd like it to and look cool to boot.

But I want someone to show me how a fireman removes me from the car when I'm unconscious. I want to know that my friends dog or kid jumping on the door isn't going to pop it open when I don't want to.

This just feels like a way of introducing problems to a situation when there is already a perfectly reasonable solution, a door handle.
I love Elon’s idea of no handles. Do you really think than an engineer would not think of the potential problems you cited? And not engineer it to prevent them??? Really? They are that dumb and you are so smart by showing him this deficiency? If you were an engineer, they do a process called DFMEA. Look it up. It’s a method where the engineers sit in a mtg and think of everything that could go wrong with a product. Then they grade the potential problems and correct them.

sheesh, ye of little faith….

Dan

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It wouldn't have to be a very complicated system either just a spring and latch that releases when your phone is recognized. My Model 3 already recognizes when I get near it all they have to do is tell the computer to release the door and the spring will open it up. Probably less complicated then having a door handle.
It is probably more than that because workers come and go near trucks all the time w/o wanting the doors to open. They will need some smarts on top of what you say (electro-mechanically speaking) to have it work correctly for a work truck - maybe have it be configurable. We will want it to work in inclement conditions as well - more smarts. I do like the idea though.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
While the F150 runs on Gas and can recharge - not sure I’d want to plug the Tesla into the house to run the AC and Fridge. If the power is out, no gas pumps run, no way to recharge the Tesla - do you really want to drain the battery and brick the truck? Better off getting a separate gas or battery for the house.
If the weather is even half way decent, many of us will have a way to charge our BEV vehicle.
Solar panels !!
Some in rural areas might have wind mill or micro hydro.
Others might have gas/propane/diesel generators

This is advantage of electrification of vehicle. Much more options.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I love Elon’s idea of no handles. Do you really think than an engineer would not think of the potential problems you cited? And not engineer it to prevent them??? Really? They are that dumb and you are so smart by showing him this deficiency? If you were an engineer, they do a process called DFMEA. Look it up. It’s a method where the engineers sit in a mtg and think of everything that could go wrong with a product. Then they grade the potential problems and correct them.

Dan
And there are many cycles of that process…

CptRameus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Health Care
Country flag
This sounds very similar to what I have on our X now. My keyfob will auto open the doors now and it works great. I can touch the door handle too if I'm impatient and it will open. There is no "handle" that pops out like the S, just an area that pops the door. I'd be fine with that.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
It is probably more than that because workers come and go near trucks all the time w/o wanting the doors to open. They will need some smarts on top of what you say (electro-mechanically speaking) to have it work correctly for a work truck - maybe have it be configurable. We will want it to work in inclement conditions as well - more smarts. I do like the idea though.
My ct door open hand signal for ai to recognize will be a big middle finger. It won't open until i give it the finger. :) Universal sign for love.

Also a cheap retaliatory action to pedestrians who give me the finger. BAM! Doored! ;)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

If Tesla's engineers had a perfect track record with this stuff, I'd be a lot more excited.

The last few times Tesla experimented with openers it's been a mixed bag. The handles on the Model S which went through quite a few iterations before they got it quite right. Likewise the Falcon Wing doors which leaked and had other issues.

Trick handles are neat for show cars. I want something I can take out to the woods and not have to stress about failing on me.

It probably costs $100 less to manufacture, weighs 8 pounds less, and reduces drag by a tiny amount.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
My ct door open hand signal for ai to recognize will be a big middle finger. It won't open until i give it the finger. :) Universal sign for love.
Be careful.

Your Cybertruck might respond through the external speaker with "Sorry Dave I can't do that" and not unlock the door. Has happened before.

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Dr
Country flag
I'd pay for normal door handles.

This is a neat feature, but if I get in an accident, I'd like people to be able to extract me from the car.

Four wheel steering is an awesome unexpected bonus, but the handles... not a fan.
All Teslas are power actuated doors, not mechanical (yes, even the Model 3/Y) They all have emergency door latches.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
...62?...
The military academy in the background closed in 58, I'm thinking this photo was 59 because I have a photo of our next car in 1960. It was a 58 Ford Fairlane.

Tesla Cybertruck Latest From Musk: Production Cybertruck almost exactly same but better. No door handles. 4 wheel steering. Self opening doors. photo1_r2_c5
Sponsored