Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The reason for no doorhandles is because when you punch through metal During production it causes a distortion and because of the thickness of the stainless steel having no doorhandles is the only option.
If they were going with door handles, they wouldn't be punching them out. They would most likely use a more appropriate method like waterjet, which doesn't deform the parent material. Alas, pointless discussion!
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Typically Tesla would honor the price that was stated when you made your deposit you may see a price increase on their website for future orders however
Yeah, I wasn't very clear. I meant to say this. The contract has wiggle room, but I would think if there were any chance of the price going up they would have raised them for new orders already.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of the time it'll work just how I'd like it to and look cool to boot.

But I want someone to show me how a fireman removes me from the car when I'm unconscious. I want to know that my friends dog or kid jumping on the door isn't going to pop it open when I don't want to.

This just feels like a way of introducing problems to a situation when there is already a perfectly reasonable solution, a door handle.
how would a an emergency personnel remove you currently if your windows were up and doors locked? most newer cars auto lock, that outside door handle is pretty useless no?

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Behold, the jaws of life. Other acceptable answers would be angle grinder and pry bar.

The glass is tough, but not indestructible. The kinetics of a striking tool, sustained pressure and cutting tools is vastly different than impact of steel balls, bullets and neighborhood cats. I think firefighters will be just fine.

Tesla Cybertruck Latest From Musk: Production Cybertruck almost exactly same but better. No door handles. 4 wheel steering. Self opening doors. FDIC041119-Hurst1

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I do worry about charge access to the 12v battery if it gets discharged and the truck is sealed. I rather use jumper cables to energize and open the truck versus a roadside assistant call
If the battery becomes discharged, the frunk unlocks.

-Crissa

jhciv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Cybertruck; First Production Model 3
Country flag
Changing topic from the handles (which will be fine...) - bigger news is what he's not saying about side mirrors and windshield wipers. Have camera side mirrors been approved for the US? Are the patented "laser wipers" real?

He's pushed back the CT update so many times (Dec... Q2...) I don't think it will happen until they are VERY close to production. Probably end of 2021 or early 2022.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
He's pushed back the CT update so many times (Dec... Q2...) I don't think it will happen until they are VERY close to production. Probably end of 2021 or early 2022.
My expectation is after the Rivian ships. Elon tends to use the free media bumps. Cybertruck had a good day yesterday, for instance.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Changing topic from the handles (which will be fine...) - bigger news is what he's not saying about side mirrors and windshield wipers. Have camera side mirrors been approved for the US? Are the patented "laser wipers" real?
The regulations on the mirror aren't finalized. I don't expect Musk will say anything about the mirrors until they are.

No idea of the laser thing. I wouldn't hold too much hope for something like that based on a a patent filing alone.

I think this is the update.

jhciv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Cybertruck; First Production Model 3
Country flag
The regulations on the mirror aren't finalized. I don't expect Musk will say anything about the mirrors until they are.

No idea of the laser thing. I wouldn't hold too much hope for something like that based on a a patent filing alone.

I think this is the update.
I'm not holding out hope for anything, just noting that "almost exactly the same" suggests no big visual changes like traditional wipers or mirrors. You could be right about the update, which is disappointing.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm not holding out hope for anything, just noting that "almost exactly the same" suggests no big visual changes like traditional wipers or mirrors. You could be right about the update, which is disappointing.
I think Crissa makes a great point about the Rivian announcement. Until these little dribs and drabs, I kind of expected they would wait until that and drop their announcement as well.

The big thing I'm concerned with at this point is some kind of announcement on start of production. Other than that, I wasn't really expecting a lot of changes. That might not come until they have the new giga press installed and the first few test runs complete with it.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I read somewhere (in a thread) the CT production line is being built and test run in Fremont and will be shipped to Austin once the space for it is ready there to deploy.

This will have considerable consequences on the timeline, and could potentially bring everything forward. It makes sense, IMHO to build the CT line in Fremont first. Because they already have all the people there to make it and tune it and operate it. Starting the line in Austin would be a headache, because you'd have to get the tools and people there to do it, but then you'd have to wait for Austin to be finshed first.

I think we might be in for a surprise.

Taylorlax17

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck>
Occupation
Videographer
Country flag
Just in from Elon:

In end, we kept production design almost exactly same as show car. Just some small tweaks here & there to make it slightly better. No door handles. Car recognizes you & opens door. Having all four wheels steer is amazing for nimble handling & tight turns!

Do you think the rear-wheel steering will affect the prices?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I read somewhere (in a thread) the CT production line is being built and test run in Fremont and will be shipped to Austin once the space for it is ready there to deploy.
I don't think the Giga Press is something you install in one place then relocate. I seem to recall when they put the first one in, they installed it then built the building around it.
Sponsored