Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Honestly the no handle thing may be one of the deal breakers for me. I wonder if it has anything to do with the thick stainless and trying to get a waterproof handle assembly in there. I work a lot around my truck and I often need to get in my unlocked truck without having the keys on me. And I often walk by my truck with my keys in me and I don’t want the foot popping open all the time. A lot of people are going to be doing more than driving this truck back and forth to their office parking lot every day. A lot of truck owners work out of their truck. This handleless FOB idea is really not going to be good IMO.
Most things with Tesla seem to start with reducing weight, cost, or drag (preferably all three!).

The big question in my eyes are how do you control this? If I walk up to the car it opens, but my car is parked out in front of my house, is it going to pop open every time I walk past it? Do the passenger doors pop open when someone approaches on that side?

I've mostly come around to this idea, but just trying to sort out how it would work. If it works when you just touch the door, that seems like it would be more convenient than a door latch, but the demo showed it opening for him on approach.
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Good, cancel your order and allow the more open minded people behind you to move up a notch.
This is no joke. People have burned alive in Tesla’s because someone couldn’t open the door fast enough. My brother was rescued while overdosing in a car because someone was able to break the window fast enough. Relying solely on electronics for life saving features is foolish. Yes, electronic advancements are amazing but this is definitely a case where people need more assurance they are safe.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Itl

if it works like the model 3 the Bluetooth on your phone unlocks and locks the doors. Bluetooth distance is 30 feet.
We’ll I hope you remembered to charge your phone when the zombie apocalypse starts.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's not just peak demand, in particular here it's peak solar generation that is the problem.
No.

Your premise is flawed. And your description is overly complex.

Solar merely reduces the base rate take-up. But running generators twenty-four-seven isn't cheap. So losing them doesn't hurt us.

They're predicting a failure point and then making it come true before solar and renewables are a large enough part of the grid to be a problem.

They're lying, for profit.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is no joke. People have burned alive in Tesla’s because someone couldn’t open the door fast enough.
This isn't true.

Everything is relying on electronics. Doors don't just open from the outside, and rarely in accidents strong enough to impinge upon the battery pack are the doors undamaged.

Hold a key with just the tip (less than 1/4") sticking from your fist. Between your pinky and palm is best. Strike the window with the key, using your whole arm like a hammer. Wrap a coat or use a shoe to knock out the broken glass. Entry gained.

-Crissa

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
This is no joke. People have burned alive in Tesla’s because someone couldn’t open the door fast enough.
Citation/link to any incidents? I'm not aware of any of those.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Still with the handles? Getting out of a handle-less Tesla is like any other car, there is a handle inside.

I'm a lot more intrigued by the 4 wheel steering. Anyone ever driven a truck with this kind of feature before?

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Still with the handles? Getting out of a handle-less Tesla is like any other car, there is a handle inside.

I'm a lot more intrigued by the 4 wheel steering. Anyone ever driven a truck with this kind of feature before?
I owned one of the quadrasteer trucks back in the day. I did some semi-regular light towing at that time but honestly it wasnt anything to write home about. I’m sure the CT will be more advanced but the quadrasteer did not turn the rear wheels much at all. I don’t know the exact angle but If you turned the front wheels full left for example the rear tires would only turn maybe 30% of that. I believe it would no longer turn rear wheels after a certain speed was reached but I wouldn’t swear to that point. It may have had more capability than I realized at the time but I didnt really need it and wasn’t interested enough to learn about it. I welcome the idea of rear steering on the CT though because it can be used to its’ full potential.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Oh I did just think of another benefit to the quadrasteer, it was slightly wider than the typical rear end of a Chevy truck which made it feel more stable than other chevys I had owned although it could have been only in my mind.

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
Honestly the no handle thing may be one of the deal breakers for me. I wonder if it has anything to do with the thick stainless and trying to get a waterproof handle assembly in there. I work a lot around my truck and I often need to get in my unlocked truck without having the keys on me. And I often walk by my truck with my keys in me and I don’t want the foot popping open all the time. A lot of people are going to be doing more than driving this truck back and forth to their office parking lot every day. A lot of truck owners work out of their truck. This handleless FOB idea is really not going to be good IMO.
I would guess that there will be an option on the control panel for how you want to configure/tweak the door opening.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
We’ll I hope you remembered to charge your phone when the zombie apocalypse starts.
You have a key card backup to keep in your wallet. Presumably the truck will be the same.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Suggestion:

1. Keep your reservation
2. Cancel order if the doors do not work for you
3. If you cancel, ask Tesla to contact me to complete the order.

I am predicting, and you can quote me, the outside handleless doors concerns will mostly evaporate once used.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I would guess that there will be an option on the control panel for how you want to configure/tweak the door opening.
And to make it part of the security system. When set, and a perp is detected to be next to the door, it will suddenly pop open with enough force to knock them over. Then close again.

"That truck assaulted me!"

Cop: "Tell it to the judge, son".
Sponsored