cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
not at all to disagree with what you’re saying, because ai just don’t know, but:

he’s similarly missed just about every other release, to nearly the same degree

so maybe it is just another example of the cycle?
Sponsored

Barb

First Name
Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S
Occupation
retired teacher
Country flag
If you look at the potential user/need for a built in ramp in the tailgate it’s a low demand option. Probably after thorough consideration and engineering discussions they decided to omit that option.
Cant blame them. Probably less than 1% need/will use it. Now having an easy way to step into the bed may be something they’ll offer as an aftermarket. If not, they’ll be tons of aftermarket makers coming up with clever solutions. They’ll probably be better than what they came up with.
Well, I don't know where you're getting your information, but where I live, it would be very important to be able to load equipment to bring to be fixed. Also, if I need to get into the bed many times, like when hauling mulch and then unloading it, it would be nice to be able to walk up and down the ramp. That and the bed cover were the selling points for me.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Well, I don't know where you're getting your information, but where I live, it would be very important to be able to load equipment to bring to be fixed. Also, if I need to get into the bed many times, like when hauling mulch and then unloading it, it would be nice to be able to walk up and down the ramp. That and the bed cover were the selling points for me.
i *think* the counter points being made are from the perspective of a population level, and given alternative solutions.

which is to say, i don't think anyone (including Musk) would suggest there is *noone* or even *no group* of individuals whose buying decision would turn on the integrated ramp.

but the relevant question from a production and design standpiont is at the population level. the question there is, "given that there are alternative solutions in the market for most folks who *need* ramps, how important is it that we include ramps into the design** of every truck, given the associated all-in costs of doing so"

*some will feel compelled to say, e.g., "then don't build it into every truck, make it an option" - but that misses the fact that every tailgate must be designed then to accept such an accessory, or to instead have an entirely second tailgate assembly line for the 'option'

and obviously not to suggest that this isn't possible, but instead to say that if we *dont* see the ramp we'd expect something like the above line of thinking to be the reasoning behind it

a flourish like a built-in tailgate ramp can't withstand a whole lot of manufacturing reality before becoming an increasingly less viable idea

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
With the truck in kneel mode and tailgate down, how far off the ground would the surface of the tailgate be? 2'? If so then not too high of a step up and almost doable for most of us old geezers and dogs, and if we need to attach a ramp, the length wouldn't need to be as long as one for 4WD full size pickups that don't have an air suspension or kneel modes.
Below is my analysis of that.

The final answer depends on the height of the tailgate lip's surface when the truck is at its lowest ride height (A), and the range of the ride height adjustment (B). The other factors are the wheelbase (assumed 142"), rear overhang to the tailgate hinge (47") and tailgate length from hinge (24").

If A and B are 30" inches and 8", the surface of the tailgate lip is about 26" above a level road surface.

Tesla Cybertruck Let's talk ramp inside tailgate... Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 10.28.41 AM

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
or to instead have an entirely second tailgate assembly line for the 'option'
Yes, This.

If ramp is not going to be standard on all Cybertrucks then offer an option for factory install of purposely designed tailgate with integrated ramp or option for install at service center of tailgate with integrated ramp.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Yes, This.

If ramp is not going to be standard on all Cybertrucks then offer an option for factory install of purposely designed tailgate with integrated ramp or option for install at service center of tailgate with integrated ramp.

there's no doubt theyve run the numbers on these things - it's not lost on them that they once told people it would have it, and there's a marketing/PR cost to not offering it.

but they could similarly offer a CT without 4WS. or a CT with sail pillar storage. or a CT with a heads-up display. the list goes on (way on)

and all such ideas are subject to this same sort of analysis: because they *could* do it, they *should* do it?

at some point, obviously, ideas meet market realities.

JWass

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Where I live 70-80% of the vehicles sold are trucks. Most don’t have the fancy tailgate stuff. Most are pure work trucks which are stripped down. The second most are used as commuter and not used for its utility unless hauling garbage or the occasional hardware store pickup. The third most camp and would use that ramp. I live in a very rural area where trucks dominate. Literally it feels like Texas sometimes. So, like I said. I’m sure there’s a need but that need represents, As A Whole, very few of the Total sales.

I guarantee most buyers are commuters that want the utility and flexibility of a truck without the guilt of commuting in one. That’s what I’m doing and many others I know are doing. Just take a straw poll on here. I’d be curious of those results.

Barb

First Name
Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S
Occupation
retired teacher
Country flag
Where I live 70-80% of the vehicles sold are trucks. Most don’t have the fancy tailgate stuff. Most are pure work trucks which are stripped down. The second most are used as commuter and not used for its utility unless hauling garbage or the occasional hardware store pickup. The third most camp and would use that ramp. I live in a very rural area where trucks dominate. Literally it feels like Texas sometimes. So, like I said. I’m sure there’s a need but that need represents, As A Whole, very few of the Total sales.

I guarantee most buyers are commuters that want the utility and flexibility of a truck without the guilt of commuting in one. That’s what I’m doing and many others I know are doing. Just take a straw poll on here. I’d be curious of those results.
Yeah, I live in Vermont, so it's pretty rural, too. Most vehicles are trucks. I guess I'm just getting fed up with prices going through the roof and what you get for your money goes down. It's just one more broken promise by Tesla. I guess I should be used to it, but it's not in my nature to give my word only to renege, and it bothers me more than I can say when others do it.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
…Also, if I need to get into the bed many times, like when hauling mulch and then unloading it, it would be nice to be able to walk up and down the ramp. ...
People like to reference how great that ramp would be but the prototype was certainly way too steep for walking up and down! And it looks too steep for pushing something heavy like a wheel barrow. In my opinion, it would help get a heavy motorized vehicle into the bed but that’s about it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
People like to reference how great that ramp would be but the prototype was certainly way too steep for walking up and down! And it looks too steep for pushing something heavy like a wheel barrow. In my opinion, it would help get a heavy motorized vehicle into the bed but that’s about it.
The prototype didn't even match the rendering. It was just a prototype.

-Crissa

OP
OP

bruce91748

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Now-M3 RWD, Taycan CT4 Past-MS90D,BMW i3,Polestar2
Country flag
If this opening spans the entire width of the tailgate, I'd be OK to trim two 2x6's to store inside and call it a day.
Tesla Cybertruck Let's talk ramp inside tailgate... 1697759837850

Barb

First Name
Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S
Occupation
retired teacher
Country flag
I wonder if the suspension were lowered and I wonder how many panels there are. I have an electric ride-on lawn mower that will need servicing, and was hoping to be able to transport it because of the ramp. I might have to get one of those pull-behind trailers, but room is becoming an issue.
Sponsored