MrKashima

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Missed a couple pages. I assume that means people are claiming the price is another 20% higher?

Are we in Mazarati territory yet?
Haha! People now think it’s going to be double the original price.

They seem to think supply and demand is going to get a million people to buy $130k trucks.

Come on, let’s be real guys.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And yet at $70k, the performance Model Y can't be produced fast enough. Just because it seems crazy to you (and to me for that matter) doesn't mean you set the price. Supply and demand with an eye towards competition sets the price. A top of the line Lightening is now going to cost over $100k and a BASE Model X is $121k. The top of the line CT Quad Motor will be superior to both of those models in many respects and will also be the hottest vehicle in the world. There is no way they price it below $130k. I know all the fanboys want to think that Elon is some benevolent human that will make an amazing vehicle and sell it for as cheap as possible, but at the end of the day they have proven to increase prices in response to demand so that they can maximize profits and NO vehicle has the demand that the CT has! You can buy me a beer next year (hopefully) when I'm right.
Why do you reference Model X prices? When the truck was revealed the pricing was more similar to the 3 and Y. Any reference to S and X wouldn't make sense in 2019 after the real and don't make much sense now.

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
Pretty funny. Can I get some of what you’re smoking? :D

$130k is laughable for a truck. Lightning price is a joke at how many they make a year. Better off making Ferrari.

As for the “hottest vehicle in the world”. Lol

Ford sold 700k F150s in 2021. They didn’t do it at $130k a pop.

Think on that, 700k in 2021. Think per year. I’ve no doubt the cybertruck can be a huge seller. At $130k rofl rofl rofl Tesla sells something like 30-40k cars a year at that price. Now that is pretty amazing but at that rate, they’d fulfill their order sometime in…. Never.
I didn't say every cyber truck ever sold was going to be that expensive... I just said the quad motor that first gets offered will be that expensive. And yes, I think they have more than enough demand from super rich silicon valley Bros that will eat them up for their low production volume run that first year.

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
Pretty funny. Can I get some of what you’re smoking? :D

$130k is laughable for a truck. Lightning price is a joke at how many they make a year. Better off making Ferrari.

As for the “hottest vehicle in the world”. Lol

Ford sold 700k F150s in 2021. They didn’t do it at $130k a pop.

Think on that, 700k in 2021. Think per year. I’ve no doubt the cybertruck can be a huge seller. At $130k rofl rofl rofl Tesla sells something like 30-40k cars a year at that price. Now that is pretty amazing but at that rate, they’d fulfill their order sometime in…. Never.
By the way, I agree that it's laughable... That doesn't mean I'm wrong

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
Why do you reference Model X prices? When the truck was revealed the pricing was more similar to the 3 and Y. Any reference to S and X wouldn't make sense in 2019 after the real and don't make much sense now.
The tri motor was far more expensive than any 3 or y in 2019 and now Tesla is going to make it a quad motor. At the time it was introduced the tri motor was supposed to be $70,000, the entry level model x was $80,000. If you upgraded to the performance model x it was $104,000. So if you add a similar increase in price to that tri motor to make it a quad motor, you can easily get a 2019 price of around $90,000 for the quad motorcycle truck compared to the base model x at $80,000. So in 2019 terms, a quad motor version of the cybertruck would have been at least 10% more expensive than a base model x. Now, extrapolate that to 2022 pricing and the base model x and you will have a quad motor cyber truck that is starting just over $130,000. You may not like it, but if you want to go back in time with your logic then you need to extrapolate it out correctly.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Did I hear lightning is up $8500 ?

We do know Jim Farley said inflation had eroded profits.

SO !!!

Is it drawing a long bow to put 2 and 2 together and say a $8500 increase has reset the price point for Ford ?

Fords action should be an indicator.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I didn't say every cyber truck ever sold was going to be that expensive... I just said the quad motor that first gets offered will be that expensive. And yes, I think they have more than enough demand from super rich silicon valley Bros that will eat them up for their low production volume run that first year.
Ok say you are right.. which most likely you are about the demand from super rich silicon valley bros. Then how large is this demand/market from super rich silicon valley bros? I suspect its not much larger than the list of fanboy bros that attended the Investor Relations meeting last week.

Certainly not an appreciable percentage of the worldwide, or even US based truck market.

WA-CyberDriver

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Dual Motor
Country flag
Well, Tesla currently sells the entry level version of their premium SUV for that much... And that's an unattractive SUV that basically has 8-year-old styling, so you don't think the top of the line cybertruck with more motors, more power, more hype, and exponentially more demand can't garner the same respect and price point as that inferior entry level model x?
No.

The Model X is a niche vehicle that hasn't sold even 500k vehicles in its 8 years of existence. Is there a market at that price? Yes. Is that the core of the demand? Unlikely.

Can a decked out quad plaid gold-plated CT sell for $180k on the secondary market? Sure... but not many.

I just spec'd out an ICE vehicle for my needs at $75k. It seems highly unlikely that there will not be a CT in that price range (+/- $10k) with similar specs. Possible, but unlikely.

Last edited:

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
Ok say you are right.. which most likely you are about the demand from super rich silicon valley bros. Then how large is this demand/market from super rich silicon valley bros? I suspect its not much larger than the list of fanboy bros that attended the Investor Relations meeting last week.

Certainly not an appreciable percentage of the worldwide, or even US based truck market.
I think that's the mistake people are making... Everyone is seeing the cybertruck as an everyday person's truck. I just don't think that's the case. When has Tesla been an affordable entry-level car for anyone? They'll get there someday but they've never been that up until this point and probably won't be with the cyber truck either.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I think that's the mistake people are making... Everyone is seeing the cybertruck as an everyday person's truck. I just don't think that's the case. When has Tesla been an affordable entry-level car for anyone? They'll get there someday but they've never been that up until this point and probably won't be with the cyber truck either.
I agree. Mostly. Except with the CT they themselves have said they expect to produce 500k units a year. Not doing that per year in the luxury niche market.

Maybe the first few years they can meet their maximum capacity to produce within this luxury market, but how many years of back log at that price range is possible, and once they get through that.. what's the attainable yearly demand at that luxury price target for a truck? Maybe 50k units or less is my guess. So they need to fill a huge gap in that 500k/year target somehow.

And I think this gap is where most of us on here are really trying to debate how pricing affects the scale of demand to meet that yearly target. Some think there are lots of more well off individuals willing to jump head first into a very polarizing looking truck than others. I am more on the other end of that spectrum and think they need to be really mind blowing with their pricing to drag people over that polarizing hurdle and away from the more traditional options.

Example: I've tried my best to convince my father that the f150 lightning is not worth it compared to the CT, mainly because I think the range is laughable especially for him in Florida where he drives daily that Max range distance. Simply because of the stylings he won't even consider the range benefits between the two.

I don't think the market can provide the demand many on here think there is based on the fact that truck people like trucks, not space trucks or back to the future trucks.

Last edited:

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
No.

The Model X is a niche vehicle that hasn't sold even 500k vehicles in its 8 years of existence. Is there a market at that price? Yes. Is that the core of the demand? Unlikely.

Can a decked out quad plaid gold-plated CT sell for $180k on the secondary market? Sure... but not many.

I just spec'd out an ICE vehicle for my needs at $75k. It seems highly unlikely that there will not be a CT in that price range (+/- $10k) with similar specs. Possible, but unlikely.
Quad CT will sell for over$200k in aftermarket for a while

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I agree. Mostly. Except with the CT they themselves have said they expect to produce 500k units a year. Not doing that per year in the luxury niche market.

Maybe the first few years they can meet their maximum capacity to produce within this luxury market, but how many years of back log at that price range is possible, and once they get through that.. what's the attainable yearly demand at that luxury price target for a truck? Maybe 50k units or less is my guess. So they need to fill a huge gap in that 500k/year target somehow.
Exactly, I expect that someday they'll eventually have a $60 to $70,000 entry level Cyber truck, but I think the quad motor will be produced almost exclusively at first to absorb the big spenders for as long as possible. then when they sense that demand is starting to deteriorate in relation to supply, they'll start producing less expense models to eventually support a 500,000 per year run rate. But until they get production going at full capacity, there's no incentive for them to sell anything other than the most expensive version and I think that will be roughly $130,000 to start

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag

And I think this gap is where most of us on here are really trying to debate how pricing affects the scale of demand to meet that yearly target. Some think there are lots of more well off individuals willing to jump head first into a very polarizing looking truck than others. I am more on the other end of that spectrum and think they need to be really mind blowing with their pricing to drag people over that polarizing hurdle and away from the more traditional options.

Example: I've tried my best to convince my father that the f150 lightning is not worth it compared to the CT, mainly because I think the range is laughable especially for him in Florida where he drives daily that Max range distance. Simply because of the stylings he won't even consider the range benefits between the two.

I don't think the market can provide the demand many on here think there is based on the fact that truck people like trucks, not space trucks or back to the future trucks.
Pretty sure Elon said they were planning on producing 250,000 Cybertrucks per year.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.