Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I suspect a lot of the people flipping the truck will be the same ones who think its going to be an expensive status symbol. They’ll buy it, enjoy the novelty of having the only one on the block for a few weeks, then realize how much of a pain in the ass it is to own a mega truck.

This is an article that got truck buyer demographics from Ford (Tesla’s target audience for the Cybertruck).

The average age of the new F-150 buyer is 55. It may not be too surprising that about 16% of new Ford F-150 owners are female/84% male. …

The average household income of a new Ford F-150 owner is about $82,000 per year. By comparison the median household income in the United States is $61,937.
That’s average household income… not individual income.

How many people who live on $82k per year are going to be able to afford a $120k truck?

I know I know… The Cybertruck is going to fabricate a whole new, massive 250k/ year buyer base of white collar high income buyers…

The number of mental hoops you gotta jump through to make these a six figure base Cybertruck price work is mind boggling.
Sponsored

Green-Mario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I suspect a lot of the people flipping the truck will be the same ones who think its going to be an expensive status symbol. They’ll buy it, enjoy the novelty of having the only one on the block for a few weeks, then realize how much of a pain in the ass it is to own a mega truck.

This is an article that got truck buyer demographics from Ford (Tesla’s target audience for the Cybertruck).

That’s average household income… not individual income.

How many people who live on $82k per year are going to be able to afford a $120k truck?

I know I know… The Cybertruck is going to fabricate a whole new, massive 250k/ year buyer base of white collar high income buyers…

The number of mental hoops you gotta jump through to make these a six figure base Cybertruck price work is mind boggling.
I hope you know my last post was entirely joking. I don't think the base CT will be much more than the competition. So... $45-50k. However, the big stats, and the mega truck version also should not be less than the range toppers from the competition either. Ford sells plenty of $100k+ F-150s, and that doesn't even touch the F-250+ crowds. TONS of people with $50-$80k annuals buy trucks well over $100k. If not in the from factory price, easily with all the dumb mods and lifts these same people throw on their trucks. I could understand your mind being boggled if you didn't understand the madness that is the truck community. These things will sell at $100k+ if that is where they land, guaranteed. Look at the competition. Heck find me 1 500 mile range EV of any kind that is less than $100k. I actually don't think the quad CT will be $100k base. I do think it may be optioned up to that level though.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I hope you know my last post was entirely joking. I don't think the base CT will be much more than the competition. So... $45-50k. However, the big stats, and the mega truck version also should not be less than the range toppers from the competition either. Ford sells plenty of $100k+ F-150s, and that doesn't even touch the F-250+ crowds. TONS of people with $50-$80k annuals buy trucks well over $100k. If not in the from factory price, easily with all the dumb mods and lifts these same people throw on their trucks. I could understand your mind being boggled if you didn't understand the madness that is the truck community. These things will sell at $100k+ if that is where they land, guaranteed. Look at the competition. Heck find me 1 500 mile range EV of any kind that is less than $100k. I actually don't think the quad CT will be $100k base. I do think it may be optioned up to that level though.
You should probably check your numbers. Ford does not sell “Plenty of $100k+ F-150s”.

From that same article, the top F150 Platinum was $75k just a couple years ago. That was the top model. Even with the electric F-150, only the topmost truck is close to $100k.

Tesla Cybertruck Musk: "Cybertruck pricing and specs will be different, but it will be a damn fine product." 1660847621146

There may well be a $100k Cybertruck. But most Cybertrucks will sell for much less than that. Tesla is shooting for being competitive with the F150 ICE, not their EVs. Competitive in terms of TCO, not purchase price.

Green-Mario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You should probably check your numbers. Ford does not sell “Plenty of $100k+ F-150s”.

From that same article, the top F150 Platinum was $75k just a couple years ago. That was the top model. Even with the electric F-150, only the topmost truck is close to $100k.

1660847621146.png

There may well be a $100k Cybertruck. But most Cybertrucks will sell for much less than that. Tesla is shooting for being competitive with the F150 ICE, not their EVs. Competitive in terms of TCO, not purchase price.
That was the goal before, when this was announced and there were 0 EV trucks on the market. The CT is 100% competing with other EV trucks now. And yes, the F-150 lightning top trim is $100k. That is what we are talking about, the top trim of the CT vs the top trim of their competition. Keep in mind this $100k Ford EV has 300 miles, and boring specs compared to the top spec CT. Then there is the Silverado EV RST, then the Rivian R1T, the Hummer EV, all these are current market examples of what to expect for the CT. Because the market is very different from where it was when these were announced.

samson

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Occupation
yolo'r
Country flag
Guys Cybertruck will be in the premium segment like Model S and X.

It will differentiate the mass high volume and the elite low volume products. you wont find Cybertruck launching less than $85k...

Just pick up on the hints, models S - steering wheel, Model S like Instrument Cluster. Model S like 17" horizontal screen. Model S like range and sub 3 sec 0-60 specs.

Youre dreaming if you think yall can buy a $45k - $55k CT. This would have been a good guess maybe in 2019 when they announced the prices.

But the biggest hint of all is when Elon had mentioned that its impossible to keep prices that low with inflation etc and the 4680 arent going to be cheaper in the initial periods.

The nail in the coffin to withdraw all our $100 deposits will be probably next year when they officially release the prices.

Green-Mario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
ZERO indication this goal has changed.
Oh there is definitely indication. The current existing market is your indication. Tesla is a business to make money after all. Just because Elon has not tweeted about it does not mean there isn't an indication of the EV truck market and its trends, pricing, and competition. Tesla would be losing money by not selling their products at the market prices based on their specs. If Tesla sells it all for less than the competition, they are leaving billions on the table that will be gobbled up by resellers. It is not in Tesla's best interest to undercut the competition in price unless the specs and offerings are lesser than the higher priced options. If the CT is as good as its been touted as, they need to price it right. The way of the World

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Guys Cybertruck will be in the premium segment like Model S and X.
Huge assumption here based on absolutely nothing from Tesla.

Tesla has ordered massive, purpose built equipment for the Cybertruck. That equipment is capable of producing 5x the combined sales of the Model S and Model X. The Cybertruck is going to be priced so they can utilize that equipment to its maximum potential.

The market for $100k+ trucks is 10s of thousands per year. Tesla will be making 250k Cybertrucks per year by the middle of 2024. They would run out of customers.

He (Musk) said, "you can't kind of just raise prices to some arbitrarily high level because you pass the affordability boundary and then the demand falls off a cliff."

"(Prices) are frankly at embarrassing levels.”
Source

There seems to be this idea in some people’s heads that the Cybertruck will be a sort of nerd status symbol so it must be for the wealthy. That’s not what Musk or Tesla have said or communicated. If you want a status symbol vehicle… buy the Roadster.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Oh there is definitely indication. The current existing market is your indication. Tesla is a business to make money after all. Just because Elon has not tweeted about it does not mean there isn't an indication of the EV truck market and its trends, pricing, and competition. Tesla would be losing money by not selling their products at the market prices based on their specs. If Tesla sells it all for less than the competition, they are leaving billions on the table that will be gobbled up by resellers. It is not in Tesla's best interest to undercut the competition in price unless the specs and offerings are lesser than the higher priced options. If the CT is as good as its been touted as, they need to price it right. The way of the World
“The Market” for EV trucks??

The one where literally 10,000 electric trucks have been manufactured and sold to date? That market? You think pricing for the first 10,000 trucks will determine pricing for the next million?

Green-Mario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
“The Market” for EV trucks??

The one where literally 10,000 electric trucks have been manufactured and sold to date? That market? You think pricing for the first 10,000 trucks will determine pricing for the next million?
Yes. Thats how markets work.

These EV trucks have been mostly Range topping specs. Because that is the most profitable. All of these EV trucks also have cheaper entry level trims, but those are not really being sold yet, but they will once/if volume for those picks up. However, for the CT it will be priced competitively to their competition. To your point, Tesla does and should price their vehicles as high as demand/supply allows. Tesla is selling a million + of $60-70k vehicles today, right now. There is demand for high priced, cutting edge vehicles. What makes you think they wouldn't be able to sell just as many of these trucks at the same starting prices?

The CT will be similar to the competition my man, sorry to say.

Green-Mario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
LOL… it is literally the exact opposite of how markets work.

You should read up on the concept of economies of scale.

Also, read what Musk said about pricing and cliffs again.
Bud, Tesla TODAY is selling 1+ million EVs a year at an average price of 65-66k. The economies of scale are proving that there is PLENTY of market for high priced vehicles with a Tesla badge on them. I get that you really really want the CT to be as cheap as you dream it will be. However, there is plenty of $$ and market demand for higher priced vehicles. When this truck launches, it will be years and years and years until demand is met. The pricing of the vehicle will match the current economies of scale. Unless of course you don't count Tesla's volumes and current prices as economies of scale pricing?

With a saturated market (which EV trucks wont be for a very long time) prices may start to fall. However, it will still be priced to match competition. I would be upset if Tesla did not price these vehicles to match demand, and the market they are launching into. Today, that suggests a starting price of $65k is completely and totally justified, with plenty of overhead room. I know I would buy a couple at $100k... not to mention the price those vehicles would command in an after market sale... not sure how you could afford to not buy one if you are lucky enough to get one in the first year or two.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Bud, Tesla TODAY is selling 1+ million EVs a year at an average price of 65-66k. The economies of scale are proving that there is PLENTY of market for high priced vehicles with a Tesla badge on them.
I get that you really want to have this exclusive maximum nerd-cred truck. But you don’t seem to grasp what Tesla’s goals are. Nor do you seem to get the very basics of supply and demand curves.

You are even mis-stating the existing electric truck market. Most electric trucks sell for under $100k. Look at Ford’s lineup. Look at Rivian’s. You can get trucks spec’d that high, but it’s hardly the norm.

You cannot sell millions of truck for $100k when the vast majority of truck buyers only make $82k/ year. There aren’t enough nerds out there looking for a status symbol to support the kind of volume Tesla wants either. I am a nerd. I appreciate the nerd appeal, not an insult. I can also afford a $100k truck. But white collar/ nerd crowd isn’t going to support this vehicle.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not just replace ICE vehicles but to accelerate the transition. Not just wait for the transition to happen.
BINGO

Tesla doesn’t just want to make a fist full of cash selling a few trucks.

They want to sell 20m vehicles a year by 2030. They can’t get there by focusing on the luxury market.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.